Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Dust 514 Will change the FPS World

This is a discussion on How Dust 514 Will change the FPS World within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; DUST 514 base: Welcome to DUST 514 - world first sandbox FPS Every time I talk with people how DUST ...

INTJ

How Dust 514 Will change the FPS World

DUST 514 base: Welcome to DUST 514 - world first sandbox FPS

Every time I talk with people how DUST will change the way we think about online shooters they do look at me with skepticism at first.

How can world leading console genre change with one game? How do we shift from thinking leaderboards and simple "shoot the guy in the face"? Well, long time ago I showed you this video:

It explains why EVE Online is such amazing piece of art in every way possible. It shows how much freedom you have to become what you want to become and not what "Loadout" tells you to. Now, let's put this scenario into DUST:

You are solo player. Mercenary that is not sure which corporation to join yet. You accepted a contract that looks like some easy money and in the end you get scammed and never get that money and the contractor completed his goal. He is EVE Online player.

You decide to move on, and soon enough you find a DUST corporation that is already in alliance with that guy's EVE corporation and many others so you are pretty much invisible for now to them. You start fighting for them and slowly specializing in heavy weapons, being their main demolition guy for every piece of land they want for themselves. Now, you are a squad leader and people started to trust you so much that they will follow you to a certain death if you decide to do that.

You are promoted once again, and now you have access to all the alliance resources, assets and information how they operate in all systems. You decide to take it all in the middle of a night and leave with it to a different side of universe. They have no idea why you did that, and now they have absolutely nothing to work with. Very soon their territory becomes overwhelmed with other alliance and all their planets are lost.
    This would of course take months if not years of reputation building in one specific alliance, and I'm talking actual real-life reputation and trust. You will talk with those people, you will be friends. And then, if you are that dedicated to ruin their empire - you will take your revenge. DUST itself will not have ways to prevent you from that goal, if people that play the game give you the ability to do that. Instead, your choice will be to train for your role in game, to decide who you are joining and with who you will fight for, and how you will earn ISK and spend it.

We already know how detailed fitting system will be, how dynamic and different vehicles going to be available to us, and that every single player will have different gun in his hands while using custom made dropsuit that fits his playstyle and not what game tells him to use. All that is very well packed into a unique feel and design that is recognizable by EVE players.

There is no set pattern, and that's why this is more of EVE Online - FPS version than your actual FPS game. There is still skill of aiming and shooting people in the face aspect of it, but it is not the vital part of the game if you want to explore it deeper and go more complex than just satisfy your need to kill someone once or twice. We are talking about ruining entire enemy empire, controlling more planets than any other alliance, and being best of the best in the universe. And that is something that's gonna be your ultimate goal. But remember, there is always someone that will be on the other side - and he may be just a little bit smarter than you. At that point this game becomes "a thinking man's shooter". One correct tactical move will bring you one piece of land, and push you further.

In EVE there is one universal rule: "Don't fly anything that you can't afford to lose". And that rule explains more than you may think. You can always lose everything and there will be no save or reset button. In order to prevent that, you have to play smart and careful, but most of the beginners don't do that - and that's where the learning curve of EVE is no longer a curve - and it becomes a cliff. You eventually either quit game because you lost all your stuff, or learn not to risk and then become a better player. Very rarely games do that nowdays, and that's why this game will change you as a player and your preception on FPS genre overall.

You will become smarter, just let the game teach you thing or two first.

Lvl 4 - Silver

They said the same thing of BRINK, but this looks quite cool

The only sane person here

Sandbox FPS eh? I like where this is going.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito View Post
    They said the same thing of BRINK, but this looks quite cool
    Brink wasn't a sandbox fps.

also brink was awesome, it's just the community abandoned it way too early.

they still do free weekends on steam (play it for free all weekend) for it and it's nice to play around then.

But Dust 514 isn't simply Caw of dudy shoot everything extravaganza. you have to be smart enough to actually have relationships with other people/corporations and build up a ACTUAL reputation in-game (no bar leveling shit, like actual community reputation.)
    Last edited by Ps360; 12-29-2011 at 02:12 PM.

The One and Only

Will it change the FPS world? Maybe. Will I be getting this game to see for myself? Possibly. Looks interesting though

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Death is Awaiting....

It does look promising, but i guess we'll just have to see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Platinum Procrastinator

I'm planning on checking this out as I know a group of people who I played NavyFIELD (A Navy based MMO) with all play EVE online.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I am absolutely stoked for this game. That is all.

Prayer Warrior

they said the same thing about brink which SUCKED....no it's not awesome ps360.....it sucks. there's a reason why it's in the $5 bin which is still $3 too much. and they said the same about mag and it never had the content to deliver on all the promises.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Argh bloody Brink, the only gun that shot straight was the sniper rifle

Never heard of Dust though gonna check it out like the dirty FPS whore that I am.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    there's a reason why it's in the $5 bin which is still $3 too much.
    because the community abandoned it?

There's a reason the PC Version was way more loved then the terribad console version

Lvl 6 - Silver

Its a very bold statement to make....just have to wait to see if they can actually follow through

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Like most games that actually require teamwork, trust and cooperation, its learning curve will be it's demise. It'll be kept alive for a while by a niche group of console gamers until it eventually (and inevitably) just withers away. That's assuming that the gameplay isn't clunky and unappealing on it's own, which is entirely possible being developed by folks with little to no background in FPS development.

Besides, the whole "true role playing" FPS was already done in Face of Mankind. Certainly not to this scale and it didn't have the cult following to work off of like Dust has with Eve, but the idea of building real life relationships and trust just won't sit well with most people... especially console gamers. We like instant gratification, it's why the "Caw of Duty" games are so popular.
    Last edited by Dreakon; 12-29-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Lvl 4 - Silver

i guess we'll see
    personally, anything over average is manageable
    also, things are always gonna be better in thought (perceived as a 4, realized as a 3.5 or worse)

and i think this game is worth trying
    that's the best i can say
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

Lvl 3 - Bronze

oh it's an MMO

PRO Member

The idea seems rather awesome. Whether it works out... is upto the gamers.
    From the trailer, I did wanna go and piss off half the world, by selling months of their alliance work.
    Which is why I could see myself hating this game, when some other tosser did the same.

Lvl 6 - Silver

didnt they already do star wars?

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    The idea seems rather awesome. Whether it works out... is upto the gamers.
    From the trailer, I did wanna go and piss off half the world, by selling months of their alliance work.
    Which is why I could see myself hating this game, when some other tosser did the same.
    Yah, the same situation for every gamer? Sounds kinda predictable and stupid honestly. Also, dying and being "reborn"? Lol... It looks ok, the trailer didn't look like a FPS. But oh well. We'll see.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

This idea seems to teeter on the brink of being truly groundbreaking and being royally flawed, either way, i'd like to find out, a fresh take on any genre deserves attention.

Oh and Brink? deserved better and actually was good just a tad misguided.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSonofvenom View Post
    This idea seems to teeter on the brink of being truly groundbreaking and being royally flawed, either way, i'd like to find out, a fresh take on any genre deserves attention.
    Again, the concept of player-driven roleplaying in a MMOFPS has already been done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast