Associated Press gives Portal 2 GOTY, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Bastion, and Batman: AC round out the top 5

This is a discussion on Associated Press gives Portal 2 GOTY, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Bastion, and Batman: AC round out the top 5 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Portal 2 crowned best game of 2011 by the Associated Press | Joystiq The AP has unleashed its list of ...

PRO Member

Associated Press gives Portal 2 GOTY, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Bastion, and Batman: AC round out the top 5

Portal 2 crowned best game of 2011 by the Associated Press | Joystiq

The AP has unleashed its list of top ten games this year and ... it's a pretty competent list. Not only did Bastion make the cut, but so did Rayman Origins and, as you may have guessed from the headline to this very post, Portal 2.

Valve's game took top honors, followed by Skyrim and then Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Rounding out the top five are Bastion and Rocksteady's sequel, Batman: Arkham City. In a year so full of great games, we envy AP's finished list -- for us, the work of choosing our favorite games of 2011 is only about to begin.
    Can't say I agree with the selection, not that I have a problem with 4 of the 5 in the top-5... Just Skyrim's inclusion.

Every version of Skyrim was plagued with bugs, and this type of praise only encourages piss-poor engineering by Bethesda.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Every version of Skyrim was plagued with bugs, and this type of praise only encourages piss-poor engineering by Bethesda.
    I completely agree. I mean I love Skyrim, burned so many hours into that game but... It's so flawed and the first round of patches haven't done a damn thing to fix that.

I can accept that some games will release with bugs, that's common knowledge but Skyrim is just broken and it in no way deserves to be awarded for it...

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Portal 2 crowned best game of 2011 by the Associated Press | Joystiq

Can't say I agree with the selection, not that I have a problem with 4 of the 5 in the top-5... Just Skyrim's inclusion.

But it is like when Avatar won all of its acclaim as well. The movie was poorly told with very wooden performances and a cliched plot that was clumsily put together. In the end though it was a pretty movie to look at and that is all that matters with the general public.

Cut to 2011 and no one really gives 2 shits about Avatar and the same will happen with Skyrim. It is huge now, but I can't see many people picking up a PS3 for the first time getting the game after all the hype has died down.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Huge Gaming Backlog

I agree Skyrim was an awesome game but with the problems it had it doesn't deserve GOTY. Just means now that Bethesda will think they can get away with it. Now that it has won GOTY I doubt they will do much to fix Skyrims bugs.

Also is Portal 2 really that good. It is a game I'm not familiar with. What is Bastion? Never even heard of it.

Deus Ex was rubbish. A story line that was up there with the Matrix 2.

Haven't played Batman AC yet so I can't comment on that. I went out today to buy it but where I went they had sold out. Now I defiantly want it. It must be pretty good to sell out.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

Lvl 7 - Gold

Portal 2 GOTY? What a joke. It's good, don't get me wrong, but far from GOTY.

Sure Skyrim has some bugs, but the game is good enough to make up for it. You've gotta take the bad with the good, and you have to understand there will be bugs in a game as complex as Skyrim. You're not dealing with a 7 hour storyline and repetitive online multiplayer. You're dealing with what is the deepest game produced to date.

The only issue I personally ever had with it was freezing after autosaves when I would try to do something causing an autosave directly after. It took a whole 90 seconds to restart and dive back in right at the previous autosave. I put 138 hours into Skyrim and there is still a ton left to do as far as questing and exploration goes. That's 138 hours of SOLO gaming. No other game out there offers that much content. Sure, you can put that much time into multiplayer, but that's just playing the same group of events over and over and over et cetera.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    But it is like when Avatar won all of its acclaim as well. The movie was poorly told with very wooden performances and a cliched plot that was clumsily put together. In the end though it was a pretty movie to look at and that is all that matters with the general public.

Cut to 2011 and no one really gives 2 shits about Avatar and the same will happen with Skyrim. It is huge now, but I can't see many people picking up a PS3 for the first time getting the game after all the hype has died down.
    This made me chuckle. Morrowind and Oblivion strongly disagree with you. The Elder Scrolls line not only keeps a hardcore following, but adds to it years after initial release. Skyrim will be no different. The only reason it might not sell much in the future is because everyone already owns it.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Click-Click-Kaboom

I think Batman should had got GOTY before Portal 2 or Buggy Skyrim.

PSN- Il_WidowmakeR_Il

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    final fantasy signature

don't worry i understand why you don't like it.

This made me chuckle. Morrowind and Oblivion strongly disagree with you. The Elder Scrolls line not only keeps a hardcore following, but adds to it years after initial release. Skyrim will be no different. The only reason it might not sell much in the future is because everyone already owns it.

Oblivion was worse than Morrowind.

Skyrim is in the middle, better than oblivion, but shitter than morrowind

also portal 2 deserves all the praise it gets.

PRO Member

I can agree with this. while I thought it should have been longer, Portal 2 was a fantastic game!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Retired TGT Member

Well according to this, I'm a moron for not having played Deus Ex yet

Congrats to Portal 2. Can't argue with that.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    final fantasy signature

don't worry i understand why you don't like it.
    Steam Card holder

Don't worry I understand why you do Miyaaaa

I've got absolutely no problems with Portal 2 as GOTY. It was a pleasure to play a game that made me laugh, made me think and made me want to Hi-5 and Hug everyone in co-op multi-player. Cross-Platform gaming ? Yes please, gimme MOAR !

Canadian gamer since the 2600

Lvl 8 - Gold

Sure Skyrim has some bugs, but the game is good enough to make up for it. You've gotta take the bad with the good, and you have to understand there will be bugs in a game as complex as Skyrim. You're not dealing with a 7 hour storyline and repetitive online multiplayer. You're dealing with what is the deepest game produced to date.

The only issue I personally ever had with it was freezing after autosaves when I would try to do something causing an autosave directly after. It took a whole 90 seconds to restart and dive back in right at the previous autosave. I put 138 hours into Skyrim and there is still a ton left to do as far as questing and exploration goes. That's 138 hours of SOLO gaming. No other game out there offers that much content. Sure, you can put that much time into multiplayer, but that's just playing the same group of events over and over and over et cetera.
    There's a difference between some bugs in a game post release and the game being damn near unplayable post release. The lag bug in Skyrim makes it very unplayable after a while and the fact that engineers from Bethesda have turned around and said it may be unfixable really has put me off the idea of rewarding Bethesda for the game.