Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 107

Final Fantasy, a series in decline

This is a discussion on Final Fantasy, a series in decline within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I'll admit that I'm a huge Hironobu guy, but I still gave XIII a chance. I loved the series, so ...

  1. #41
    Monica Rial #1 Fan
    The Legend Killer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Windy City!
    Posts
    1,804
    Reputation
    64

    I'll admit that I'm a huge Hironobu guy, but I still gave XIII a chance. I loved the series, so how could I not. Well, it sucked, plain and simple. I played about 5 hours worth and I couldn't take the monotony anymore, and for those of you who are going to say, it gets better at the 15 to 20 hour, screw that. A game is supposed to be good from the start, because if it isn't, I'm not going to be playing for long.

    Remember I'm not the only one who felt this way about the game. It was pretty universally disliked, and for several reasons. The characters weren't likable, the setting just didn't feel like Final Fantasy, the combat system seemed needlessly convuluted, and the story was bland and predictable. There was no sense of excitement, no sense of adventure.

    It pretty much showed from the beginning that it wasn't made by the original creators, and that turned a lot of people off, including myself.

    Perhaps if it had been released outside the Roman Numeral set, or been named something other than Final Fantasy, it would have been looked upon differently, but if it has Final Fantasy in it's title it better live up to the standards the series made up to that point, anything less is unacceptable.

  2. #42
    R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(
    john3007's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Theatre of Dreams
    Posts
    3,015
    Reputation
    237

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    How many games series or franchises would last after 13 game releases? It is too easy to be negative about FFXIII because it can be compared to all the other Final Fantasy games in the series. Personally i think FFXIII is an excellent game and i enjoyed it as much as any other game in the series i have played (which is nearly all of the FF games). I will be pre-ordering FFXIII-2 very soon.
    i couldnt agree with you more.13 games and then some and in my eyes still going strong and like a few others say if it is declining (which i think is a little rediculous to say) then im sure ffx will help out the cause but it is still a bit to early to say imo and i think this franchise will go on for a long time and i hope it does.

    Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

  3. #43
    No Game No Life
    RaveNScythE18's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lastation
    Posts
    1,169
    Reputation
    106

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Final hallway 13 was not a good title.


    take the first 6 hours for example:
    Did you even play this game? Seriously, making judgments on a game you didn't even play is
    All the FF XIII haters I see around just bitch about how linear the game is and how the battle system suck.






    Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG
    0
    0
    0
    0


    Checklist || GFX Showcase


  4. #44
    Huge Skip Bayless fan.
    El Jefe's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Set of ESPN: First Take
    Posts
    3,357
    Reputation
    99

    Quote Originally Posted by RaveNScythE18 View Post
    All the FF XIII haters I see around just bitch about how linear the game is.
    preach. the game is really good despite its linearity. the game had good gameplay, vistal characters, and story.

    Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser


  5. #45
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    The MunchKING's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In your Base, killing your d00ds!
    Posts
    98
    Reputation
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    From someone who has played every final fantasy (even Mystic Quest which is a piece of shit) I can say this was honestly a good game and I simply don't understand the hate for it.
    I notice you didn't have any factual evidence that his claims were wrong, just "I thought it was a 7/10, so quit badmouthing it".

  6. #46
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    The MunchKING's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In your Base, killing your d00ds!
    Posts
    98
    Reputation
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by RaveNScythE18 View Post
    Did you even play this game? Seriously, making judgments on a game you didn't even play is
    All the FF XIII haters I see around just bitch about how linear the game is and how the battle system suck.
    Well, while I didn't say I HATED it, I also expressed annoyance over the large number and duration of cutscenes.

    Play felt like something to get you to the next cutscene so they could tell you more of the story rather than something that should be fun on it's own and let YOU tell the story.

  7. #47
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I notice you didn't have any factual evidence that his claims were wrong, just "I thought it was a 7/10, so quit badmouthing it".
    Because I have posted them all before and if you actually read through all the posts instead of just the last ones you would have seen it.

    The people who say this generally haven't played that much of the game. Yes for the first few chapters you can do this, but if you try this later you will get slaughtered.

    Also the linear thing I have brought up with many people showing them that all the old FFs were very linear as well but they hid it in a non-linear world. Yes the open world is big but you can still only go to the next town.

    FF6 is my favourite Final Fantasy of all time (and is in my top 5 games of all time) I once made a list of how to play the game and guess what until the world of Ruin it is ridiculously linear (and the world of ruin is about the same game length as Chapter 11). People like to complain but I found FF13 to be one of my favourites in the series.
    The linearity argument is a stupid one because most JRPGs do that, they just hide it by giving you an open world but that open world is usually blocked by invisible walls (either needing to do a quest first or needing a airship etc.)

    The fighting system was unique and later in the game made you switch quickly between jobs and there was little room for error(yes at the beginning it was just pressing but try getting 5 stars on hunts by just pressing )

    The graphics and music were both stellar and just based on the technical achievements alone this game should have been getting praised. I know graphics don't make a game but when web reviewers were giving this game 1s and 2s out of 10 that is just false.

    The story and characters start out slow but you have to remember they are telling a story. I hated Hope at the beginning but as I learned more about his character you grew to like him and understand him.

    The elimination of towns is another complaint I hear a lot. What do most FF towns consist of? Inn, Weapons Shop, Item Shop, Armour Shop and a bunch of useless houses that offer nothing to the game. FF13 eliminated all of that by giving you the shops all in one. This actually makes sense since they are living in a future world and already how many people buy all their stuff on Amazon or eBay? So the online stores is actually a plausible route to take.

    I could go on but I think that is enough. Yes the game starts off slow, but have you ever heard of Chekhov's gun? I would rather a game start slow and build to something as opposed to a game like COD where you start off in the action but it has nowhere to go from there.

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  8. #48
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Have you even played it. I looked at your trophy list and you haven't so unless you played it on xbox you have no frame of reference. From someone who has played every final fantasy (even Mystic Quest which is a piece of shit) I can say this was honestly a good game and I simply don't understand the hate for it. Yes you may not have liked it but it hardly deserves the hate it is given. It is a 7/10 easily, so how about if you haven't played the game stop commenting on it
    Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    This is exactly why, at least I, find your contributions to the community equipment to "points awarded on Whose Line is it Anways?". They don't matter.

    Rubicant pointed out, and I may be adding in the fact that it may be implied, that DESPITE linearity (for disclosure purposes, I found the linearity of FFXIII a little annoying), the game was very good. Yes, the game was mostly linear, but Final Fantasy XIII was about telling a very enriching story. Rubicant pointed out it was done so in a way where technical bugs didn't distract the gamer from the story, and beautiful environments were added to enhance the story in a fantasy setting.

    I hate feeding the trolls here, but honestly PS360, can't you come up with more than "HURR DURR, its linear!"


    read my post again


    The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].

    There are hardly any towns.

    The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].

    There are rather a lot of movies.

    Moving around is like a long marathon.

    The whole game system is just a clone of FF10.

    You can’t flee battles [You can’t avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].

    Your party is completely healed after each battle.

    If the main character in your party dies it is game over [There are only ever 3 characters in battle, often less, and often fixed].

    The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.

    The summons’ transformation scenes are a joke [i.e. Odin turning into a horse].

    The story is shit

    Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points, with no proper shops to be found.

    However, this doesn’t matter as you hardly ever get any money [and you can never buy anything more powerful than what you already looted].

    There have been next to no changes from the demo.

    The status screen displays no real information.

    There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].

    There are no levels.


    and the fans do hate it:
    ƒƒ‚ƒŠ•稿ž‹ƒƒ“ƒƒ‚‚ƒˆでFF13Œ100‚€‚*38‚のƒ‚ ‚*ƒƒ嵐 : —はちま起稿


    saying such things as:

    “Honestly, it’s the worst Final Fantasy game ever! Everything about the game is ‘lightweight.’”

    “This is no game, it’s a CG movie player with an RPG minigame! The story and maps are unbelievably linear, there’s a little divergence in how you level the characters. I just don’t want to recognise this as an RPG. It doesn’t even feel like you’re playing a game, just that you’re being shown one CG movie after another.”

    “The characters aren’t very appealing, and the cutesy antics of the female characters got on my nerves. For fans of Final Fantasy, this is really something that is no longer Final Fantasy any longer.”

    “The production values are high, but like FF12 there are pluses and minuses. At the very least I don’t think this game can be recommended to everyone.”

    “Final Fantasy fans will be looking forward to a good story, but personally I found nothing interesting about the story at all, though this must vary from person to person.”

    “The game just repeats movies and dungeons over and over, there’s no variation at all. There are quests in the second half, but getting that far takes far too long. If you don’t enjoy the story getting that far is troubling.

    Honestly, this was a big disappointment. I can’t recommend it to people who like RPGs.”

  9. #49
    Korean Girl Group Groupie
    Rubicant81's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inevitably, Unattainable
    Posts
    1,417
    Reputation
    151

    For those who say Final Fantasy XIII starts slow - seriously? The game's main plot unfolds quite quickly, especially comparatively to the Final Fantasy series as a whole. Within the first few hours you realize that there are either people that want to saved, people who want to be revenged for, and a question mark character who, as the narrator, is expressing the events as person who is seeing them unfold - it takes after the first major battle of the entire game for the entire group to discover what their mission is, and that it is now a race against time.

    The story is one of the upmost urgency, and doesn't wait for a person to try and summon a meteor, or a world to turn to ruin - the entire game for the cast of characters is a race for their own humanity, and despite that - you realize quite early how unselfish they all are quite early in the process. Of course, to understand this you would have to pay a little bit of attention, but nevertheless - for a Final Fantasy title, the plot develops significantly faster than most Final Fantasy titles have.

    ----

    To those saying it's good game, but not a good Final Fantasy, that proves one of my initial points - that the fan base as a whole has just as much difficulty adapting to the changes in the series as the producers do. If you keep comparing each new title, which is always changing, and compare it to it's previous titles despite them being innately different titles, you are going to come out with too many expectations that cripple the individual experience. If it's a good game, if it's Final Fantasy, and each numerical release in the series is it's stand alone title by design, than Final Fantasy XIII is a good game. That being said, if you didn't like it, you didn't like it - but the rationale that it's not worthy of Final Fantasy when it offers all the core elements that make the game a Final Fantasy (aside from the original names making it), and a story that was definitely worthy of the Final Fantasy name.

    ----

    Trying to convert the people who dislike the title, for whatever reasons is a losing battle - and there are just too many people out there, who didn't find Final Fantasy XIII to their liking that this title is going to get an unfair take, particularly from the mass of Internet community, who complains about almost everything. This entire sequel could be the Game of the Year, but somebody will focus entirely on something as idiotic as the Chocobo theme being absent and use it as they argument that the title did at least one thing wrong - so therefore jump to a "logic" conclusion that the entire game is wrong.

    Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

  10. #50
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    FF13 was not shit, but it was a bad game. Bad story, bad voice overs, 2-3 bad characters, great gameplay, bad music... But I've explained in detail why in many cases. Not a great FF game, but seeing SE's track record, my expectation for a FF game went out the door prior to Enix's merger with Square. As far as series decline, Most spin offs don't make the sales. So you can't really base off a series in decline over that. But if you date back to the highest selling FF game to now.... Ya, it's been that way with the exception of 10 and 13 for years.

  11. #51
    A plat a month!
    wandarer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,184
    Reputation
    65

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    I read your post.

    The additional comments you make further prove to me how little, if any, you add to the community.

    All your doing is posting negative comments. Yes, you are referencing some other source, but what you are practically saying is anyone who has posted anything positive here has an invalid opinion. In this case, you're saying over 90% of the comments here are invalid. These posts that you are referencing are NOT FACT, they are OPINION.

    I respect LilPlaya0o0's post. He felt the story was in decline, and gave references to why he supports that OPINION.

    But is it truly ignorant to state that FFXIII sucks, its fact, heres other people's opinions which make it FACT.

    I can even respect The Legend Killer's post, on saying there were expectations in the game, and had the game been named different it may not have been the case. What he didn't do was treat his opinion as fact

    Ahh I've made it a point not to feed the trolls up until now. I'm questioning why I am even posting this. Theres nothing I can do to change things. The earth spins, the sun and moon rise and set, PS360 gonna troll, facts of life.



  12. #52
    Platinum Procrastinator
    Denaratuck's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    3,081
    Reputation
    159

    To everyone saying Ps360's post was just to hate on the game I have to disagree. Even if he/she never played the game, the points in the post still stand and I agree with them which is why I felt FFXIII was only an average game and not a great one.

    Sure other FF games are linear as well, but guess what, there is actually stuff to do which makes you want to spend more time exploring and fighting enemies rather than progressing with the story. In VII for example you get new materia which people spent hours trying to level and clone. In VIII you spend time drawing more magic from every different enemy you encounter. In X then are a bunch of different mini games you do to try and get the best weapon for everyone. Even in X-2 you spend time trying to progress with each suit or costume.

    In XIII, there really isn't much to do until you get to Gran Pulse. Sure you can stay around certain areas and try to level just for the sake of leveling, but that's boring. You spend all this time progressing through the game only to finally have it open up and go for the monster hunts. However, the majority of them are boring and by then its too little too late. Before that, you pretty much go from fight to fight spamming the X button as there really is no strategy due to the game being so easy. Not to mention a lot of the characters are annoying and go from one extreme to another. We have the selfless hero Snow, the whiny little boy Hope, the black guy with an afro, and the cute girl/jailbait. That alone made me dislike the game more than others in the series.
    Take all of these factors into consideration and its not hard to see why so many people disliked the game. Like Tommy mentioned, you shouldn't need to invest 90% of the game time into it before it actually draws you in.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

  13. #53
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by LiLPlaya0o0 View Post
    (look at the sales of skyrim, even if its wrpg..it was done right and was rewarded for it)

    6. @Nagflar: No, I'm saying the series (shown by numbers of past titles is actually in decline..as far as sales go.) And more or less I'm questioning the company's business practices. But if you didn't care..I don't see why you'd even post in this thread, as it kind of defeats the purpose of not caring. and Obviously if a company's fanbase is disliking their decisions and they are losing sales then isn't it quite clear that they are doing something wrong? Their new business model: "Fuck our old fans, lets get those COD fanboys to play our games" I'm exaggerating.
    Skyrim was done so well that it's full of bugs and glitches, and the patches they've released to fix them have brought new bugs and glitches. No, it sold a lot because it's TES (just like a FF game sells for being FF), not because they 'did it right'.

    I understand that, hence why I said that I don't care. Sure, the sales are going down, but the games are still coming out and they ain't bad (as much as the rabid fanbase and their moronic arguments say so), so I'm just voicing out how the game not selling a million copies (or two) in Japan in a day won't make me give a crap, because the game still is a high-quality one, even if you and many others go on and say "Oh yeah, sure, it's not a bad game, just a bad FF".

    Saying they are losing sales just because of the changes and claiming it is because they want to (suppoedly) catter to the CoD fanbase is stupid. There are many things factoring to the sales, such as the insane amount of games being released nowadays (just look at the past 3-4 months), the increasec pricing of games and the fact that many people now preffer to buy games with online because they'll last them longer and makes it look like a better way to invest their money.

    Now, I ask you big FF fan, what is it that makes you think that Square is giving their fanbase the finger a la Nintendo? I still see them making JRPGs with great stories and characters and a very entertaining gameplay, so I don't get where you are coming from.

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Play felt like something to get you to the next cutscene so they could tell you more of the story rather than something that should be fun on it's own and let YOU tell the story.
    JRPGs like FF have never let you tell the story the way you want. If you want that, then go play a BioWare game.
    Last edited by Nagflar; 12-23-2011 at 05:17 PM.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  14. #54
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by RaveNScythE18 View Post
    Did you even play this game? Seriously, making judgments on a game you didn't even play is
    All the FF XIII haters I see around just bitch about how linear the game is and how the battle system suck.
    Did you expect anything else from haters these days?




  15. #55
    Game on....
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,915
    Reputation
    348

    I would say that the gamers who have played FFXIII and got the platinum trophy have mostly positive things to say about FFXIII. It's all too easy to play a game for a few hours and then decide that the game is complete crap. Opinions and taste in games are different but to say FFXIII is anything other than a great game, is just ignorance.

  16. #56
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    HugeGremlins's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    143
    Reputation
    6

    I don't think the series is in decline, it's just spread all over the place with heaps of little handheld releases and the weird spin off games in work.

    One thing I want to know is how many dev teams they have? They are working on Versus, XIII-2, FFXV plus the crappy MMOs and all the handheld games.

    Maybe they are just overdoing it a little bit, 'quality vs quantity' or maybe 'fat penguins vs many smaller penguins'

  17. #57
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    The MunchKING's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In your Base, killing your d00ds!
    Posts
    98
    Reputation
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Opinions and taste in games are different but to say FFXIII is anything other than a great game, is just ignorance.
    Wait... How do those two clauses go together?? How you can you say "Opinions and tastes may be different" and then turn around and say 'But if you have the opinion that this game isn't great you're just ignorant'?? (Paraphrased that last one)

    For that you would have to prove that the game is OBJECTIVELY great, removed from all opinions. And that is pretty hard to define for a video game. But feel free to eludicate me on the facts behind this sweeping statement.

  18. #58
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    I don't think the series is in decline, it's just spread all over the place with heaps of little handheld releases and the weird spin off games in work.

    One thing I want to know is how many dev teams they have? They are working on Versus, XIII-2, FFXV plus the crappy MMOs and all the handheld games.

    Maybe they are just overdoing it a little bit, 'quality vs quantity' or maybe 'fat penguins vs many smaller penguins'
    I think they have like 6 different dev teams, if not more.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  19. #59
    Korean Girl Group Groupie
    Rubicant81's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inevitably, Unattainable
    Posts
    1,417
    Reputation
    151

    Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    I don't think the series is in decline, it's just spread all over the place with heaps of little handheld releases and the weird spin off games in work.

    One thing I want to know is how many dev teams they have? They are working on Versus, XIII-2, FFXV plus the crappy MMOs and all the handheld games.

    Maybe they are just overdoing it a little bit, 'quality vs quantity' or maybe 'fat penguins vs many smaller penguins'
    The Japanese developer is light years behind it's Western cousin's in terms of efficiency, they are still working with the same development team sizes they did with the last generation of consoles, and it has slowed down the amount of releases by all companies in Japan tremendously on "current generation titles." Until the Japanese learn a thing or two from the Western companies on development team sizes, schedules, and budget - they'll constantly be behind the curve.

    ---

    We get it, a lot of people didn't like Final Fantasy XIII, it's getting a slight bit redundant. It just seems a little forced to say that story is bad because you didn't like it, when it obviously resonated with some people. To call the story predictable is quite laughable (I'd love to lie detector those people who say this and see how many predicted the ending), but is one person's individual opinion. The game is still a technical marvel in almost every aspect, and delivered one of the best user interfaces that any RPG has ever given us.

    I stand by what I said - too many people are going to listen to all the "fans" who bash the hell out of Final Fantasy XIII that it's sequel is going to suffer the consequences no matter how great it is. And it just goes to show that Square Enix doesn't get rewarded when they do listen to their fans, and try to fix things because too many people are stuck in 1997.

    Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

  20. #60
    Lvl 1 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    27
    Reputation
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    obligatory post for any final fantasy xiii-2 thread

    the official choboco riding music when you ride one

    That's only one of three chocobo theme songs. That one plays while riding a red chocobo.

    The other two songs are "Groovy Chocobo" when riding a yellow chocobo and "Rodeo de Chocobo" that plays during chocobo races. These may be more to everyone's liking, since they are more like the traditional chocobo song. I've seen the "Crazy Chocobo" theme play for yellow ones too though, I'm not sure what triggers it. It may be if you don't have enough ghysal greens, since I think they may be required to ride it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO