Squareenix Security Breach

This is a discussion on Squareenix Security Breach within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I don't know if this is the right forum but thought I would post it here anyways. I just got ...

Resident PHD

Squareenix Security Breach

I don't know if this is the right forum but thought I would post it here anyways. I just got this email from SquareEnix.

Dear Square Enix Member,

You are receiving this email because Square Enix detected a limited server intrusion on December 12, 2011, and temporarily suspended the US/JP editions of the SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS service in order to conduct an investigation.

Based on our investigation, we have found no evidence at this point that any personal information was accessed. User login credentials and credit card information are not stored on the affected server. We are continuing to investigate.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by the temporary suspension of the SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS service. We take data security extremely seriously and we regret any inconvenience this may have caused our customers and fans. We appreciate your patience and support at this time as we finalize our investigation in the next few days.

Any updates will be posted on our corporate website at: SQUARE ENIX

Sincerely,

SQUARE ENIX
    So if anyone else has an account they can be warned. I would also like to point out that this happened on the 12th and I only got an announcement now so it seems standard practice to inform the customers days after the event (I still haven't heard from Valve but whatever)

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    (I still haven't heard from Valve but whatever)

if you actually used steam on pc you would of gotten letters and stuff. Steam doesn't like sending mail newsletters and stuff for anything (except steam guard and password recovery stuff) due to the potential for phishing.

also square enix is terrible at security, this is like their second intrustion in 12 months (The last time was into edios/deus ex related stuff)

The One and Only

Alot of Security breaches I've been hearing about this year.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    if you actually used steam on pc you would of gotten letters and stuff. Steam doesn't like sending mail newsletters and stuff for anything due to the potential for phishing.

also square enix is terrible at security, this is like their second intrustion in 12 months (The last time was into edios/deus ex related stuff)
    I never got a letter or email from Steam. Valve's security is just as bad since they got hacked. But who are we kidding? You can't stop hackers completely. So it's only a matter of time.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

if you actually used steam on pc you would of gotten letters and stuff. Steam doesn't like sending mail newsletters and stuff for anything (except steam guard and password recovery stuff) due to the potential for phishing.
    "Letters and stuff"? What does that even mean? I use steam almost every day and I recieved NOTHING. If I hadn't read about it on some gaming news websites, I never would have known there was an intrusion.
    Last edited by CapnKoala; 12-17-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

Resident PHD

I do use steam on PC but the only reason I knew about the breach is because I heard about it here. My brother never got anything either.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yeah, the news was about 2-3 days ago.
    Gamespot - Square Enix Site hacked
    And we JUST got the email recently, lol

PRO Member

Weird...I only got the email today...good thing I don't have an account with them, lol.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CapnKoala View Post
    "Letters and stuff"? What does that even mean? I use steam almost every day and I recieved NOTHING. If I hadn't read about it on some gaming news websites, I never would have known there was an intrusion.
    there was a giant news update page dedicated to the thing.

it stayed up for a week or two and they forced it to be the #1 News update page all the time (it's the Giant ass window that opens up that advertises stuff to you).

it's where the news sites posted that news from.

it was force fed to every steam user.

it was a gigantic black background with white text with a special layout unlike other adverts.

i have no idea how you or anyone you know missed that.
    Last edited by Ps360; 12-17-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    I never got a letter or email from Steam. Valve's security is just as bad since they got hacked. But who are we kidding? You can't stop hackers completely. So it's only a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKoala View Post
    Really? I was sent a message telling me what happened .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    it actually popped up in front of my face so much i was annoyed by it.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Nope, not like I care anyways since I only have like 2 free games on the account I made. I never got a "letter" or an email. I check my email everyday. Only reason I knew to go change my PW and stuff was because of this site lol.

But user info and data, everyone's info is out for the grabbing for whoever wants it. Which is why I find it funny when people(ps360) make such a big deal about people getting hacked and all your data being "stolen". Or that their security sucks...

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    But user info and data, everyone's info is out for the grabbing for whoever wants it. Which is why I find it funny when people(ps360) make such a big deal about people getting hacked and all your data being "stolen". Or that their security sucks...
    Sony didn't encrypt anything except credit card info, they are stupid and deserved the massive blowout

Valve Encrypted all information then hashed and salted it, they are smart, but stupid that they let hackers in. that was all the attention they needed.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Sony didn't encrypt anything except credit card info, they are stupid and deserved the massive blowout

Valve Encrypted all information then hashed and salted it, they are smart, but stupid that they let hackers in. that was all the attention they needed.
    No, Valve did NOT encrypt all information, or hashed and salted it. The SAME information was openly available just as PSN. I love how you try and spice it up like Valve did it all right, no. It was the same.

Is Valve’s Steam Hack as Bad as the Sony PlayStation Debacle? | Techland | TIME.com

“We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums,” wrote Valve bigwig Gabe Newell in a note to Steam users Thursday evening. “This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information.”

Read more: Is Valve’s Steam Hack as Bad as the Sony PlayStation Debacle? | Techland | TIME.com
    Your Billing address, email, game purchases and everything was out in the open. Only thing encrypted was your CC info and password. So your telling me Valve is as smart as Sony and SE? Or Sony and SE is as smart as Valve? I don't get it. You can't say one thing, when it's the same for the others, yet only support Valve... It's called being a hypocrite. So who's really the stupid one here? Valve? Sony? SE? or You?

Edit: Lol, just did a search and found a good thread. Just goes to show you the type of mentality when it comes to Valve Fanboys like Ps360 vs. any other company.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...72&postcount=1

That's the initial post, but the thread will show you just how uninformed people like Ps360 really is, and the fact that they think the Valve hacking is ok, yet the Sony hacking is a curse to man kind. Yet the same info was stolen, with the same encryptions in place.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

A company can make mistakes, like we can. Yes mistakes can be costly, but Sony did something right when nobody had reported their CC info ever being legit stolen.

It was a stupid mistake, but like the ones we all make, we move on, grow, and learn from it. Every company has faced a time of unfortunate events.

Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Valve...

You want to defend Steam and those you choose by adding the bullshit of what they did different or better, but really the point is that Regardless of what they did, they all got hacked. Period.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Im member in the europe SQ member thingy....not effected ( for them that are).
    Thanks for the headsup.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box