Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Buying games just for trophies...

This is a discussion on Buying games just for trophies... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw You buy games only for trophies, even those you don't like? Congrats, you're a trophy whore! ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    You buy games only for trophies, even those you don't like?

Congrats, you're a trophy whore!
    I constantly admit to being a trophy whore - lol, and i'm not going to lie - If I see a game on clearance or ebay for like $5-$10 and it has trophies, i'm going to buy it....that's just me. I did for the record buy CSI for $4.95 at Target on clearance....lol...and I did plat it......and it was horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. But, on the other hand, looking at my trophy list I don't think i'm the bottom feeder of whores...You will never see me with UP or Cloudy with a chance or Megamind or TS.....I just can't do it.
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by StewartBros View Post
    Buying games for trophies is all very well, but there are depths to which you should never descend...

Hannah Montana
    CSI: Fatal Conspiracy
    Up!
    Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

These are games you should, and must, avoid like the plague. I may be guilty of platting one of these games myself, but I really wish I hadn't bothered. Don't deliberately buy shit games just so you can boost your trophy count - it's not worth it. Spend your time playing games you actually like, and earn the trophies from those instead.
    I agree with Stew here. You don't want to do this. Why would you? You don't want to do this just to get more platinums. Get games that interest you! Games like Infamous, God Of War, Assassin's Creed etc.

Signature And Avatar Made By DjungList!
    Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Platinum #10

MMA Fan Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    So ever since I got my first platinum (Infamous), I have gone on several trophy hunting expeditions, including platinuming Batman Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Crystal Defenders (Well, 100%, there isn't a platinum for this game unfortunately ) and am currently plowing through the God of War collection to get the plats for 1 and 2 as well as having several others to work my way through in order to get the platinum.

I have since decided to start buying games solely to platinum, even ones I don't like! What is wrong with me lol. I bought prince of persia trilogy (never played this on the ps2 so can't comment) for 9.98 [bargain!] and tomb raider trilogy for 9.99. I hated, HATED underworld when I played it, and before even finishing the 2nd level I sold it because I thought it was the most buggy and unfinished game I had ever played, which sucked as I loved the original 3. My brother bought me NFS: the run, for xmas and I am looking at getting the splinter cell trilogy and sly trilogy just for these damn trophies. I never used to give a shit about them until I got that first plat. Damn you infamous Does anybody else do this or is it just me?
    I think you should do what makes you happy. If buying game for a platinum is your thing, then do it. Sure, I think people should play games and enjoy them, but trophies are a nice perk. I am not one to criticize either considering the fact that I rented Terminator Salvation for the sole purpose of earning some gold trophies and an easy platinum. In fact it is one of the worst video games that I have ever played. Still, I think is essential to play quality games that you will enjoy and make trophies secondary, but bragging rights are always fun.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Great post! My 2012 New Year's resolution is to NOT do this! I've put so many great games on the back-burner just so that I could get through some crap games I bought for $9.99 only for the purpose of obtaining a platinum (i.e. Saw, Cars: Race-O-Rama, and Spare Parts immediately come to mind).

I have about 14 great, relatively difficult to platinum games that I am dying to play just for fun and not focus on the platinum but the experience of the game itself.

Let's hope I can get caught-up this year!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by obliviouscreole View Post
    I think you should do what makes you happy. If buying game for a platinum is your thing, then do it. Sure, I think people should play games and enjoy them, but trophies are a nice perk. I am not one to criticize either considering the fact that I rented Terminator Salvation for the sole purpose of earning some gold trophies and an easy platinum. In fact it is one of the worst video games that I have ever played. Still, I think is essential to play quality games that you will enjoy and make trophies secondary, but bragging rights are always fun.
    Terminator Salvation is another one I got only to platinum...but for $4.99 it was such a hard purchase to resist!

I agree though, there is something special about obtaining a platinum that's rated tough or brutal. It does make you feel pretty hardcore!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Personally, I only buy games that I want to play. However, if I'm on the fence about a game, I will check out the trophies. If I think they are attainable at my level, I will buy them. If not, I will move on. This is especially the case with online trophies. I don't like to spend a lot of time grinding online. If a game that I am only mildly interested in has a ton of online trophies (ie: reach the highest xp level, play 50 rounds of each mode) I will pass.

I don't have many platinums, but the ones I have I am proud of. I like my list of games to reflect what I like to play. I think it's somewhat of a reflection of who I am. I actually go for platinums that have a higher degree of prestige over easier ones. I'm not condemning those who have easier plats (Hannah Montana seems to always be the one on the receiving end of the negativity). It is their choice to play those games. As a few have mentioned, some players have kids. They may like to play those games. I, for one, would be ashamed of myself if I had Hannah Montana on my list because of my kids and i didn't have the plat for it. If the kids are playing it, one might as well get the trophies for it. Get the most bang for you buck, I say.

Needz Trophy Card

i just spent $200.00 on buying games just for this trophy competition. could have done something useful with that money but decided to show you whiny people in this thread that i can do whatever i want since its my cash.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Bodigard View Post
    i just spent $200.00 on buying games just for this trophy competition. could have done something useful with that money but decided to show you whiny people in this thread that i can do whatever i want since its my cash.
    ...well we are still going to win

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Crocodile Hunter

hahaha im about to buy a whole lot of games for the trophy comp too

Sig by Apokolypz

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

I play lots of games, ill buy the ones I enjoy or want to try out, but as far as just for trophies ill just rent games with gamefly since its way cheaper or if i do buy a game thats shitty just for trophies it would have to be a really cheap game.

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

Proud Greek Gamer

Seriously what is your problem with easy platinums?
    I am a proud owner of Cloudy with a chance of meatballs,Cars and Megamind platinums.YES! I enjoyed playing them. On the flipside of the coin I have Assassin's creed 2 platinum,mafia 2 platinum and more to come in the future.

I stopped CSI at the 2 chapter because it was horrible.So I did with Terminator Salvation.I wont ever get Hannah Montana for the trophies.

People play what they want.By playing Cars,you are still a gamer.You stop being a gamer when you hack.

What's with all the hate people? (sorry if I sounded offensive)

Signature and Avatar made by the awesome TheGeneral09

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bodigard View Post
    lol owned. about to murder fools for this trophy comp.
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

Lvl 7 - Gold

I GOT THE ANSWER!
    You play games to have fun, or have satisfaction or whatever.
    If you think it's fun to get trophies, even if the game is... questionable. then fucking do it. and if people judge you to be a trophy whore then just laugh them in hte face and say I enjoyed it!
    I wouldn't buy a game I would enjoy that doesn't have trophies, coz I would feel empty without something to achieve in the game. not because it doesn't boost my trophies.

Toggle Spoiler

currently working on several games

My first trophy guide - FIFA 14

Lvl 5 - Silver

My 1st game i platinum was resident evil 5 ^^. I buy games that i want to buy and i currently dont waste money just to whore some trophies. I consider myself a hunter not a whore. I have been level 14 for almost 5 months lol. I also have a life outside of playstation that consumes alot of my time ^^

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I have bought games because they have trophies, and I have passed on games because they don't. But usually trophies are just part of the consideration when I buy a game. I have bought 1 or 2 PSN games strictly because they had trophies. I've also bought one retail game for trophies (Truth Or Lies).

There have also been times I've passed on games due to issues with their trophies. I have a chance to pick up Tiger Woods 10 on clearance one time, bought it, then when I got home I found out it was impossible to platinum due to one of the features being turned off. So I took the game back even though it had been pretty cheap. I kinda wish I'd looked at the trophies for Lost Planet 2 before installing the game.

But I also consider it something of a badge of courage to get 100% on a crappy game. It's easy to put the effort into a game you enjoy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345