Need to Replace My PS3's HDD

This is a discussion on Need to Replace My PS3's HDD within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Okay, so I have like 6gb left on my PS3 and I think I'm just going to buy a new ...

PRO Member

Need to Replace My PS3's HDD

Okay, so I have like 6gb left on my PS3 and I think I'm just going to buy a new HDD.
    I don't really care about transferring the data from my current HDD, as I can just copy my saves with PS+, and copy all the music and videos to a flash drive.
    What I need to know is what kind of HDD to get, and what I need what I need to do after I put it in to get it to work with my PS3.
    Does it matter if it's 5400 or 7200rpm? Also I heard there was a size limit (like 1tb or something) is that true?

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by SideEffect; 01-02-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Sig by - ~ Avatar by - DaRe

Zombie Killin' Business
    Are you a Professional Zombie Slayer? Join now!

Side Project
    My (incomplete) checklist, and trophy guides.

The GGA
    Sig Battles, SotW, SotM, and more!

Got a YouTube Channel?
    Post it here!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Buy a 2.5" laptop hard drive. I like the Western Digital brand. Of course, other people will have other opinions on brands.

Most HDD come in 5400RPM or 7200RPM. This is basically how fast the disk spins, which determines how fast the hard drive can load data. I've never found the difference to be that noticeable, but again, other people will have different opinions.

Finally, you can follow this guide for the actual installation of the hard drive.

After that, just turn the PS3 on, and it will do the rest for you. It's really simple.

I'd recommend Newegg for getting a new HDD. They have reasonable prices and feedback to help with your decision.

R.I.P Ellie

Exactly like rockman0 said. I've changed a few hard drives on mine and it's really as simple as; take the old hard drive out and putting the new one in.
    I've also got Western Digital in mine

Just incase you need clarification

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    Exactly like rockman0 said. I've changed a few hard drives on mine and it's really as simple as; take the old hard drive out and putting the new one in.
    I've also got Western Digital in mine

Just incase you need clarification
    Yeah, I know how to change the hard drive out. But I just didn't know what kind to get.
    So it doesn't matter if it's 5400 or 7200rpm? Also I heard there was a size limit (like 1tb or something) is that true?

Zombie Killin' Business

Side Project

The GGA

Got a YouTube Channel?
    Post it here!

You weak azz niggs

Yes, from my understanding 1TB is the limit. There are only certain ones that will work with the PS3, at least when I bought mine ( a 1TB) almost four years ago. Give me a general idea of how often you your PS3 and I'll give the best solution IMO. I personally have a 1TB, but I have so much a ton of stuff from the PSN and I've spend a lot of money ( a fortune for some), just on Rock Band DLC

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Now's not the best time to upgrade though, HDD prices have almost doubled since the floods in Thailand. If you can wait it out, I would. That's what I'm doing. I have about 10 gigs left on my OEM HDD.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by grimydawg View Post
    Give me a general idea of how often you your PS3 and I'll give the best solution IMO.
    Oh, I would probably need a least 500gb. (that way I would never have to delete anything)

With all this 'flooding' business, it looks like I'll have to wait a bit for prices to drop again =/

Zombie Killin' Business

Side Project

The GGA

Got a YouTube Channel?
    Post it here!

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

As far as rpm speed goes, no it don't really matter, though you might end up paying abit more if you feel so inclined to get a 7200rpm HD for a barely noticeable difference in loading speeds, if any at all.

If speed is something you want, get an SSD instead.

I personally bought a samsung 640GB 5400rpm HD for like around 30/40 or so and it does the job fine, so brand wise whatever takes your fancy really. Just remember to download the newest firmware from sony's site and put that on a memory stick since it'll ask for it when you boot it up with the new HD.
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

PRO Member

will the hdd mo cache size make a difference?

Lvl 5 - Silver

I might also have to change my harddrive soon too.Will the saved data stay on the harddrive or do you HAVE to back up all your saved data on a flashdrive? or is that just if you want to copy it to the new one?

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 8 - Gold

does anyone know if swapping the sony-installed hard drive out for a new one cancels out the warranty for the ps3? ive had my ps3 for about 16 months and i have 3GB left out of 320 (298 to be exact). i bought the ps3 on sale at target, which the sale included a 3 year warranty from sony themselves. if i swap out my current hard drive with a new one, does that negate the remaining 20 months or my warranty?