I have no idea what is happening and need some help

This is a discussion on I have no idea what is happening and need some help within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I popped in Uncharted 3 today and played for a few chapters and all of a sudden my PS3 ...

PRO Member

I have no idea what is happening and need some help

So I popped in Uncharted 3 today and played for a few chapters and all of a sudden my PS3 just turns off on me and the red light starts flashing. So I turn it back on and it starts checking if my hardrive is ok. So I play a few more chapters and it happened again. The red light started to blink so I just turned it back on to get Uncharted out and then turned it back off immediatly. I just unplugged everything and have it sitting in my room right now letting it rest. I have heard of a yellow light, but never a blinking red one. Can anyone tell me what this means and if there is any way I can fix it.

Sig by Bladia

PRO Member

Initial stages of YLOD. You will eventually get a Yellow Light this same exact thing happened to me with the exception of Uncharted 3.

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by CurseShooter View Post
    Initial stages of YLOD. You will eventually get a Yellow Light this same exact thing happened to me with the exception of Uncharted 3.
    Do you know if there is anything I can do to prevent it?

Sig by Bladia

PRO Member

If it is the older, fat PS3 then I would recommend that you start looking around for a good deal on a new PS3. Both of my original PS3s got the YLOD and I replaced them with slim units.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    Do you know if there is anything I can do to prevent it?
    I extended my old PS3's life 6-8 moths after this started happening (don't remember exactly how much). Simply by constantly cleaning the PS3 (inside & out), also by placing the PS3 in a well ventilated area so that air can actually get through it's fans and stuff, also try to treat it like an old lady play with it for a while but don't over do it.

You should start finding good deals on new PS3's though...

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 6 - Silver

are you sure there isn't a quick yellow light flash before it blinks red, if so you've got the YLOD, there isn't really a way to prevent it, if you're still getting on your PS3 i would start backing up your important saves now and buy a new one .

i've lost 2 old PS3s to YLOD, it sucks big time but it shouldn't happen again now that i have a slim.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Something similar happens to my friend.. He can't play MW3 or Uncharted 3 because when he pops it in the fan sounds like a jet and then it turns off to prevent the PS3 from overheating. He has the older, fat PS3. So my recommendation is to get a new, slim one.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

PRO Member

Allright so it seems like I am screwed and yes I have a fat from back in 2007. I have just done a bunch of crap to it to try and fix the problem, or just extend the life. I am going to let it rest the night and try again in the morning. Better get the flash drives ready.

Sig by Bladia

Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    Allright so it seems like I am screwed and yes I have a fat from back in 2007. I have just done a bunch of crap to it to try and fix the problem, or just extend the life. I am going to let it rest the night and try again in the morning. Better get the flash drives ready.
    Just try backing up your major files just incase.
    Best of luck!
    It's just a flesh wound.

Breakfast and Chill

Just try backing up your major files just incase.
    This^ It wasn't a possibility for me however because it just... happened... on vacation 1,100 miles from home.

PRO Member

The YLOD is Sony's way of getting us to buy another console or two. I have bought 4 consoles so far in the PS3's cycle at about a total cost of 1,700 plus tax.

PRO Member

There is one option I did this myself and it worked "first turn it off unplug your power cord and let the hard drive cool down.. for 20mins...then replug it in and if the system loads up turn it off straight away then wait for 2hrs and let it fully cool down..hope this helps if not then i feel sorry for ya.