How can I upgrade my HDD and still have my old memory?

This is a discussion on How can I upgrade my HDD and still have my old memory? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Is there anything less painless than using a flash drive? My external hard drive broke some time ago and I ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

How can I upgrade my HDD and still have my old memory?

Is there anything less painless than using a flash drive? My external hard drive broke some time ago and I don't know of any other way to safely get all my data from my PS3 onto my new HDD.

Lvl 9 - Gold

My external hard drive broke some time ago

Now I have to point out here to begin with, I have no idea what you mean by that, but the only real way I know aside from SD/Flash drive transferral is through a cable.

There is a 'Transfer Data Utility' option under 'System Settings', it will tell you what to do from there, but you will the need the required cable and ANOTHER PS3, one that will need to be empty of information, data and such. Complicated work, all this technology lark.

....aaaand, I'm afraid that's the only way to do it, that or get a big, fuckin' SD card. I just bought an 8GB for just this purpose.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
    Now I have to point out here to begin with, I have no idea what you mean by that, but the only real way I know aside from SD/Flash drive transferral is through a cable.

There is a 'Transfer Data Utility' option under 'System Settings', it will tell you what to do from there, but you will the need the required cable and ANOTHER PS3, one that will need to be empty of information, data and such. Complicated work, all this technology lark.

....aaaand, I'm afraid that's the only way to do it, that or get a big, fuckin' SD card. I just bought an 8GB for just this purpose.
    By that I meant that as far as other means other data transfer, my external hard drive broke and isn't exactly an option for data transfer. I kind of figured that the only way to transfer the data would be a External, USB flash, etc.. Aside from buying a new PS3, which would totally defeat the purpose of a new hard drive. Thanks though

member since Oct 2009

You could get ps+ and backup your locked save files through the cloud feature. You can then backup the rest of your save files with a USB flash drive depending on how many gigs you have. Then, you can save your music, photos, themes, etc. Copy the save files to your pc if you need more space on the flash drive. Install everything after making the hdd swap.