problems with ps3 reading specific games

This is a discussion on problems with ps3 reading specific games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; i have a big problem with my ps3. ive had it since february of 2009 and its been pretty good ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

problems with ps3 reading specific games

i have a big problem with my ps3. ive had it since february of 2009 and its been pretty good up to this point. my problem is it wont read battlefield 3 and modern warfare well my copy of the games. when i played bf3 about 5 nights ago i had a glitch online where i couldnt see my guns i couldnt attack in any way. i deleted my install and re installed it worked for about a day. the next day it just started to freeze pretty much anywhere main menu or friends list and online. that night we tried to play mw3 and it froze the 3 times we tried it on the main menu in the multiplayer menu and when we started a game. ive tried mw3 on my friends' systems and it works as well as bf3 but ive also tried my friends copy of bf3 on my ps3 and it works just fine. also ive played other games that work just fine on my ps3 such as acr dcuo and mk. i thought maybe its the laser eye but what gets me is my copy of bf3 dont work on my ps3 but it works on my friends and his copy works on my ps3 and why would bf3 have to install 3 times when i first installed it when it first came out. 1 it said it had to install before i played it when the no gun glitch happened, 2 last night when i played my friends copy when it worked just fine and 3 just a few minutes ago when i tried it after i tried them on my friends ps3 and they worked just fine. can anyone please explain to me what the problem is or what it may be and what i can do to fix it?

Thanks
    Wickedtheif1

Crocodile Hunter

my prescription to you is a new ps3, you can find them at participating stores in your local area

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 1 - Bronze

kinda would rather not spend that much money if it only cost 60 bucks to get it fixed than spend 400

Nope, nothing

I would definitely ring Sony and explain the issue to them, see what they have to say about the problem.

Good luck

PRO Member

They will prolly offer to fix it for $150

PRO Member

If you have warranty then you should ring Sony, otherwise get repair shop 2 do it, they're cheaper than Sony, and if you ask them I think they might be able to keep the data on PS3, or you could just buy a new ps3, but personally I would just get it repaired , but see if Sony repair it 4 free first, if you don't ring 'em you'll never know, they fixed my PS3(out of warranty) 4 free when I rang 'em...

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Lvl 1 - Bronze

well damn i wish i tried calling them first but they might not have cause i never had a warranty on it but i said f this and took it to one stop geek shop and its probably gonna 100 but oh well i really want my ps3 back with no problems so i can get down on some bf3

Lvl 9 - Gold

Hmm.... it is weird. Maybe trade copies of the games with your friend? Obviously something is wrong with your laser... It's a $50 or less fix if you do it yourself. I rather prefer to do it myself. Saves money, time, and it's nice knowing how to do it so you could potentially fix others, or yours down the road. But your situation is strange. DCUO wouldn't be effected by it since that is a PSN game. MK is a retail game with no issues? How bout ACR? Was it PSN or Retail?

How old is your ps3? And what model?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

acr is retail and idk ive had it since february of 2009

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Have you tried this, it works.

If you are having issues with your PS3 read this!!!!

Here's my scenario, just received MK vs DC from Gamefly and I pop it in and the system resets itself when I push okay to download the update. Does this 3 times in a row. I try two other games (GTA 4 and Dead Space) same problem and I've never had this problem before. I turned my system off for one hour then tried again, same problem.

So I'm very worried I search the internet and stumble across something:
    Hold the reset button down until for about 10-12 seconds and a menu will pop with a bunch of options. (okay I knew about this)

Select the option that say restore files. What this does is checks all the config/system files for defects. You know what mine said........... hard disk files corrupted press x to restore. My stomach sunk when I saw this, I have a 250 gb hard drive. So I did it anyways.

After it finished everything was still there and my xmb ran faster, all three games loaded with no problems. Now I get to play this crappy MK game. lol

So before you send your loved one back to Sony try this quick tip that may save you time, money and a huge headache.

Last edited by mjc0961; 04-23-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Emphasis added to everything being there after the process had completed.

Thanks goes to:
    chucknorris078

It doesn't matter which PS3 you have. The PS3 has to be off hold the power till you here 3rd set of beeps then let go. If the PS3 turns off you've held the button to long and if it asks for you optimal display setting you haven't held it long enough.

Last edited by chucknorris078; 12-12-2008 at 09:45 AM.