Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS2 Games on PS3 Slim

This is a discussion on PS2 Games on PS3 Slim within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; i've seen several videos on youtube of ppl playing ps2 games on their slim ps3 with psn add-on. i know ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

PS2 Games on PS3 Slim

i've seen several videos on youtube of ppl playing ps2 games on their slim ps3 with psn add-on. i know that you cant just trust some video on the web. but it got me thinking, is there any way of playing ps2 games on ps3 slim? maybe like if to switch the hard drive from fat-60/80gb ps3 in to a slim one, would that work? or is there a way to play ps2 system on hd tv without it looking shitty? any ideas guys?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yea I been wondering about this, I searched for that app but couldn't find it but I have a hard time finding anything in the PSN store, the search function brings up so much random stuff D:

edit\ nvm i found this

*Necessary 4 PS2 compatibility=Emotion Chip

Emotion chips are only in PS3s with 4 USB slots. The add-on u downloaded was for that type of PS3 only.

Emotion chips were discontinued and not included in newer PS3s to reduce production costs. Before the chip's discontinuation, Sony LOST $ because each PS3 was being sold at a price LOWER than what it cost to manufacture them. Nowadays, Sony still loses $, just now as much as b4.

If ur PS3 does not have 4 USB slots, the add-on u got was pointless.

Hope this helps.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

aw shucks... that's so retarded. I kept hoping one day it'd be added. I don't like having 239473409834 devices hooked up but I guess it can't be helped.

Lvl 6 - Silver

? The only PS2 games that you can play on PS3 are the ones that are at the store ._. unless you have a first generation PS3 that can play PS2

INTJ

sony wanted to remove value from their ps3 so they removed it. It was also removed because the PS2 was selling so well when the ps3 came out they wanted more money

luckily i have a fat ps3 still with backwards compatibility.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ruskyamafia View Post
    i've seen several videos on youtube of ppl playing ps2 games on their slim ps3 with psn add-on. i know that you cant just trust some video on the web. but it got me thinking, is there any way of playing ps2 games on ps3 slim? maybe like if to switch the hard drive from fat-60/80gb ps3 in to a slim one, would that work? or is there a way to play ps2 system on hd tv without it looking shitty? any ideas guys?
    Get yourself an RGB cable instead of AV. That's the best you'll get.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

interesnting what you say about the hard drive, but i don't hope or wait that PS3 runs PS2 discs, yet is pretty stupid that PS3 can do it with the PS2 classics and not from the disc when is the same thing, it was a lie that the PS3 needed that chip to emulate the game, PS2 classics runs perfect on the PS3 without that chip they removed and is the same thing, like the full retail games for PS3 on the PS Store

Have to say that Sony really screw us with that, they don't want to you use your old discs is just that, that's the truth

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    edit\ nvm i found this
    To me it wasn't necessarily the best move for Sony, especially since it actually made things worse. Besides, I wonder how reliable that source you found is

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

PRO Member

I'm down for the ps2 classics on the store especially if they not everyone can fork 600 bucks for an old 60GB with a 500GB HDD installed

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    *Necessary 4 PS2 compatibility=Emotion Chip

Emotion chips are only in PS3s with 4 USB slots. The add-on u downloaded was for that type of PS3 only.

Emotion chips were discontinued and not included in newer PS3s to reduce production costs. Before the chip's discontinuation, Sony LOST $ because each PS3 was being sold at a price LOWER than what it cost to manufacture them. Nowadays, Sony still loses $, just now as much as b4.

If ur PS3 does not have 4 USB slots, the add-on u got was pointless.

Hope this helps.
    i just looked online about this emotion chip. it looks like its located on the mother board of early ps3 systems. emotion chip was paired with a Graphics Synthesizer which made the ps2 games work on ps3. so to answer my own question about swapping a 60gb hard drive into slim ps3 - is not going to work.

but on the other hand i learned about rgb cable. going to have check my tv for an input

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    sony wanted to remove value from their ps3 so they removed it. It was also removed because the PS2 was selling so well when the ps3 came out they wanted more money

Funny thing about having a launch model is that I never use it to play anything other than PS3 games. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have the option to pop in Chrono Cross and enjoy the hell outta that game but I usually tend to just forget about it.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

ps 2 games should just be in the psn store. Ps 1 games are, so why not ps 2. *growls*

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Kittencandy View Post
    ps 2 games should just be in the psn store. Ps 1 games are, so why not ps 2. *growls*
    Because you can still play standalone PSOne game discs on a current model PS3. They don't require any special hardware or emulation. The few PS2 games that have been added to PSN had to be coded to run off the PS3 hardware without the Emotion Engine chip present in the system. It takes a bit more effort on the part of the publisher/developer.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I have a launch 60gb and in the beginning i used to play Battlefield Modern Combat on it, but nowadays i only play PS3 games...
    It's nice to have the option in the beginning but eventually people move on and switch over to the new sofware..

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by wcamicase View Post
    ? The only PS2 games that you can play on PS3 are the ones that are at the store ._. unless you have a first generation PS3 that can play PS2
    This is why I kept my 60 gig fat from 4 years ago

Call of Duty: MW2, Fallout 3, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty World at War, Red Dead Redemption
    Medal of Honor, Call of Duty Black Ops, Burnout Paradise, Uncharted 2 Among Theives, MAG, Little Big Planet
    Little Big Planet 2, InFamous, Dead Nation, Borderlands, Battlefield 3, Assassins Creed 2, Skyrim, InFamous 2
    Saints Row: The Third, Skylanders Spyro's Adventure

Platinum Dohvakiin

Actually PS360. Sony removed the the B/C for two reasons. One they have only offered the B/C in the first gen of their consoles. The First gen PS2 only had B/C for the PS1 (psx). The other reason whey the took it out was. To make the PS3 cheaper and the B/C PS3's are/were more prone to YLOD. Due to it over heating because of the extra components inside. It wasn't about reducing the value. But making a more stable product. And the truth be told. Even with the B/C. Hardly anybody that I know ever used it anyway. It's one of those features people bitch about. But in reality will hardly ever use. Like the whole other o/s thing. Most people never touched it, and even less knew how to use it or knew it was there in the first place.

Plus having a B/C PS3 as I do. It sounds all nice and dandy. But the truth is. You can't play every PS2 game on a PS3 anyway. Plus I hardly ever play PS2 games on it anyway. I still have both of my PS2's (both fat and slim models). Hell I still have the original Playstation for that matter.

If you want a PS3 that is B/C than you have to get a first gen with 4 usb ports on it. Either 40 or 60 gigs. The only 80 gig that I know of that was B/C was the MGS Special Edition PS3 (at least for the US) But I do believe that Japan had a White Special Edition PS3 (not sure what game it was for) that was also B/C.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 9 - Gold

Beep, wrong and try again. Platzreign has already answered why. Try playing a few "Tales of" games, or Tekken Tag on that BC. You'll find it literally unplayable .

Quote Originally Posted by Avan View Post
    interesnting what you say about the hard drive, but i don't hope or wait that PS3 runs PS2 discs, yet is pretty stupid that PS3 can do it with the PS2 classics and not from the disc when is the same thing, it was a lie that the PS3 needed that chip to emulate the game, PS2 classics runs perfect on the PS3 without that chip they removed and is the same thing, like the full retail games for PS3 on the PS Store

Have to say that Sony really screw us with that, they don't want to you use your old discs is just that, that's the truth
    Again, read what Platz said. There was a lot of coding Sony had to do to get the ps2 discs to work properly and they weren't doing a decent job of covering titles that had issues fast enough. Anyone that has a BC ps3 and actually USED it, could tell you it was never going to work in the first place. Not without the help and support of the game publishers and developers which they aren't going to do that for free. Which is why we have ps2 classics on PSN now. I guess you can blame Sony for dropping support, but even if they still had it. I promise you most of the games on the Ps2 that had issues running on the ps3 would still not be fully operational due to how slow Sony was working on it. Not their fault though.

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    If you want a PS3 that is B/C than you have to get a first gen with 4 usb ports on it. Either 40 or 60 gigs. The only 80 gig that I know of that was B/C was the MGS Special Edition PS3 (at least for the US) But I do believe that Japan had a White Special Edition PS3 (not sure what game it was for) that was also B/C.
    MGS Ps3 was BC? I rock the 80gb Motorstorm bundle BC ps3. I used the BC portion of the ps3 when I first got the ps3 because I only had 3 Ps3 games to play.... Like I said above, anyone with a BC ps3 will tell you how broken and shitty the BC was. Over half of my ps2 games didn't work properly. Which is why it was never going to work in the first place....

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I just try playing original Xbox game on black kinect 360 and it worked. So maybe I wont have to buy ps2 after all
    Last edited by ruskyamafia; 12-30-2011 at 02:15 AM.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Im not alone wanting to play my ps2 games? HURRAY
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 5 - Silver

That option was removed from newest ps3 consoles ... mine is old fatty orginal ps3 what can play ps2 games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast