Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nintendo, EA, and Sony Electronics Drop SOPA Support, But not really

This is a discussion on Nintendo, EA, and Sony Electronics Drop SOPA Support, But not really within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Now The Largest Game Companies In The World Have Dropped Support For A Bill The Internet Hates Nintendo, Electronic Arts ...

INTJ

Nintendo, EA, and Sony Electronics Drop SOPA Support, But not really

Now The Largest Game Companies In The World Have Dropped Support For A Bill The Internet Hates

Nintendo, Electronic Arts and Sony Electronics — some of the largest video game companies in the world — have all pulled their support for an online bill that could encourage censorship online, according to an updated list of supporters of the bill.

Those three companies all supported the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) when it first entered Congress, according to a report from Joystiq in November.

SOPA, along with the PROTECT IP act in the Senate, give content-producing companies the right to order a take down for a website that they believe is infringing on a copyright. If you even host links to content that infringes on a copyright, you have to take it down.

If not, the copyright owner can request that the infringing site has its advertising and transaction revenue cut off. Or it can request that a domain name — like businessinsider.com — be blacklisted and rendered inaccessible.

Note, Sony Music Entertainement and Sony Movie Entertainment still support SOPA, So it still stands that Sony supports SOPA.

Also Sony Electronics, EA, and Nintendo are still part of the ESA, Who still supports SOPA, so technically They still all support SOPA.

Here's a list of Game Companies part of ESA, Since they are part of the ESA they fully 100% Support SOPA Reguardless of PR Bullshit:

38 Studios
    345 Games
    505 Games
    Capcom USA, Inc.
    Deep Silver
    Disney Interactive Studios, Inc.
    Eidos Interactive
    Electronic Arts
    Epic Games, Inc.
    Her Interactive, Inc.
    Ignition Entertainment
    Konami Digital Entertainment
    LEVEL-5 Inc.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
    Natsume Inc.
    Nexon America, Inc.
    Nintendo of America Inc.
    Nival
    NVIDIA
    O-Games, Inc.
    Perfect World Entertainment
    SEGA of America, Inc.
    Slang
    Sony Computer Entertainment America
    Sony Online Entertainment, Inc.
    Square Enix, Inc.
    Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
    Tecmo Koei America Corporation
    THQ, Inc.
    Trion Worlds, Inc.
    Ubisoft Entertainment, Inc.
    Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Inc.
    XSEED Games

keep tearin them down anon.

DON'T BLINK

Lvl 3 - Bronze

There was already posted on the "Anonymous Targets Sony Again" thread ...

I do enjoy the way that people use the 'they are part of a group so they must agree with them' argument (ie ESA). Proves how much you know about how groups and general sales tactics work

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post

yea because fuck your internet rights and yay censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch-fr View Post
    There was already posted on the "Anonymous Targets Sony Again" thread ...

I do enjoy the way that people use the 'they are part of a group so they must agree with them' argument (ie ESA). Proves how much you know about how groups and general sales tactics work

To join/maintain membership to the ESA you need to give them money.

thus you support the ESA if your part of it and agree with anything they support. If they didn't support it they would pull out of the association.

Lvl 6 - Silver

i already posted this on the tread that says anonymous targeted sony but il put it here, this was a response to my comment on the vid, i said "this isn't justice anymore.." and they said this ._.

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    No, a fuck wasn't given to your tripe that you post loudly any chance you get. We get it, you carry a hard on for anon. This bill has a snowball's chance in hell to pass, and everyone running around screaming the sky is falling are delusional.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

No, a fuck wasn't given to your tripe that you post loudly any chance you get. We get it, you carry a hard on for anon.
    I enjoyed that one, but don't post enough here to have a moan myself :p

INTJ

No, a fuck wasn't given to your tripe that you post loudly any chance you get. We get it, you carry a hard on for anon. This bill has a snowball's chance in hell to pass, and everyone running around screaming the sky is falling are delusional.
    It doesn't matter if there's a snowball chance to pass (there is a chance it can pass, Tons of Major Movie companies and music companies support it and can bribe politicians via "Donations"), it's still a bad bill and everyone should be aware of the terrible shit.

not to mention there's a second version of the bill, Protect IP, thats already in the senate.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

To join/maintain membership to the ESA you need to give them money.

thus you support the ESA if your part of it and agree with anything they support. If they didn't support it they would pull out of the association.
    That is the biggest amount of balls I have heard in a long time. But does prove my point... You really do not understand how groups work in a commercial sense ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

It doesn't matter if there's a snowball chance to pass (there is a chance it can pass, Tons of Major Movie companies and music companies support it and can bribe politicians via "Donations"), it's still a bad bill and everyone should be aware of the terrible shit.

not to mention there's a second version of the bill, Protect IP, thats already in the senate.
    That's why Doom should run the world. Emperor Doom 2012!
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom View Post
    Don't know you, but you got my vote.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Kiwi Defender

I wouldn't be so sure, there are a lot of morons in high places everywhere (US being a prime example).

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

This whole thing is really ridiculous at this point. For the most part Koimia is exactly right, in the fact that this thing doesn't have a chance in hell of passing, come hell or high water; but it's grown so much legs by people who somehow believe that it's a foregone conclusion that SOPA is going to pass, that I don't think the majority of people think any more about the issue and just grab the pitchforks and torches and scream for bloody murder.

You suggest that the hackers go and attack the people that support the bill, would be about the political equivalent to assassinating a civil rights leader, in getting the support this law needs to pass. It would do infinitely more harm than it would good and give the bill the steam that it would need to build further financial backers and show how harmful the internet community is to their causes. To support such insolent drivel is beyond idiotic.

And contrary to the fact that it seems to be the chic thing for non-Americans to sit there and turn this into a "Well, America is ran by a bunch of idiots, so it's going to pass because the country is stupid" issue, I believe that there are a lot more people who understand the ramifications of the issue if the bill came to pass, than those so-called "idiots" that would realize that it would kill a lot of their chances for reelection along with the economic future for the country and world.

If, (and this is a ridiculous argument to be saying if to begin with) the bill passes, what do you think would be the economic repercussions on not only the US Economy, but the global economy if suddenly sites like Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, forums like this one suddenly had all of their content forcefully removed in the weeks that followed, and what would happen to all those ad dollars that those sites work with, and what would happen to the stock market in the days to follow? Do you really think think that the global economy could take a hit as big as it would if the internet turned into the inevitable graveyard in the months to come that followed the passing of the bill?

And before you run and drop that all these companies are dropping millions of dollars into the backing of this bill - exactly how much do you think the taxpayers and people who oppose this (especially the ones who do actually write to their representatives, and don't need to stand on a soapbox and state that they're against it, but do it through the means that believe it or not - have actually proved results in the past) would stop spending in the overall boycotting of the people who did make this pass? You'd be talking about billions, if not trillions of dollars that would be lost for the corporations who back this, would see in backlash when the masses wake-up and realize that they can no longer log on to Facebook, or tweet about what they think about so-and-so's new album.

The internet as it stands now is bigger money than movies, music, and games combined. So if you think that any lawmaker is going to sit there and take the risk of passing a piss poor written law, that may hide behind the facade of a cause that the vast majority of people are against - anti-piracy - but be be so draconian that the financial repercussions would cause the financial impact of a global economic implosion, you're sadly mistaken.

You'll see in the coming weeks as more and more corporations realize that this is bad idea to back, and continue to pull out their support as they discover that the amount of damage that would result doesn't equal the amount of loses that could be counteracted by better means.

So stop acting like the sky is falling, because it isn't and won't if you leave things be. But if you think hackers attacking the corporations, and possibly the U.S. government is some solution that is going to stop this, don't be surprised if this does get passed because some idiotic actions by a bunch of idiots forced their hand.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

The only sane person here

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom View Post

Sorry but I'm voting for her,

Lvl 9 - Gold

Note, Sony Music Entertainement and Sony Movie Entertainment still support SOPA, So it still stands that Sony supports SOPA.
    Those portions of the company always supported the bill, because they are the ones most effected by piracy. Where as SCE never supported the bill. Sounds like old news being spread around as new news...

Wow, your intelligence level hit the all time low. Since when did a paid service become a "right"? Learn something about this world before commenting...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightSparkle View Post

Sorry but I'm voting for her,
    That Poster pales in comparison to this one.

Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 6 - Silver

This whole thing is really ridiculous at this point. For the most part Koimia is exactly right, in the fact that this thing doesn't have a chance in hell of passing, come hell or high water;.....So stop acting like the sky is falling, because it isn't and won't if you leave things be. But if you think hackers attacking the corporations, and possibly the U.S. government is some solution that is going to stop this, don't be surprised if this does get passed because some idiotic actions by a bunch of idiots forced their hand.
    Nail. Head.
    This is the best answer I've read in a long time, well said.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 7 - Gold

i don't if this law will pass or not, but hope that if it this this site will not be closed

PRO Member

This is a great example of people on the internet not functioning on planes of reality though, let me explain to you how these advocacy groups like ESA actually work.

A group of companies get together and pay money to physically hire other entites to do things that function in their interest as a collective. They may meet anywhere between 1-4 times a year and vote on various things and input directions and goals, things like starting a campaign to bring awareness for the Cali anti-game legislation or bring awareness for the AU censorship laws.

Here is the thing though, outside of those meetings the ESA functions as an independent entity, and during those meetings consensus and direction is achieved through voting as per a set of by-laws.

To assume that each member of the ESA supports SOPA because ESA supports SOPA is kind of stupid as the ESA is really its own group of people who 95% of the time function independent of their support network. I find this funny in particular because of your blind support of Anon (which, btw, will eventually backfire in your face because they are 1984 incarnate), as this is an example of what I've been saying about how guilt-by-association is only a given when anonymity is desired/pursued. You can't assume guilt-by-association here because SCE is not anonymous in their membership of the ESA. When they say they don't support it, you can't backhand that and say they do because of their membership in a trade-association.

Moreover, as I said when this first went up and linked that phenomenal OpenCongress page (the only trustable source of information), the support for something is subjective. Support for something could be discerned from a donation to a congressman who supported it all the way to a lobbyist pressuring the congressman through. Fuck sometimes the congressman calls their donors and just asks "Are you for this?". Given the ESA is a trade association, its unlikely the lobbying thing is the case as SOPA is a law that falls in conflict between two of their stated goals (its anti-piracy yes, but its also pro-censorship). I would find it difficult to believe that the ESA has a lobbyist down in Washington advocating for them on something that their mission statement is conflicted on... Moreover the ESA has, for the most part, been focused on advertisment and awareness rather than true lobbying (the original purpose of the ESA was to standardize and support the ESRB).

Lastly, How many times do I have to explain to you that Sony is a collection of dozens of smaller companies? Sony Music Entertainment and Sony Pictures Entertainment (lolSonyMovieEntertainment) are independent companies that function under the greater Sony banner. Its not horrendously different in concept from how the EU functions, the EU is little more than a collective of European Nations with some express goal or purpose, but that doesn't mean Germany isn't capable of making its own choices.

In this particular case I understand why music distribution companies and movie distribution companies would support SOPA, they stand to lose nothing by its incorporation...

Look, SOPA is a fucking stupid idea. The thing is though its not universally bad for everyone from every perspective, entites are entitled to their opinions and viewpoints. In this case I understand why SME and SPE have the stance they do, I will just choose to boycott their products from here on out.

Taking stances like Anon, openly attacking people for disagreeing with you and enforcing your will through terrorism. Well thats tyranny, thats fear-mongering, thats anti-freedom and thats in direct opposition of the inalienable right every human has to their own mind.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

The One and Only

Pfft, SOPA will die out eventually. Just watch

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast