Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Final Fantasy, a series in decline

This is a discussion on Final Fantasy, a series in decline within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I have to agree with the person who said people are lazy now. I finally beat XIII last night and ...

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

I have to agree with the person who said people are lazy now. I finally beat XIII last night and i started it over 2 years ago..
    Although I enjoyed the game the name Final Fantasy has such high expectations that it always leads to some disappointment which is undeserved imo
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by soulless94 View Post
    (read first page, not reading anymore)

the only reason people don't like RPG's and JRPG's as much is because (it's true, i've seen it everywhere) this generation has become too lazy...if you have to kill 300+ hours on a game and then some to obsessively collect and accomplish 100% then no matter what that is a damn good game

this series is still as amazing as it was when it started, and it will still be here at least partly through the next generation
    and FFXIII kicked ass
    like i said...you're lazy, and you need to stop complaining
    respect your art
    You couldn't be more incorrect if you tried. I like how you try to make an argument even after stating you only read the first page. A lot of complaints about FFXIII is the lack of side quests, you know the stuff the adds to a game and makes it longer. But I guess by wanting to do more makes us lazy cause that makes perfect sense.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'll be honest, I didn't read most of the replies on this thread, but stand by it that the psone era games were much, MUCH better than the 'style over substance' abortions that have been released recently, FFXIII in particular (haven't finished, nor have intentions of doing so, my first FF ever that i haven't). I loved 7, 8 was the greatest in the series, loved 10, 2, 3, 4, 6 all of the ones i've played i've loved (though 9 was questionable). They either need to cancel this bleeding series and get a new ip or go back to psone story telling and gameplay (including the quests and many many side missions), but with the new graphics. Simples. Best of both.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Korean Girl Group Groupie

It's quite hilarious that some people "lazy" for not putting 300 hours into a game (something that I would argue you probably couldn't even do in any of the titles for stretching the gameplay - and this is coming from a person who taught every person every magic spell in Final Fantasy VI, and rewrote the entire Sphere Grid in Final Fantasy X - unless you're talking about the MMO's in the series, no Final Fantasy has 300 hours of content). But to say that somebody who was willing to dump a set amount of time into a game ten years ago isn't going to dump a set amount of time into another game currently is due to laziness as opposed to perhaps the generation growing older, and having further responsibilities such as jobs, spouses, and children is not exactly going to be selling point for Square Enix to garner new fans.

Want to make the argument that because you initially played on the PlayStation that those games were better? That's quite laughable, especially considering I am old enough to remember when the same argument was made when the PS1 titles were released and how they were worse than SNES titles and that they should stick to making games like those titles. It's ridiculous to say that a game series should remain unchanged and not evolve with the format. If Nintendo thought like that Mario would have never made the jump to 3D, and we'd still playing games that played the same as they were 20 years ago. Innovation is what wins fans, and critics - not this overly used nostalgia crap that people hold onto without thinking.

If "old school" game play is what works so damn well, then why is it that titles like Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection, or Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light aren't tearing up game sales charts or being placed on any lists for best game of it's console, much less one of the better games for the year? Because people want innovation, and I've heard the argument time and time again on here how people can't play a game because the graphics aren't good enough (one of the more idiotic reasons for not liking a game).

The only reason I believe the series is in decline, is because it appears to not being able to usher in more fans than it seems to lose with each iteration into the series. A lot of the time that is Square Enix's fault, but that doesn't mean that they should shoulder the entire blame. Does that mean the series is going away anytime soon? No, it's still a Top-20 franchise that has a dedicated enough following that they will still survive with what releases they make. It's just not likely to be topping global sales charts, or ushering new fans because it isn't a title that is one that you can just sit down, immerse yourself into for 20-120 minutes, and walk away from - but if people want Final Fantasy to become a title like that, then you're asking for the series to become like so much of the other crap in the market and lose what made it great. Like it or not, Final Fantasy still is one of the few games that any of the titles you pick up, will not feel like anything else that you could buy comparatively at the time.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'm actually enjoying FF13 now, I think what really hurt it was the super slow opening and focusing on Snow & Sarah.

I completely removed my pants once I came across a Flanitor, best enemy ever.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I gave FFXIII every chance possible (minus the absurd amount of grinding for treasure hunter) and came out of it with mixed feelings. The 1st 3rd: I was consumed with how much Hope annoyed me with his endless whining, i just couldn't get past it. The 2nd 3rd: I spent most of the time in a state of frustration due to the "run a level, fight a boss, get one shot killed when he's almost dead, grind to hit the current lvl. ceiling, get one shotted again, change tactics slightly, eek out a win" nature of the game. The final 3rd: enjoyed every second until I killed my 10 millionth Shao/Long Gui and still needed millions to upgrade everything fully.

That is my opinion of XIII. Having said that, I am actually quite optimistic that XIII-2 will be a step in the right direction. Most of the MAIN complaints people had have are being addressed and have been altered in some form, maybe for the better, maybe not. Being a HUGE Shin Megami Tensai fan I know that (for me) integrating various recruitable(?) monsters into your party is insanely fun... that alone has perked my ears up and put me from being 70/30 no to 51/49 yes. It sounds like the developers have listened to the critics and are trying to rectify what everyone spent all their time bitching about so consider me a XIII pseudo-hater that has been turned into a hopeful convert.
    Last edited by skidmarkgn; 12-29-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    No, it's still a Top-20 franchise that has a dedicated enough following that they will still survive with what releases they make. It's just not likely to be topping global sales charts, or ushering new fans because it isn't a title that is one that you can just sit down, immerse yourself into for 20-120 minutes, and walk away from - but if people want Final Fantasy to become a title like that, then you're asking for the series to become like so much of the other crap in the market and lose what made it great. Like it or not, Final Fantasy still is one of the few games that any of the titles you pick up, will not feel like anything else that you could buy comparatively at the time.
    Thank you.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456