Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

is it wrong to cheat on trophies

This is a discussion on is it wrong to cheat on trophies within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Save games and hacks yes but ones like changing times or boosting then no...but who really cares it's only a ...

PRO Member

Save games and hacks yes but ones like changing times or boosting then no...but who really cares it's only a trophy your life will go on the same if you dont earn them all.

Proud Greek Gamer

Other than hacking the game with save files etc,I think its ok to do a little bit of cheating.

Signature and Avatar made by the awesome TheGeneral09

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Depends on the trophy, if it's for "X amount of play hours" then no, for obvious reasons. However, trophies that actually take hard work and skill should not be cheated, it defeats to point of even having trophies at all.

Crocodile Hunter

for boosting trophies/ changing dates etc then no its fine, for hacking trophies then you shouldnt do that

Sig by Apokolypz

Legend...Nuff Said

I'm with the vast majority and say those 'time' trophies arn't cheating if you change the date in your system. Also, in the case of the Batman one, what if your not from the US and either don't recognize certain dates as holidays or totally forget about them because its not in your country? I'm from Canada, its hard enough to remember our Thanksgiving day, let alone when the one in the US is.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

MK Plat = Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I'm with the vast majority and say those 'time' trophies arn't cheating if you change the date in your system. Also, in the case of the Batman one, what if your not from the US and either don't recognize certain dates as holidays or totally forget about them because its not in your country? I'm from Canada, its hard enough to remember our Thanksgiving day, let alone when the one in the US is.
    Dude, I was thinking the same thing. Who's holidays are they talking about? That's the dumbest trophy ever. Where the developers on crack when they thought of that one. Makes Americans look even worse than we already do to the rest of the world. Thanks you egocentric bastards.

PRO Member

I think that require no skill, e.g. play this game on this day or wait ___________ number of days then do this you should be allowed to cheat on as they require no skill, but trophies that require skill you should do properley....

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    Dude, I was thinking the same thing. Who's holidays are they talking about? That's the dumbest trophy ever. Where the developers on crack when they thought of that one. Makes Americans look even worse than we already do to the rest of the world. Thanks you egocentric bastards.
    Rocksteady is a british company. It sounds like a silly trophy, but not the worst. The worst trophy I've ever heard of was from Major League Baseball 2K11, which was for playing the All-Star Game on MLB Today mode. This mode lets you play the real MLB schedule on a day by day basis.

In other words, to get this trophy, you had to play the game on July 12th, 2011. If you couldn't play the game that day for some reason, or didn't know about this strict one day requirement, you're screwed. No clock setting will work on this one, as the game is determined by 2K's server.

Now granted, it's a sports game, and one that is vastly inferior to the PS3 exclusive MLB The Show franchise, but it's still gotta be the dumbest trophy ever.

Legend...Nuff Said

Thats the craziest trophy, and stupidest. Really, changing the time won't let you get it? Thats got to be the rarest plat then ever.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Thats the craziest trophy, and stupidest. Really, changing the time won't let you get it? Thats got to be the rarest plat then ever.
    Sports games are rare platinums in general as most trophy hunters aren't huge sports fans, and most people who play sports games aren't really that interested in trophies. Then you get into the fact that the online servers will be turned off, making some trophies impossible to obtain means there's nobody getting these games a few years down the road for trophy hunting.

But yeah, the 2K baseball games are especially rare because if you have a PS3, you're gonna buy The Show. Add in the stupid one day only trophy and the fact that 2K shuts down the servers earlier than anyone else, and it adds up to very few plats for their games.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Depends on who you ask

Lvl 4 - Silver

Well when it comes to online trophies people might end up cheating to get the wins or such. Like the Uncharted 2 trophies that deal with the online.

I've been apart of the boosting. There are times in which others will purposely just cheat in order to get a win for the trophy. It's not fun but that's online trophies for you.

Signature And Avatar Made By DjungList!
    Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Platinum #10

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
    In my opinion, on trophies like these, no. They're no skill involved to achieve a trophy like this, and is more of a waste of time than anything.
    i agree, any trophies that involve grinding or anything like that instead of skill, take all the shortcuts you can lol

A plat a month!

My basic rule of thumb is:

1. If you don't have to bring anything external into the system, its not cheating. In game exploits are OK with me, since the programmers/developers neglected to fix their game (i.e. wolfenstein, the level 50 exploit) However using file saves involves external sources, I do consider that cheating.

2. Boosting isn't cheating

Lvl 1 - Bronze

where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

My feelings have already been posted by other members regarding the time-changing workaround and not using hacks. I also agree that boosting should be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Some online trophies are so easy or at least reasonable that I think they should be hunted legitimately. Some of those trophies would take more time posting to forums looking for boosters and waiting for enough people to be online that it would have been faster just to do it oneself. However, when some developers decide to add trophies that would require 20-30+ hours of dedication when done "legitimately", I feel that it's a gimmick to get people to just play their game more. That's a case where I think boosting is completely acceptable.

I'm not a big online gamer. I can enjoy playing online, but when the trophies require so much time, I'm definitely boosting. Especially if the online community is dead or the game isn't much fun online. I want to have fun with my games, but I also have that side of me that wants to complete everything in a game. I am a full time student and I have a wife and two kids. I don't have a whole lot of time to game, so I want the most bang for my time. For me, I can justify boosting certain trophies. Honestly, I think that it comes down to each individual gamer and if they can fairly justify the means.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Diwnloading Save files dont work i tried

Since Aug. 09

Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    I think it should be taken on a case by case basis. For this instance, I would probably say it is iffy. But if you did it on say UFC Personal Trainer (the "Workout each day for a month trophy") then you are just a scrub that needs to be banned. In the case of Batman, I think it's reasonable enough to do that. However, in UFC, the whole point of the game is to work out. It isn't going to be a weekend . You should know this before going into such a game.

As far as boosting goes, I think this too should be taken on a case by case basis. If you are boosting BF3 or COD: MW3 then you are, again, a scrub bitch bastard. However, if you boost a game like Brutal Legend (), which has been out for damn near three years, then that may be ok. Anybody who still has that game may help you boost it, but hell if they want to play hours on end actually playing the game with you. Servers are definitely dead by now.

Case by case.
    i agree with this guy 100%

Dominate!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by _RiCaRdO_ View Post
    A friend called me up a while ago...

Friend: Hey man, guess what!
    Me: What?
    Friend: I got a file from internet, that will give you ALL the LBP2-trophies !
    Me: Really?
    Friend: Yeah, and it works man! Look at my profile, i platted it!
    Me: (after looking) Wow! You've earned alot of trophies within one minute!
    Friend: You should do it to man!
    Me: I don't know...
    Friend: Come on! It's simple! Only 5 minutes work... Don't you want your first Platinum?
    Me: Yeah...i do...but...
    Friend: Let me come over to your house and i'll do it for you
    Me: ehm...Okay.

So this friend comes over to my place and starts deleting all my LBP2-saves and installs the file...

Friend: Hey...this is weird...
    Me: What?
    Friend: It doesn't seem to work on your PS3...
    Me: Why not?
    Friend: I don't know....
    Me: Now what?
    Friend: Well...guess you'll have to earn those trophies the honest way...
    Me: Thanks for deleting my saves then....
    Friend: Sorry for that...and i think i also deleted your LBP1-saves....
    Me: great.......

I got my lesson learned, tried to cheat, now i have to play those games all over again from the beginning...I got punished.
    I'll never cheat again...
    Although that time-thingy in batman sounds tempting....
    And that speechcraft-glitch in skyrim....
    Thats freaking hilarious!

PRO Member

I think that on some games i had more fun before i started looking for trophies, I agree with the majority that save files and hacking is not only cheating it is illegal. From the point of view that boosting is cheating well so is using a trophy guide if that is the case! I had some trophies and then i start to crave them, eventually that lead me to this site and now i try to enjoy a game and if i cant find a journal or some collectable i will use the guide. Some games i plat and i used all the guides and help on others i found all of the items myself either way i earned the so its mine, IM keeping it !!!!!

This _ _ _ _ is getting Serious!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't consider cheating and hacking the same thing. Hacking, code breaking, or any other scheme designed to obtain trophies without even having to play a game is pathetic and doesn't make you a true gamer.

Traditional cheats are rare in games these days, so cheating in the sense of cutting corners to obtain a grinding trophy or one to that affect is fair game in my books. If I can save 20hrs. of time in my life by doing something in a fraction of that time, I will do that every time, especially since these trophies have no bearing in the real world (I can think of only one other person I know who is interested in trophies).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast