Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 107

Final Fantasy, a series in decline

This is a discussion on Final Fantasy, a series in decline within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Ps360 still sold more in the first week Not if you add the X-Box 360 sales of ...

  1. #81
    Korean Girl Group Groupie
    Rubicant81's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inevitably, Unattainable
    Posts
    1,417
    Reputation
    151

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    still sold more in the first week
    Not if you add the X-Box 360 sales of Final Fantasy XIII-2 to the total, but for the sake of covering all my bases - yes, it sold more in the first week on PlayStation 3 alone.

    Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

  2. #82
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    the xbox is literally dead in japan


    I don't think they count sales for the xbox anymore due to it.

  3. #83
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend Killer View Post
    Did you read my statement? I believe I said something along the lines of every FF title has it's haters and lovers. But I do not believe any other title garnered the kind of hate that XIII did.

    So Persona has no following or isn't any good because it's not on the PS3 yet? That's what you're basing your argument on? C'mon Bro, you're smarter than that.
    I read it, hence that last sentence. I've seen as much hate for FFVII and XII in the internet as I've seen hate for XIII. Too many people call XII the worst FF ever, if you haven't noticed. Just look at Gamefaqs and you'll find a lot of FFXII and VII haters, which equal XIII's in number.

    I'm not judging Persona's quality as a game series based on that, I'm judging the so-called popularity you claimed it has. It's nowhere near as popular as FF, which is proved by the few number of entries it has and how all of them are on the PS2/PSP, even when the PS3 was released before some of those last entries (like Persona 4). The day Persona releases an entry in the PS3 and it sells much more copies than FFXIII-2 or even XIII, then I'll believe they are taking FF's fanbase away.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  4. #84
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    LiLPlaya0o0's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    69
    Reputation
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Skyrim was done so well that it's full of bugs and glitches, and the patches they've released to fix them have brought new bugs and glitches. No, it sold a lot because it's TES (just like a FF game sells for being FF), not because they 'did it right'.

    I understand that, hence why I said that I don't care. Sure, the sales are going down, but the games are still coming out and they ain't bad (as much as the rabid fanbase and their moronic arguments say so), so I'm just voicing out how the game not selling a million copies (or two) in Japan in a day won't make me give a crap, because the game still is a high-quality one, even if you and many others go on and say "Oh yeah, sure, it's not a bad game, just a bad FF".

    Saying they are losing sales just because of the changes and claiming it is because they want to (suppoedly) catter to the CoD fanbase is stupid. There are many things factoring to the sales, such as the insane amount of games being released nowadays (just look at the past 3-4 months), the increasec pricing of games and the fact that many people now preffer to buy games with online because they'll last them longer and makes it look like a better way to invest their money.

    Now, I ask you big FF fan, what is it that makes you think that Square is giving their fanbase the finger a la Nintendo? I still see them making JRPGs with great stories and characters and a very entertaining gameplay, so I don't get where you are coming from.
    So you're implying that Skyrim is not a good game and only fanboys of the series play and dump hours into it? Thats a ridiculous argument if I'm correct since that is clearly not the case. (Especially since Skyrim released along MW3 and nearly caught up to Oblivion's lifetime sales in 48 hours. And the fact that FF 13-2 did poorly sale wise in comparison to other FF games, but based on your logic it should sell because its FF name, which is true to an extent but obviously is not the 'end all' argument.) Yes from a technical standpoint there was issues, (more so in the ps3 than 360 at that), but to say it wasn't a game done right that millions of people are enjoying, is ludicrous. That's like ignoring the massive sales Call of Duty brings in every year because they use the same engine for every game or because more casual gamers play it than another game. Doesn't change the fact that they are doing something right.

    You seem to have a superiority complex. "they ain't bad", Is subjective, my friend, and what one may like another may not. Just because you don't think its bad means other people can't? That's very immature. But yes some of their arguments may be trash in your eyes (and I agree to an extent), but that doesn't make their opinion as a gamer any less valid. If they didn't enjoy the game and think its bad, then that's that. I think WKC series are good games (despite many flaws), many people don't share those sentiments.

    I feel that it is whats going on, but of course there's no way for me or you to know for sure. Regardless its a possibility, which has enough merit to use it in an argument. Saying that many other games releasing beside it is a poor argument. It all comes down to what you feel is worth a purchase, and what your budget can afford. If ff13-2 cannot make that list for a gamer, then other than the those factors you mentioned, it is clear that it wasn't worth the purchase. Especially if you want to use the example you provided with Skyrim selling a lot for being a TES game while FF13-2 SHOULD sell a lot for being a FF game, using that logic. And it didn't. Increase of prices of games? Actually Snes and ps1 games generally costed $40 new, so $20 more is hardly an increase, especially when money was worth more in the past. The online thing is probably pretty true except for the fact that Skyrim is a singleplayer game that sold many more copies in 48 hours than FF13-2 did in a week+. (I guess you'll go back to your argument that 'its a TES game', well FF13-2 is a Final Fantasy game.

    I'll give them credit for taking some suggestions going into FF13-2 from fan reaction, however generally in the past few years they have done nothing but alienate their fanbase and almost completely ignore what the fans want. And again I think you fail to understand the concept of 'subjective'. 'Great stories and characters and entertaining gameplay', That is your OPINION, it is not a fact.

    I don't know what you're missing about where I'm coming from... At any rate, based on the posts here there are obviously people who agree with me, and those who do not. And thats fine. I'll be getting FF13-2 come January, and whether I enjoy it or not is yet to be seen. I've been turned off by some of the information provided thus far, such as being limited to Serah and the new ******. And the whole monster thing in my party...I have a feeling that won't feel very final fantasy like, since it'll be different from summons. But again who knows, maybe I'll love it.

  5. #85
    Beast Incarnate
    DragonWolfVII's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rowley Regis, UK
    Posts
    3,658
    Reputation
    131

    I'll get FFXIII-2, I'll always buy any FF that comes out. But I do understand where its coming from, there hasn't been a great Final Fantasy since FFX. FFXII was a good game, but just didn't measure up in my opinion. I also like FFXIII quite a lot, but again it was a huge dissapointment in comparison to some of my favourites. After playing XIII, I don't expect XIII-2 to be magical, but its a Final Fantasy, and that sells it for me.

    I hope SE do wake up at some point though, and bring back some of the better elements of older games, elements that made the majority of us fall in love with Final Fantasy.

    Also...wtf is with the heavy metal Chocobo music....? I'm a huge heavy metal fan....but thats just wrong.

  6. #86
    Korean Girl Group Groupie
    Rubicant81's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inevitably, Unattainable
    Posts
    1,417
    Reputation
    151

    To say it has poor sales comparatively to a game that came out 20 years ago is like insisting that I could fill a 1992 Ford F-150's gas tank for cheaper then, than I could fill a Kia Sephia's gas tank in 2010. Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold twice as much as the second place title for the week, and more than the second and third placing titles combing.

    And if you think SNES games cost $40 you're living in a false reality my friend. I bought Final Fantasy III (VI), or I should say my parents did for $74.99, and when a game came out for $40 it was normally a "bargain" game, such as this print ad for Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest will show. So if you want to compare prices and money made from a period in which games did cost more - it's going to show it made more.



    So just because the game didn't make as much as another game from another period of time, you can't say it didn't do well. Middle of December is not exactly the hottest selling of times, but the game still sold comparatively well considering it came out near the same time as a new system as well.

    Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

  7. #87
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    LiLPlaya0o0's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    69
    Reputation
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    To say it has poor sales comparatively to a game that came out 20 years ago is like insisting that I could fill a 1992 Ford F-150's gas tank for cheaper then, than I could fill a Kia Sephia's gas tank in 2010. Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold twice as much as the second place title for the week, and more than the second and third placing titles combing.

    And if you think SNES games cost $40 you're living in a false reality my friend. I bought Final Fantasy III (VI), or I should say my parents did for $74.99, and when a game came out for $40 it was normally a "bargain" game, such as this print ad for Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest will show. So if you want to compare prices and money made from a period in which games did cost more - it's going to show it made more.

    So just because the game didn't make as much as another game from another period of time, you can't say it didn't do well. Middle of December is not exactly the hottest selling of times, but the game still sold comparatively well considering it came out near the same time as a new system as well.
    Thats all good and well if we comparing the amount made, but we're comparing units sold. Which makes the price irrelevant. And I don't see how the holiday season isn't exactly the hottest selling time?

    Oh and I'm not saying it didn't do well, just not in comparison to past FF's

  8. #88
    Korean Girl Group Groupie
    Rubicant81's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inevitably, Unattainable
    Posts
    1,417
    Reputation
    151

    Quote Originally Posted by LiLPlaya0o0 View Post
    Thats all good and well if we comparing the amount made, but we're comparing units sold. Which makes the price irrelevant. And I don't see how the holiday season isn't exactly the hottest selling time?

    Oh and I'm not saying it didn't do well, just not in comparison to past FF's
    Units sold, it still sold twice as many as it's next closest competitor for the week, which in all economical senses is a strong showing. Middle of December is normally when most people have already finished their holiday shopping - if people are going to spend heavily most of the time they will with the deals that come in late November, if you want to pull it up any other 8 weeks sales figures, you'll see that it is not a strong time to release a video game title.

    Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

  9. #89
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    LiLPlaya0o0's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    69
    Reputation
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Units sold, it still sold twice as many as it's next closest competitor for the week, which in all economical senses is a strong showing. Middle of December is normally when most people have already finished their holiday shopping - if people are going to spend heavily most of the time they will with the deals that come in late November, if you want to pull it up any other 8 weeks sales figures, you'll see that it is not a strong time to release a video game title.
    Fair enough, I'm the type of person who gets my shopping done the week of/before so I couldn't really comment as all I see is the hundreds of people who are like me. But that makes sense and I'll take your word for it.

  10. #90
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Silent Assassin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    949
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Final Fantasy XII was the first game in the series that wasn't created by Square's main development team. I really think that of the entire series, it is the game that feels the least Final Fantasy-like. It was originally intended to be a game in which you were able to play with 3 player simultaneously online and that idea was scrapped when they couldn't find a way to pull it off.
    When I first started FF XII my first thought was that it reminds me of Vagrant Story. And no wonder it had that "online" feeling, except I didn't know it was supposed to be a multiplayer game. Another thing I didn't like are the characters. They felt...bland.

    I guess that's why I like FF XIII. FF XII wasn't that good for me and when I played XIII it was an improvement over the previous title so I was happy with it. Though it's still not as good as the older games.

  11. #91
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    HugeGremlins's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    143
    Reputation
    6

    FFXII was written\directed by the guy who made Vagrant Story I think

    but Vagrant Story is like the Metal Gear of rpgs, its on another level than FFXII

  12. #92
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    PsyGriff's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    30
    Reputation
    0

    The franchise started to decline after FFVII to be honest. True, VIII and IX and X was ok, but after that it went straight to hell in my opinion anyway. It became more action oriented and less RPG. I played the XI one and it was not up to par at all. And the rest of the games aint all that good. Not I rest me hopes on FFXIV and XV. Aint hoping for miracles tho.

    But as i said, this is only me opinion...

  13. #93
    Lvl 9 - Gold


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    south california
    Posts
    1,005
    Reputation
    1

    wow only 10k xbox thats really bad

  14. #94
    Monica Rial #1 Fan
    The Legend Killer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Windy City!
    Posts
    1,804
    Reputation
    64

    Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    FFXII was written\directed by the guy who made Vagrant Story I think

    but Vagrant Story is like the Metal Gear of rpgs, its on another level than FFXII
    Actually FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Tactics Advance, FFXII, FFXII Revenant Wings, and a couple of others all connect as they take place in the same universe. I't's called "The Ivalice Alliance".

  15. #95
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    HugeGremlins's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    143
    Reputation
    6

    Yea that's right, you can kind of tell by the character names and art.

    That's really what I liked the most about FF12 the art, it's one of the best looking games on the PS2 because of how much detail is put into it, especially the towns they look great.

    Vagrant Story is still a great looking game when put through an emulator, once you clear up the jaggedness you can really see the work that went into the characters.

  16. #96
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    DIMENSIONCRASHER's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    141
    Reputation
    1

    Final Fantasy = Life Changing

  17. #97
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    The Final Fantasy XIII-2 Japan Sales are in for the Xbox 360!

    It was even sold at half price!

    Guess how many sold?



    10,000




    R.I.P. Final Fantasy

    December 18th 1987-December 17th 2009


    now they should stop acting fucking retarded and move onto KH3 and either crush my fandom of the game so i won't buy from them ever again (which is hard to do since i love disney stuff) or make it awesome.
    Last edited by Ps360; 12-27-2011 at 12:23 PM.

  18. #98
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    soulless94's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    255
    Reputation
    4

    (read first page, not reading anymore)

    the only reason people don't like RPG's and JRPG's as much is because (it's true, i've seen it everywhere) this generation has become too lazy...if you have to kill 300+ hours on a game and then some to obsessively collect and accomplish 100% then no matter what that is a damn good game

    and as for what i was gonna say originally (before i started reading), this series is much like following a tv / anime series that's gone on for 16 seasons and is still successful (Bleach)...i love each and every one, with each and every aspect of it, and i will be greatly devastated when it ends..that goes for all collections i have (anime, books, games, movies, music, tv shows, etc.)...i care for everything as if it was my own blood, i don't just throw everything at the wall and say "F you" because i hate it and deem it "not worthy"...why? Respect...for all things =]

    this series is still as amazing as it was when it started, and it will still be here at least partly through the next generation
    and FFXIII kicked ass
    like i said...you're lazy, and you need to stop complaining
    respect your art
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

  19. #99
    worlds biggest welch fan
    nevetsteven2's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington biosphere
    Posts
    811
    Reputation
    63

    looking forward to this one.
    Sig By Me

    Mirrors Edge Platinum









  20. #100
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    Kittencandy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    34
    Reputation
    0

    Don't really know whether it's in decline or not... Personally, I remember the first FF game I bought was Final Fantasy 8 back in around 1999 or so, when I bought a PsOne, saw that game in the store, and remembered seeing it somewhere on tv in some gaming program, and since it had gone platinum I figured to buy it cuz it was cheap. Took it home, started the game, watched the intro, going like WHOAAAAA AWESOME ! then the actual game started. I chuckled a bit, aswell as being disappointed a little, compared to the intro movie it suddenly looked butt ugly. But still, I started to play the game despite that, and within 30 minutes I got completely hooked on it. 2 days later I bought 7, and right now I own 1 - 13 (13-2 pre-ordered), even though I never played 1-6, nor 11 (since it's online, and I don't believe in paying monthly for a game).
    The downside for me personally is that in the parts I did play there has always been some kind of romantic storyline going on, and that's what really drew me into the game series. FF 9 already let that concept slide just a little bit, and after X-2 it officially died. (supposedly the 1-5 or so didn't have romance stories either but never played those so irrelevant). It may sound weird but part of the problem might be they let go of that type of story. And of course FF 13 was very very lineair, and you pretty much only had one place you could go. In previous games of FF you could go back to all the old places and more, so much more to explore. Why would people be intrigued to buy a sequel to a game most people already didn't like all too much...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO