Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Final Fantasy, a series in decline

This is a discussion on Final Fantasy, a series in decline within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Linearity isn't really a bad thing since all games are linear to some extent, it depends to what extreme it ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Linearity isn't really a bad thing since all games are linear to some extent, it depends to what extreme it goes but FFX was just as linear and I loved that game.

The funny thing with the FF series is how differently everyone feels about them, I loved FFVI through to FFX but am pretty mixed about X-2, FF12 and FF13.

There will always be bandwagons to follow, COD hate, GT5 hate etc. but I think there are some genuine issues with the JRPG genre at the moment, mainly that we all want to play them but they just aren't getting made.

I could be wrong but PS2 was loaded with RPGs with FFX, Dragon Quest 8 and Shadow Hearts Covenant (weird as hell) being my favorite, does the PS3 even have half the amount PS2 had? I only got my PS3 this year so I gotta look back and see if there are any good ones I missed.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    It was linear as all hell, and it seemed like the "Gameplay" was just something to keep you moving from cutscene to cutscene which annoyed the heck out of me. But while I couldn't beat more than the first chapter, I'm not going to say it was the demise of the franchise...

If VIII couldn't kill it, 13 won't either.
    FFVII's Midgar was as linear as a line, and even after you made it to the world map you still couldn't go anywhere you could, you had a pre-destined path to take until you got your god damn ariship, and the same could be said for FFVIII, and X, among many others.

Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    Ring Ring Ring

"Hello Mr Nagflar, is it ok I call you Susan?

Susan I am the director of Gremlins Inc. and I am ringing on behalf of the receptionist you just recently abused.

It is my understanding that you entered into a contract with us under the agreement that we would contact you in the event that a shitty game was released under the Final Fantasy brand.

My receptionist Jenny BigHugeGiantBoobs was only fulfilling her obligations as Gremlins Inc. receptionist, which is to inform our ungrateful customers of any shittyness prevalent in current gaming franchises.

It is not her job however to be on the receiving end of sandstorms blowing from your cantankerous and wild vagina.

We are hereby terminating the contract with you Susan, further we will be keeping the deposit of rainbow candy you provided us at its inception."
    Ring Ring Ring

"Hello dear moron in turn at Gremlins Inc.,

No, you can't call me Susan dear moron in turn, and your service is as shitty as your bullshit, so there's no need to terminate the contract, you're getting sued for sucking at your job and not even telling me why you think the bullshit you think."

And regarding your last sentence in the post did not quote, no, there aren't nearly as many RPGs in the PS3 as in the PS2, hell, there aren't nearly as many RPGs in teh 360, Wii and PS3 as there were in the PS2. The genre is slowly getting killed off by Shooters and the likes, and one of the few companies that are still trying to release RPGs is Square, which is getting flamed by it's own fanbase.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Well we ate all the rainbow candy.

The Deathly Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    obligatory post for any final fantasy xiii-2 thread

the official choboco riding music when you ride one

WTF is this?!?
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    Well we ate all the rainbow candy.
    No shit lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kratos06 View Post
    WTF is this?!?
    Crap man, that's what it is. Oh, and a disgrace.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Ok to address a few things... 1. the game has released in Japan, where there are more fans.

2. Yes it FF 13-2 hasn't been out for long I'll give you that, (but most games sell most of their copies in the first week.) But again this isn't just about 13-2, this is about the series as a whole..I don't get what you people don't understand about that

3. once again I never said that any of the games were bad... and I'm not trying to influence anyone's purchase decisions nor did I say that you shouldn't buy another FF...bringing that up doesn't really make any sense.

4. The series as a whole is in decline, yes FF 13-2 is used as the example as its the latest game released but even a game like Type-o that was more traditional didn't sell much more than 13-2 (on a platform that is very popular in japan)

5. @Rubicant, That is true, but its also true that no one has really made a spectacular jrpg (or really any at all..) and thats the main reason. Theres more gamers than ever now, and PLENTY of them like/play Rpgs (look at the sales of skyrim, even if its wrpg..it was done right and was rewarded for it) And I don't think its hit a downfall yet, but it potentially could in the future. Look at what happened to netflix. As for those people that are easily influnced and or want to base their opinons on those of another, thats their prerogative. You seem to imply a lot of things I didn't do with this post, unless you're talking about something else when you say the 'internet' or 'some guy who posted on a site'. I may be misunderstanding, but at any rate, I'm getting FF13-2 myself and I'm not encouraging anyone not to get it. In fact that may be counter-productive for the genre right now.

6. @Nagflar: No, I'm saying the series (shown by numbers of past titles is actually in decline..as far as sales go.) And more or less I'm questioning the company's business practices. But if you didn't care..I don't see why you'd even post in this thread, as it kind of defeats the purpose of not caring. and Obviously if a company's fanbase is disliking their decisions and they are losing sales then isn't it quite clear that they are doing something wrong? Their new business model: "Fuck our old fans, lets get those COD fanboys to play our games" I'm exaggerating.

7. @ps360: I don't even know what to say to that.

All in all I don't like the new direction they are going with (Business wise, because all final fantasies are made differently in some way, I'm not complaining about that.) That was what this thread was mainly aimed at, but lets be honest they can sell shit with the name Final Fantasy on it and still sell a couple hundred thousand copies..Brand name.

And the general consensus seems to be that FF13 is a good game, but not a good Final Fantasy. Or that it is a bad game for a large portion of the chapters than gets better towards the end. I agree with both.
    Last edited by LiLPlaya0o0; 12-23-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Lvl 8 - Gold

That's a joke, right?
    What's wrong with the good ol' chocobo riding music?

And even though FF XIII wasn't as good as some of the older games, I still think it's better than FF XII. As long as this game's not as bad as FFXII I'll get it, but nothing beats the good old FF games. That's why I hope the series regains it's former glory.

Mr. X

Quote Originally Posted by LiLPlaya0o0 View Post
    . I'm not even excited nor care that a new FF is on its works seeing as how a game (Versus 13) announced in 2006 that seems to have the highest following has yet to be released.
    This is exactly how I feel after playing XIII. I was so hyped for that game and now the mention of Final Fantasy doesn't evoke any sense of excitment in me.

I don't understand why they decided to stop making the games in the traditonal sense. If game worlds like Skyrim and Fallout can be made then I'm sure Square could make a Final Fantasy in the traditonal sense. What's funny is that they're making all these changes to try and appeal to more people, to sell more games and they're just going down-hill. They're alienating the Final Fantasy fans and making too crap a game to rope in the casual crowd.

I will say that XIII did get really good when I was doing the hunts but it was too little too late. I hope the remaster of X does better than XIII, XIII-2 and XIV combined and then they can see what people want. Even X was a linear game but it was much more engaging then XIII.

What the fuck is that?

I have listened further and that has to be a piss take, right? I don't know anymore after the clusterfuck that was XIII.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Currently playing this (for the millionth time maybe?) and not a single fuck is being given.

Game on....

How many games series or franchises would last after 13 game releases? It is too easy to be negative about FFXIII because it can be compared to all the other Final Fantasy games in the series. Personally i think FFXIII is an excellent game and i enjoyed it as much as any other game in the series i have played (which is nearly all of the FF games). I will be pre-ordering FFXIII-2 very soon.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Yes, XIII was linear. Yes, X was linear. But there was something very definitively different about the linearity of XIII, that the majority of the story of the game was "inside a dungeon", that it was overly obvious that it was linear, whereas X had nice open fields and cities with shops that you were constantly moving through, giving it an open feeling. That's the difference.

My main gripe with the game was the combat system. It couldn't decide whether it wanted to be an action game, or a turn-based game. And it fell very, very short of resembling the combat scenes in Advent Children, which is supposedly what they were going for. There were far too many fights where you spent more time changing jobs (whatever they called them here, I forget), than actually fighting. Combat was a sluggish chore. It wasn't enjoyable on an action front because there was too much micro-management going on, and it was held back by a modernized ATB gauge in disguise.

All the changes they've made for XIII-2 as an attempt to fix the complaints people had, imo, only make it worse. I didn't like XIII. So now, instead of making a different game (or giving us freaking VS XIII already!), they made a bigger world with more of the annoying combat, they added a pokemon/persona-style monster mechanic (which I hate), and they continued the story of nonsense that failed to keep me interested in the last game, throwing in time travel to try and make it better(?!). FFXIII was too grandiose and took itself too seriously, to its detriment, imvho.
    If S-E wants to appeal to the COD players (if that is in fact what they're trying to do), then they need to just do away with any semblance of a turn-based combat system and give us ACTUAL real-time combat. Heck, even if they're not trying to appeal to COD players, they should still do away with the turn-based combat, or embrace it completely and stop trying to hide what it is. These continual bastardizations of the formula keep getting worse. And leave the micro-management to strategy RPGs. I didn't play FF Tactics, and I didn't like the constant Sailor Moon antics in X-2. I didn't appreciate it in XIII, either.
    These are the reasons I won't be getting XIII-2, because by all accounts, they succeeded only in making it less to my liking than XIII already was.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHorror View Post
    Currently playing this (for the millionth time maybe?) and not a single fuck is being given.

In my opinion, both Squaresoft and Enix made better games before they merged. I have no idea how two companies that I loved have fallen so far after merging, but they pulled it off somehow.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    How many games series or franchises would last after 13 game releases? It is too easy to be negative about FFXIII because it can be compared to all the other Final Fantasy games in the series. Personally i think FFXIII is an excellent game and i enjoyed it as much as any other game in the series i have played (which is nearly all of the FF games). I will be pre-ordering FFXIII-2 very soon.
    This.

I thought FF13 was fine as a game. Granted, it's story was a convoluted (but interesting) mess (but there are very few FF games which don't have a convoluted story line) and it was a linear game but it was nevertheless still an enjoyable experience. Not the best. Not a classic.

Which I think is why a lot of people dislike the game.

But ask yourself this; when was the last Final Fantasy game considered a classic released? FF10? Long time ago.

It was a good experience. Worthy to play to the end. And I will play FF13-2 on that notion.

And FF13-2 sold 500k+ in one country in like 3 days. I'm sorry but while that may be a declining figure, it's still a pretty impressive one. Especially considering most games don't even get that figure in their timeline (Resistance 3, for example).

Mr. X

Quote Originally Posted by HELLO View Post
    Which I think is why a lot of people dislike the game.

But ask yourself this; when was the last Final Fantasy game considered a classic released? FF10? Long time ago.
    X may have literally been released a long time ago, but there is only number XII between that and XIII. I'm not counting XI due to it being online. I would class XII as a classic as well. The battle system recieved a massive overhaul but the game generally felt like a big epic Final Fantasy game.

If XIII-2 let's go of my hand earlier on and actually has a world to explore then I can see it being a very good game. XIII only got good after around 20-30 hours play which is just too much time. The only reason I don't have high hopes for XIII-2 is because I can see Square just going down the exact same path as XIII. The combat needs spicing up earlier as well. XIII probably would have been better if it wasn't just run down a hall pressing X. When you do the hunt missions the combat becomes fun and challenging but like I said earlier it's too little too late.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    My main gripe with the game was the combat system. It couldn't decide whether it wanted to be an action game, or a turn-based game. And it fell very, very short of resembling the combat scenes in Advent Children, which is supposedly what they were going for. There were far too many fights where you spent more time changing jobs (whatever they called them here, I forget), than actually fighting. Combat was a sluggish chore. It wasn't enjoyable on an action front because there was too much micro-management going on, and it was held back by a modernized ATB gauge in disguise.
    That's really what has irked me the most, FFX didn't try to hide it was turn-based and instead focused on getting the best out of a turn-based system.

FF12 & 13 went for a fake action system, it's like they are worried people won't play turn-based games but are not confident enough to do a proper action game.

Hopefully Versus lets them experiment and find something good, so far they have kept the tradition of doing something different with each game so its not all doom and gloom for Square Enix, just a matter of finding something good.

Lvl 4 - Silver

ffx redo will outshine them both

Lvl 6 - Silver

I can see the signs of it here.. I am not looking forward to see the effects this may have on the Kingdom Hearts series. One of my most loved and favourite game series.

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Final Fantasy XIII was not a bad game, by any means - it wasn't glitch ridden, it didn't suffer from any technical flaws, it's still one of the most beautiful titles on the system, and it offered a deep resonating story that a lot of people who actually played the game enjoyed and felt was worthy of the franchise name.

Final hallway 13 was not a good title.

take the first 6 hours for example:

The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].

There are hardly any towns.

The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].

There are rather a lot of movies.

Moving around is like a long marathon.

The whole game system is just a clone of FF10.

You can’t flee battles [You can’t avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].

Your party is completely healed after each battle.

If the main character in your party dies it is game over [There are only ever 3 characters in battle, often less, and often fixed].

The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.

The summons’ transformation scenes are a joke [i.e. Odin turning into a horse].

The story is shit

Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points, with no proper shops to be found.

However, this doesn’t matter as you hardly ever get any money [and you can never buy anything more powerful than what you already looted].

There have been next to no changes from the demo.

The status screen displays no real information.

There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].

There are no levels.

Last edited by Ps360; 12-23-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Resident PHD

Have you even played it. I looked at your trophy list and you haven't so unless you played it on xbox you have no frame of reference. From someone who has played every final fantasy (even Mystic Quest which is a piece of shit) I can say this was honestly a good game and I simply don't understand the hate for it. Yes you may not have liked it but it hardly deserves the hate it is given. It is a 7/10 easily, so how about if you haven't played the game stop commenting on it

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

A plat a month!

This is exactly why, at least I, find your contributions to the community equipment to "points awarded on Whose Line is it Anways?". They don't matter.

Rubicant pointed out, and I may be adding in the fact that it may be implied, that DESPITE linearity (for disclosure purposes, I found the linearity of FFXIII a little annoying), the game was very good. Yes, the game was mostly linear, but Final Fantasy XIII was about telling a very enriching story. Rubicant pointed out it was done so in a way where technical bugs didn't distract the gamer from the story, and beautiful environments were added to enhance the story in a fantasy setting.

I hate feeding the trolls here, but honestly PS360, can't you come up with more than "HURR DURR, its linear!"

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    This is exactly why, at least I, find your contributions to the community equipment to "points awarded on Whose Line is it Anways?". They don't matter.

Rubicant pointed out, and I may be adding in the fact that it may be implied, that DESPITE linearity (for disclosure purposes, I found the linearity of FFXIII a little annoying), the game was very good. Yes, the game was mostly linear, but Final Fantasy XIII was about telling a very enriching story. Rubicant pointed out it was done so in a way where technical bugs didn't distract the gamer from the story, and beautiful environments were added to enhance the story in a fantasy setting.

I hate feeding the trolls here, but honestly PS360, can't you come up with more than "HURR DURR, its linear!"
    The linearity of the game is the only thing people know about though. I had a friend that bitch about it as well, I told him to keep playing and he ended up loving the game.

It is funny in another thread 360 bitched about memes on the Internet but complaining about the linearity in FF13 without actually playing it is meme in itself.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast