HDD upgrade, not sure if it is suitable..

This is a discussion on HDD upgrade, not sure if it is suitable.. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I was thinking about upgrading my HDD as I'm only on a 60gb and have roughly 10gb left... I ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

HDD upgrade, not sure if it is suitable..

So I was thinking about upgrading my HDD as I'm only on a 60gb and have roughly 10gb left... I found this

on ebay. I was wondering if this would even be suitable? If not, should I just stick to a 500gb Western Digital (or something similar)?

...or should I backup all my stuff, and sell my 60gb and get a slim...

Cheers
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 6 - Silver

sorry to bump this guys but i could do with some help on the matter, especially as to if i should just back up and upgrade to a slim... cheers
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    [

PRO Member

Unless your PS3 is on its way out anyway, there's absolutely no need to sell up and get a slim just for more HDD space, that's exactly what they want you to do!

Instead, pick up a Laptop SATA HDD of whatever size you want, and find yourself a youtube video (There's hundreds, probably thousands) of how to install it.

It's as simple as that, and it's the easiest option. And I think the prices have gone down a fair bit now too. I've got a 320gb one that I've never filled (My PS3's have the tendency to die after twelve months, good thing I've got a good insurance policy!) and unless you're using it for videos etc. or you buy all of your games off the PS Store, anything over 320gb or so should do you fine

Backing it up, you'll need an external hardrive of atleast 60gb in size (As your current HDD is 60gb, right?) that's formatted to fat32 (also easy to do and you can find out how with a youtube video) and from what I can remember, it backs up all of your important stuff, accounts etc. Im not sure if downloads from the store also backup, can't remember for the life of me.

But you wont lose anything information, infact if memory serves me correct, it was like playing on the exact same playstation when I originally did it.

It's also worth backing up your save date to either/both the PS+ cloud (12 for 3 months of secure save data, cant complain really) or memory stick just incase. You can never be too sure

- So just to recap, you want a SATA HDD, the same type that's used in a laptop
    - Backing it up is easy to do, but you will need something that's atleast 60gb in size to back it up onto
    - You will not lose any important data or save files
    - It's a lot cheaper than buying a new PS3

If there's anything else just ask

Lvl 6 - Silver

Awesome answer, thanks man, appreciate that. (+rep)
    The only thing I'm worried about is getting the YLOD, because I've heard that the 60gb (well, all the original models) are more susceptible to it, and I know it will happen just before I get chance to back it up lol. Thanks again man
    [

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    So I was thinking about upgrading my HDD as I'm only on a 60gb and have roughly 10gb left... I found this

on ebay. I was wondering if this would even be suitable? If not, should I just stick to a 500gb Western Digital (or something similar)?

...or should I backup all my stuff, and sell my 60gb and get a slim...

Cheers
    ^ This is not even a HDD... its an 4 USB port extensenion, this thing goes under your PS3 just to add 4 more USB ports, but if you have a 60GB than you don't need this since you already have 4 USBs.... You need a 2.5" SATA drive, I put in a 500GB one a couple years ago cost me $80, so i'm sure they've gone down in price now

Lvl 6 - Silver

According to the product description it takes it up to 1000gb unless i'm reading it wrong... i will have a look for a hard drive then as you're both recommending it, thanks for the replies people
    [

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I have 160 GB built in memory so I don't need to waste my money.. Btw, that doesnt upgrade you HDD it just adds more USB ports.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Any 5400RPM 2.5 inch SATA hard drive will be fine.

I only recommend a 5400RPM because it's a PHAT ps3 and those tend to run much hotter than the slims. Even though 7200RPM satas today run at the same temperature, if not cooler, than 5400RPM drives from 2007-2008, I would still be wary.

Lvl 6 - Silver

cool, thanks guys. + rep to you all.
    [