Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

is it wrong to cheat on trophies

This is a discussion on is it wrong to cheat on trophies within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying....

Lvl 7 - Gold

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I think it's a pussy way out, but I also think boosting is a pussy way out.
    I have to disagree, like what Bangcrashboom said some games do not have players online. I did some boosting on The Fight, Lights Out because the online community is dead. Instead of giving up on it, I got some friends to help out.

Also it would be really hard to tell people I platinum The Fight without boosting. Would anyone even believe me? The game bearly had players online the first week, and I kept getting owned by some weird arm glitch which was unfair to begin with.

Trophy Huntin'

Quote Originally Posted by d3m0nd00d View Post
    Then you don't get the plat and your life goes on or better yet get a bunch of people together to actually play the game instead of boosting. (Hell you were going to take time to get a group anyhow might as well play, right?) If you play with your group and you don't get the trophy, guess you didn't deserve it.
    I actually agree with that, however, you aren't going to find very many people willing to play the game, rather than boosting. They figure if you're getting the group together, you're wanting to boost and nothing else. I don't dissagree with you, i personally am not much of a fan of boosting, although i actually have on games with no community, and with my experience, people won't want to just play to play, they're going to want to boost it. Then you're left with two choices, boost and earn the platinum, or refuse to play and leave it alone

However, this is a topic irrelevant to this thread. So to reiterate my opinion, it's not cheating if you change the time. You earned it.

Looking for some new games? Check out the Trading post for some great deals!
    Latest Platinum: Batman: The Order 1886

Working On: PS4: Star Wars Battlefront and Rocket League
    PS3: Dishonored and Borderlands the Pre-Sequel
    Vita: Rainbow Moon and Hotline Miami 2

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by d3m0nd00d View Post
    I think it's a pussy way out, but I also think boosting is a pussy way out. If you can't earn the trophy without having your buddy stand there and take shots in the head do you really deserve the trophy? In my opinion NO!
    see, it depends on the trophy requirements. If you finish the single player story mode yourself and get all the trophies for that, but have to "kill X people online" or "fight a battle on every available map" or some other requirement that really doesn't take skill to complete, then boosting is fine. I just finished getting the Guitar Hero 5 multiplayer trophies, and all of them were just "play a song with...". You didn't need to win the song, just play it. Sorry, but waiting around for 3 other drummers would take a planetary alignment to occur.

Lvl 6 - Silver

as for cheating, there are other things that can be considered cheating for trophies. Guitar Hero 5 again - put a mic in front of the fan & set the difficulty to Beginner. as lomg as the mic picks up a sound, it counts as the pitch of the words. Instant 100% of the song and 6 stars.

Sorry, but some of the songs on that disc just suck (either musically or play-wise or both).

PRO Member

well besides special cases like the ones already mentioned id say you only cheat yourself by cheating the trophies

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Change is mediocre

Wow.

Honestly, it makes lives easier. Great example by Comp with Calender Man from Batman Arkham City. If you feel like wasting your time playing a game on a holiday for trophies, or waiting weeks, then hats off to you (actually, no, I pity you).

Lvl 6 - Silver

for certain trophies, but people that hack plats are just plain sad, trophies are meant to be fun and challenging so you get more enjoyment and expierence out of a game. At least thats what i aim for
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Lvl 4 - Silver

If it's gotten to the point where you don't even feel like playing because some trophy is ridiculous than it's counterproductive. While I agree with earning your way, games are played for fun. If you're playing a game and not enjoying it, you're doing something that I think is more wrong than the occasional time change or trophy boost for nonsense grindfests. We have lives to live, ya know?
    Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! TURN IT OFF!

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    I wouldn't really call getting trophies like that cheating, when people download a save which gives them all the trophies, that's cheating.

Exactly, when I saw that trophy I instantly thought "I wonder if changing the dates on the PS3 will work "
    Same. There's no way I'm going to wait a whole year. And knowing my situation I wouldn't be able to play on that day.

PRO Member

This is not cheating imo, also boosting a trophy maybe cheap but at least you're putting the effort into it. Just thought I'd throw that in there

Sig by Smashguy

PRO Member

As far as changing the date on your console to get a trophy, or boosting (to some extent), no. I don't consider that as cheating.
    Now if you use any other things like, save hacks, account sharing, etc. You shouldn't even consider yourself a "Trophy Hunter".

Sig by - ~ Avatar by - DaRe

Zombie Killin' Business
    Are you a Professional Zombie Slayer? Join now!

Side Project
    My (incomplete) checklist, and trophy guides.

The GGA
    Sig Battles, SotW, SotM, and more!

Got a YouTube Channel?
    Post it here!

Buy my book, Alteration

On stuff like that, no. I mean, take the Batman AC thing for example: why wait a year to visit each holiday when you can just visit them all in a half-an-hour by switching the system clock? It's just a useless time-waster than an actual feat.

Boosting depends. It depends on the strenuousness of the trophy, and what the goal actually is.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I say that if you have no other reasonable alternative then it's ok, like say the Auf wiedersehen Petrovic trophy on GTA 4, there's no way anyone can sit through all those different gametypes & races doing it legitimately without going mentally insane, however on time-based trophies I try to do them legit, like UFC Personal trainer, i'm going through that game without fast-forwarding the clock on my ps3, mainly cause i'm actually doing most of the workouts, but I say don't unless you know you'll miss it

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Compalicious View Post
    I dont think so, for certain trophies anyways. I did it for My Aquarium, it would have taken me months to complete the game if I had not adjusted the dates.

Same with Batman, do they really expect people to go on the game every holiday, wait a year? I think not
    Yeah, i agree with this.

Closing this account

your cool. if you gotta boost, go ahead. just dont use hack files. the ppl that says its wrong just look at the games they played and see how many easy platinums vs hard platinums they have. dont worry dude.

MK Plat = Overrated

I think it should be taken on a case by case basis. For this instance, I would probably say it is iffy. But if you did it on say UFC Personal Trainer (the "Workout each day for a month trophy") then you are just a scrub that needs to be banned. In the case of Batman, I think it's reasonable enough to do that. However, in UFC, the whole point of the game is to work out. It isn't going to be a weekend . You should know this before going into such a game.

As far as boosting goes, I think this too should be taken on a case by case basis. If you are boosting BF3 or COD: MW3 then you are, again, a scrub bitch bastard. However, if you boost a game like Brutal Legend (), which has been out for damn near three years, then that may be ok. Anybody who still has that game may help you boost it, but hell if they want to play hours on end actually playing the game with you. Servers are definitely dead by now.

Case by case.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON1NINJA View Post
    This is not cheating imo, also boosting a trophy maybe cheap but at least you're putting the effort into it. Just thought I'd throw that in there
    I agree with this. Also you have to think about what if there were no trophies. People would just play their games and once finished move onto something else. However, because of trophies, we now have a lot of people who are obsessed with getting an 100% completion rate on their games so they need to boost certain games in order to do so.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 7 - Gold

the way you mentioned no. i did it for batman but if you use save games, or hack the game then yes

Lvl 7 - Gold

A friend called me up a while ago...

Friend: Hey man, guess what!
    Me: What?
    Friend: I got a file from internet, that will give you ALL the LBP2-trophies !
    Me: Really?
    Friend: Yeah, and it works man! Look at my profile, i platted it!
    Me: (after looking) Wow! You've earned alot of trophies within one minute!
    Friend: You should do it to man!
    Me: I don't know...
    Friend: Come on! It's simple! Only 5 minutes work... Don't you want your first Platinum?
    Me: Yeah...i do...but...
    Friend: Let me come over to your house and i'll do it for you
    Me: ehm...Okay.

So this friend comes over to my place and starts deleting all my LBP2-saves and installs the file...

Friend: Hey...this is weird...
    Me: What?
    Friend: It doesn't seem to work on your PS3...
    Me: Why not?
    Friend: I don't know....
    Me: Now what?
    Friend: Well...guess you'll have to earn those trophies the honest way...
    Me: Thanks for deleting my saves then....
    Friend: Sorry for that...and i think i also deleted your LBP1-saves....
    Me: great.......

I got my lesson learned, tried to cheat, now i have to play those games all over again from the beginning...I got punished.
    I'll never cheat again...
    Although that time-thingy in batman sounds tempting....
    And that speechcraft-glitch in skyrim....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast