Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many Platinums is a lot or too many?

This is a discussion on How many Platinums is a lot or too many? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I mean, i have heard people say that 40 to 50 Platinum Trophies is quite a lot and crazy? So ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

How many Platinums is a lot or too many?

I mean, i have heard people say that 40 to 50 Platinum Trophies is quite a lot and crazy? So how many Platinum Trophies to you would you say is "a lot"?

Lets not forget that there are quite a few games with quite easy Platinums so that would boost your Platinum Trophy count considerably.

Basically, how many Platinum Trophies is "too many" to you?
    Last edited by Cryogenicide_X; 12-28-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'd like to "measure" a player according to the time spent on the amount of Platinums.
    For example, 30+ plats in a year VS 10 plats in a year. I'm guessing the first one is more hardcore than the other.

But as with everything, defining such things have to be done with a grain of salt.

Retired on PS3 (since Dec 2013) due to half-broken console and lack of funds and time to fix it.
    Oct 2014 - Dec 2014 - Back on PS3
    Retired on PS3 since Jan 2014 due to original reasons.

Toggle Spoiler

That Southern B****

First, I would not define a hard-core gamer by the amount of platinums they have. That's like defining a doctor by the number of prescriptions he/she writes.

Second, it would also depend on how long it is between platinums and how hard it is to earn the platinum. If it's, say, 20 hard platinums in a short time period, I would say too much time in front of the screen.
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post
    First, I would not define a hard-core gamer by the amount of platinums they have. That's like defining a doctor by the number of prescriptions he/she writes.
    I totally agree with this, I mean, how was a person defined as a hardcore gamer before the introduction of trophies?

Basically before the PS3 there were no hardcore gamers...EVER!

Local Drunk

I wouldn't define a hardcore gamers by the amount of plats they have but by the quality of their plats. They can have 50 plats but if they are all kids games or just really easy games then how are they a hardcore gamer.

PRO Member

I'd probably go by how many hard platinums I think they have

Mr. X

Just because you're a hardcore gamer doesn't mean you're going to have a lot of platinums. Some games have stupid trophies that some people might ignore in favour of playing another game.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

You weak azz niggs

Zero platinums....... I know plenty of hardcore gamers that don't care about trophies.

Since Aug. 09

i kinda set a goal of 50 platinums when i first started collecting them. i always thought that was a massive amount (still do). when i reached that goal i kinda stopped chasing them. but im hot on the tail of 3 or 4 platinums now, cant wait for that platinum feel again.

Dominate!

Since Aug. 09

Quote Originally Posted by grimydawg View Post
    Zero platinums....... I know plenty of hardcore gamers that don't care about trophies.
    lol ive said many times here...some of the best gamers (hardcore) out there, have no idea what trophies are. trophies and achievements dont make a gamer hardcore.

Dominate!

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by grimydawg View Post
    Exactly. Hardcore gamer have nothing to do with platinums amount. I know some people that can make game developer/tester stand in respect for them. Its all depend for the love and dedication of the games you love.
    Quote of the week:
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato

Crocodile Hunter

i consider myself a hardcore gamer

Sig by Apokolypz

Change is mediocre

I would measure the hardcore factor by how many games he/she has played. Trophies do not mean you are a hardcore gamer, only a trophy whore.

дурак

You should have titled it something different. Now everyone is stating what they think a hardcore gamer is.

When the real question is: How many Platinums is a lot or too many?

Personally, 50 Paltinums is quite a lot. Than again, I said 15 was a lot last year. So it'll change the more you get.

EDIT: Looking back, I kinda see how everyone thinks this is about how hardcore a gamer is. But still, they asked something different in the first post than in the title.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    You should have titled it something different. Now everyone is stating what they think a hardcore gamer is.
    Yeah I think it should, silly me.

I don't think there is "too many", it all really depends on the gamer themselves, if they want more they will get them.

PRO Member

I personally believe that the trophies do NOT make a person a "hardcore gamer". In fact, I believe it to be close to the opposite. Most trophy hunters and/or whores aren't playing the game to play the game, they just want trophies. They want the "rep" that comes with having a bunch of trophies and platinums. I think it's possible to judge a person on whether they are a hunter or whore based on their games played and trophies earned, but I don't think a person can be called a gamer just because they like to unlock trophies. Gaming was never about earning trophies. I feel like a "hardcore gamer" is based solely on how much they play, how many they play, and why they play. The answers have to be: Often, A lot, and because playing video games is their lifestyle choice. Hardcore gaming is what you see Kevin Butler talk about. I am a hardcore gamer and I don't like being grouped together with people that play disney games for easy trophies. I take pride in what I do because at the end of each day, I go back to my playstation. I can easily see myself 30-40 years from now, standing on line for a midnight release for a game because I love the series. Not because said game has a bunch of easy trophies, but because the game is flippin' awesome and it brings joy to my life to play it; and I know that because I know the name the developed it. I know the hatred the burns inside me when I see the new DMC, but I also know that Ninja Theory makes AMAZING games. Trophies and playing video games are a hobby for some people. For me, video games are a way of life. I am a hardcore gamer.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post

When the real question is: How many Platinums is a lot or too many?

Personally, 50 Paltinums is quite a lot. Than again, I said 15 was a lot last year. So it'll change the more you get.

EDIT: Looking back, I kinda see how everyone thinks this is about how hardcore a gamer is. But still, they asked something different in the first post than in the title.
    I took your advice and changed the title of this thread

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Well I think from 50 s, the particular gamer must have spend i lot of time to achieve them...

Platinum Dohvakiin

How many is a lot or too many, is a question that can't really be answered. When I first came to this site over 2 years ago. I had 0 plats. Really didn't care either. And I would be amazed at people with 10+ plats. Fast forward to now and I have 18 Plats. And a lot of my friends think that is a lot. I have friends who have 0. Like I use to have. And for them my 18 plats or just being lvl 15 are a lot. But then I'll look at Bodi who has 50+ and think that's a lot. It's all about perspective and how you see it. There really is no real number as to. How many is a lot or too many.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 7 - Gold

i dont think there is 'a lot' of platinums, first of all depends on how hard the platinums are, secondly what type of gamer the person is, example i dont really like online trophies, so most games that have online trophies liek winning 50 matches in a row, i dont even try to platinum that.

You also have to see how much the person plays ps3 in total.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast