Weird PS3 HDMI problem (very important, help please)

This is a discussion on Weird PS3 HDMI problem (very important, help please) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; When I came back home tonight, I tried to start my PS3 to play it but I was unable to ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Weird PS3 HDMI problem (very important, help please)

When I came back home tonight, I tried to start my PS3 to play it but I was unable to see anything using the same settings as usual. Itís quite weird since it was working this afternoon. Iíve tried many things to figure out if the problem is the PS3, the HDMI cable or the TV but I still canít find an answer.

Iíve tried to hook up the PS3 to my TV using HDMI on 2 different ports and using 2 different HDMI cables, nothing works. Then, I tried to hook up my PS3 on my brotherís PC screen and everything was working fine. The PS3 was fine so I thought the TV was the problem. Then, I tried hooking up my brotherís PS3 to my TV (same ports I tried with my PS3) and everything was working fine. I also tried to start my Xbox360 using the same ports and it worked too.

So, letís summarize:

ē My PS3 to my TV (using both HDMI ports and cables): Not Working
    ē My PS3 to my brotherís PC screen: Working
    ē My brotherís PS3 to my brotherís PC screen: Working
    ē My brotherís PS3 to my TV: Working
    ē My X360 to my TV: Working

So, with what I tried, I conclude that neither my TV, my PS3 nor my HDMI cables are the problem. Iíve even tried to reset the display settings of my PS3 and itís not working on my TV.
    I wonder what the problem is and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this problem since my TVís warranty is almost finished and I would appreciate if I could avoid buying a new TV or paying to repair that one only because itís not under warranty anymore.

Thank you

Dessron

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Not sure but maybe your Video Output Settings are incorrect (maybe your brother or someone goofed with them as a joke?)

Settings>Display Settings>Video Output Settings

Are you using the HDMI cables to connect to your brother's PC Monitor?

Lvl 4 - Silver

I had the same problem a while ago with my old HDTV. Try holding down the power button while turning on the console until it beeps 3 times, it will reset the display settings. Hopefully that should solve the issue.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I've tried both reseting by holding the power button and I even got the settings to be exactly as my brother's PS3 settings (that works on my TV) but still nothing. I've tried my PS3 on another TV but it doesn't work on that TV either (still works on both PC screens). I still have a warranty so I'm gonna take it back to my shop to see if they can do something with it.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Sorry to say this but it's your ps3. I have the same problem as you. The thing that is not working is the port of your ps3, it may be too dusty and no longer works. Everything else worked with my ps3 except the HDMI so I thought it was just the cable but when I tested my cable with other ps3s it worked fine. Until I realized it was my ps3 at fault. So what I did is I went out and bought some component cables and I was able to see HD again from my ps3. I recommend you test your HDMI cable on other devices like a cable box which I also did. If you still have warranty on your ps3 go get it fixed. I have a phatty for more than three years.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ihulk5 View Post
    Sorry to say this but it's your ps3. I have the same problem as you. The thing that is not working is the port of your ps3, it may be too dusty and no longer works. Everything else worked with my ps3 except the HDMI so I thought it was just the cable but when I tested my cable with other ps3s it worked fine. Until I realized it was my ps3 at fault. So what I did is I went out and bought some component cables and I was able to see HD again from my ps3. I recommend you test your HDMI cable on other devices like a cable box which I also did. If you still have warranty on your ps3 go get it fixed. I have a phatty for more than three years.
    I'm pretty sure that his PS3 is working via HDMI on 2 different PC monitors.

MK Plat = Overrated

Yea, it does sound like your PS3. Try different settings when you hook it up to the computer monitor then test on the TV. I've had a similar problem but it ended up being the HDMI cable. For some reason the PS3 didn't want to broadcast the signal through an HDMI without those little magnet rounds that are at each end. My HDMI cable worked with other devises though.

MK Plat = Overrated

Double post! I was thinking, it may also be the HDCP settings on your TV. It's possible somebody accidentally changed them. Make sure all settings on both your PS3 and your TV are in sync.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ihulk5 View Post

Just wondering, do you not need HDMI cable to see HD? So if it does not work how can you get HD with other cables?
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I brought my PS3 back at my retail store but before sending it to repair, we tried it on a 40' Samsung TV and everything was fine so there was no need to send it on repair. Then, I tried it on my friend's 32' Emerson TV and it wasn't working. So I tried it on 4 TVs now: 1 40' 1080p TV (Samsung), and 3 32' 720p TVs (Samsung, Toshiba and Emerson). I wonder now if the problem could somehow be limited to 32' TVs or even to the 720p resolution (with 1080p still working properly)?. I've also tried formatting the PS3 using the Recovery mode as well as reinstalling the firmware and still nothing on my TV.

Chuck Norris Approved.

That is odd, is was thinking maybe your tv input had been changed ie from hdmi1 to say hdmi2. However it seem's you tried that and other tv's so I have no idea.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Well id say try turning it on with the cable in then reset the thing, that should do it sometimes you have to do it a 3rd time but it should detect it and ask you if you want to use it say yes then yes again when it tests the resolution et voila have to do that every time i turn off the tv before the ps3 hope it helps

Lvl 7 - Gold

I've had the same exact problem, it won't matter if you do the 2 beep trick. Don't worry, nothing is broken. Everything is in working condition. Now unplug everything from your PS3. The power cord, HDMI, AV, everything. Turn off your TV and unplug that. Wait about 10 minutes, go make something to eat, then come back and then plug in your TV, then plug all your stuff into your Playstation. After that, MAKE SURE YOU ONLY HAVE 1 VIDEO PLUG, don't put an HDMI Cable & Composite Cables into it, if you have a Turtle Beach Headset or something, so use only your HDMI Cable, then do the 2 beep thing, it should work. After that, go ahead and plug in any additional plugs for your headset, charger for your controller, etc.

Hopefully this helped, because this happened to me, and I threw a huge fit.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Pretty much what the guy above said, if not just use the scart and the ps3 should auto pick it up and come up on screen asking if you can see it, select yes then swap to hdmi and the same should happen and change settings to that?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

@iToxicityHD I've tried your method and still nothing on my screen. I unplugged everything, let it rest for 10 minutes and tried the 2 beep thing and it still don't work. I have a question though: Do I have to unplug everything from both the PS3 and the TV?

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dessron View Post
    @iToxicityHD I've tried your method and still nothing on my screen. I unplugged everything, let it rest for 10 minutes and tried the 2 beep thing and it still don't work. I have a question though: Do I have to unplug everything from both the PS3 and the TV?
    That's what I did, I unplugged every cable from the PS3 and just the power cord of the TV. (The one attached to the wall unit.)
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Lvl 9 - Gold

What kind of cables did you run for the monitors? DVI to HDMI? If so, then a reset should work.... If not, maybe your HDMI is shot then. Try a different tv too to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    Just wondering, do you not need HDMI cable to see HD? So if it does not work how can you get HD with other cables?
    Component cables will run HD. You don't need HDMI.

Zip Zop, Zoobity Bop!

Having that Microsoft garbage system is the problem most definitely...

PRO Member

I don't know if this helps but I had the same problem hooking up my xbox360 in the living room so my girlfriend would stop nagging me about not being able to watch netflix in the living room. I tried hooking up via hdmi directly to the Sony Bravia TV (an older model) and it said "invalid signal" The hdmi was "monster" brand. Then when I used a "rocketfish" hdmi, it worked like a charm. My ps3 doesn't have that problem with the same hdmi and same hdtv, but it seems like for some really whacky reason, certain TV's will only accept signals from certain consoles via certain hdmi cords. Not sure why cuz all hdmi cords are pretty much the same. Since it works on your brothers PS3 to YOUR TV I would imagine something is wonky in your PS3, just by process of elimination. Based on my experience with my problem, id suggest first doing a factory reset on the PS3, and if that doesn't fix it then try experimenting with different brands of hdmi cords. As dumb as that sounds its what worked for me honestly like 4 hours ago I just had this issue and switching the hdmi cord fixed it. If all else fails, you can always grin and bear an analog signal with component. It's still 1080p but looks better at 1080i tho IMO cuz it gets fuzzy at 1080p for me.
    Steaming pile of helpful tips

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFox View Post
    I had the same problem a while ago with my old HDTV. Try holding down the power button while turning on the console until it beeps 3 times, it will reset the display settings. Hopefully that should solve the issue.

I just switched to HD a few months ago. I'm sure this will help if I have a problem in the future

Sig by Smashguy