Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Downloads vs Disks

This is a discussion on Downloads vs Disks within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; What are the pros and cons of downloads and disks excluding price of ps3 games thanx in advance...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Downloads vs Disks

What are the pros and cons of downloads and disks excluding price of ps3 games

thanx in advance

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Takes more space for download then disk u said not talk about price so thats it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

On Downloads it sometimes costs like 5x more than it is to buy on a disk.

I seen a game in the store for download that was 57.99 and i seen the same game on play.com for 5.... BIG DIFFERENCE.

Toggle Spoiler

PRO Member

Here's a more or less full summary. + for pros, - for cons.

Downloads:

+Loads faster and silently.
    +More convenient, you don't have to get up to swap disks when you want to play another game.
    +Available almost immediatelly and simultaneously to all consoles linked to your account.
    -Linked to your account. Cannot sell the game later.
    -You cannot take the game with you to friends or parties easily.
    -Uses up lots of harddrive space. (Not a problem with the 160/320 GB PS3 models, though.)
    -Requires an internet connection to use. Can take forever to download if you have an unstable or slow connection. 3G users may not be able to download due to monthly bandwidth limitations.

Bluray Discs:

+No monopoly. Discs are usually available for lower prices than their downloaded counter-parts if you look around.
    +You can borrow and lend discs freely between friends.
    +Can sell the games second hand later.
    +Easy to bring along to friends or parties.
    -Wastes shelf space. Particularly a problem if you buy a lot of games and/or live in a small flat.
    -Slow and noisy load times.
    -May still require HD space for install data.
    -If you buy the game through postal order, you have to wait for it to arrive.

That Southern B****

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Tas View Post

Downloads:

+More convenient, you don't have to get up to swap disks when you want to play another game.
    +Available almost immediatelly and simultaneously to all consoles linked to your account.
    -Uses up lots of harddrive space. (Not a problem with the 160/320 GB PS3 models, though.)
    -Requires an internet connection to use. Can take forever to download if you have an unstable or slow connection. 3G users may not be able to download due to monthly bandwidth limitations.

Bluray Discs:

+No monopoly. Discs are usually available for lower prices than their downloaded counter-parts if you look around.
    -Wastes shelf space. Particularly a problem if you buy a lot of games and/or live in a small flat.
    Agree with you, mate. I own two ps3 and one has a broke lens reader. On that one, I can only play downloadable games.

I have one con to add to downloadable: the number of games available for download. Currently, you can only find a select number compared to what you can find on disc.
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I prefer discs, they aren't attached to any account.

Unlikely to happen but if PSN ever goes down again you still have access to your games.

Change is mediocre

download takes more space, you cant trade it in or let someone use it without game sharing. Disk are better, but Sony doesn't agree.

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Tas View Post

Downloads:

Bluray Discs:

Pretty much spot on with this post really.

I'd like to add that also for downloads it's alot more easy on developers to release games on this format, since they don't have to worry about delays on a game when they have to ship copies around the world and have to pay all the other extra fee's associated with all that jazz.

So for them, it's quicker to get their games out and cheaper overall for them in that sense.

I've actually started to notice that lately since alot of games that do come out in a physical format hardly come with anything, and it makes me kinda annoyed. Obviously you get the game but what the fuck is going on with the manuals these days? instead of getting a nice little book for you to read, you get some shitty little leaflet with the game and thats it, oh and maybe some advertisment slip too.

Waste of money/resource if you ask me. It might be me, but I always loved opening up a game and reading through a nice thick~ish book to read up on lore about the game or just generally learn new things about it I wouldn't of known otherwise. I'll give it a good 5-10 years before things start to become alot more digital and everyone gets faster internet and physical forms of media of this sort is a thing in the past.

I'm not pro-digital by the way, I love being able to collect my video games on my shelf but the way things are looking lately.. it's gona happen.
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    I prefer discs, they aren't attached to any account.
    One of the main reasons I prefer discs. You can spend thousands of dollars on digital versions of games and if your account gets closed for whatever reason, you lose everything.

Player Hater

I enjoy games the way I like to enjoy a woman. I like picking something up from the shops, taking it home, unwrapping it, and placing it gently into the system before I spend the next few hours playing with it. Discs all the way.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    I enjoy games the way I like to enjoy a woman. I like picking something up from the shops, taking it home, unwrapping it, and placing it gently into the system before I spend the next few hours playing with it. Discs all the way.
    Let me get this straight. You go to the shop pick up a woman unwrap her and place her gently into your system before you spend the next few hours playing with her?

YOU MAH MAN!

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Download is the future but I still like something phyiscal.

It's madness that digital copies are twice the price of phyiscal media and that's for new copies nevermind 2nd hand

I fully understand why developers don't like the second hand / or lending of games. If I had to pay full price of all my games I wouldn't have anywhere near as many as I do. Nor would I take a risk on something just in case I don't like it.

Player Hater

Quote Originally Posted by CurseShooter View Post
    Let me get this straight. You go to the shop pick up a woman unwrap her and place her gently into your system before you spend the next few hours playing with her?

YOU MAH MAN!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy1975 View Post
    Download is the future but I still like something phyiscal.

It's madness that digital copies are twice the price of phyiscal media and that's for new copies nevermind 2nd hand
    I agree 100%. A brand new digital copy of a game, say Uncharted 3. Should not exceed the price of $30. But on the flip side, prior to the gaming policy change for accounts. You could pick up a game and get 5 copies of it DD because of the previous policy. So if you game shared or had it installed on 5 of your Ps3's for friends and family, it was a steal. But now that it's a 2 ps3 policy, I've stopped most of my purchases and it's not really worth it anymore. It's one thing I don't like PSN for, they are overpriced unless it's on a PS+ deal.

But yah, I prefer a physical copy of a game. I have a 1tb drive thats 50gigs away from being full. Not a fan of 15gb games taking up my HD.

PRO Member

This Exactly! And the added luxury of smelling the manual! (I know it's a little weird, but it smells so gooooood )

I just love having a physical copy of something, tbh.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

The One and Only

Discs are good for when you go from one PS3 to another without worrying about re-downloading games, but downloaded games are good in case you misplace the disc or for some reason brake it. Also downloading may take a long time to download a game depending on your overall Internet speeds.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Ive always prefered a physical copy myself as everything that i have laid eyes on,on the psn it just seems to be way over priced.So then i go to Mr ebay and purchase said game for a lot less than anywhere else and then play and then sell on when im done and i also agree with daft prophet.Sometimes the smell of a new manual/game is just

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Plats-O'-War!!

WIN!!! I so agree 100%!!!

Lvl 7 - Gold

It depends on the game, IMO.

I bought "High Velocity Bowling" on PSN, cause it saved me cash.
    But not only that : i could also game-share the game with my best friends.
    We had alot of fun bowling together online.
    I would recommand downloading these kind of games.

But, for example, "The Elder Scrolls V : SKYRIM"....
    I bought the Collector's Edition(!)
    That game has to be on my shelf!
    Including the cool dragon statue that i got with this edition.
    These games are worth buying in stores

Yankees And Packers <3

+Rep that was a great post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast