Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Valve Fans begin Operλtion Crowbar - Send Crowbars to valve to let them know we care about half life

This is a discussion on Valve Fans begin Operλtion Crowbar - Send Crowbars to valve to let them know we care about half life within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; First one was pretty good for it's time, but didn't care for HL2. So, I'm in no rush for it....

Lvl 9 - Gold

First one was pretty good for it's time, but didn't care for HL2. So, I'm in no rush for it.

Player Hater

Rushed games generally = shit. Valve has yet to make what one would refer to as a shit game. I honestly don't understand how attempting to push the developer into releasing a product quicker is at all a good idea. Look at Duke Nukem: Forever as evidence of this. All it needed was another 4 or 5 years in development and it would have been a more polished turd. But no... 12 years is too long, the fans said. We have waited long enough, they cried. Forever is right, they cracked! Enjoy your long-awaited epic, my friends!
    inb4 waiting half my life puns

Crocodile Hunter

hahahaha this is good, if i gave 2 shits about steam/valve or any PC related crap i would play my part

Sig by Apokolypz

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    hahahaha this is good, if i gave 2 shits about steam/valve or any PC related crap i would play my part
    you should

valve is like one of the last good game devs besides the surge of indie devs.

bioware turned to shit, Activision is pure money, EA Abandons it's fanbase when it acquires enough love from it from time to time, Ubisoft hates the community fanbase that helped it on top, Square enix hates everyone, Capcom hates anything that gives them money and dlc's the shit out of everything. don't get me started on sony with the nickel dime fest it has on every new game (pre-order this game get a character everyone wants free, also here's some 5$ dlc packs that do absolutely nothing but give your character skins from other games we make.)

80s-90s game dev behavior is pretty much dead in todays world thanks to gaming hitting mainstream status (call of duty for example, once a brilliant FPS series ruined when activision forced infinity ward to make MW2 and then proceeded to nickel and dime customers 15$ apiece with shitty maps, all downhill from there.),

the only good companies i know are valve, possibly id software, rockstar, and the indie devs (which get bought by big companies then get ruined.)

anyone else i didn't mention either i forgot to add to the list of why they suck or i have a neutral feeling to them.
    Last edited by Ps360; 01-08-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Then go spam somewhere else .

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    Look at Duke Nukem: Forever as evidence of this. All it needed was another 4 or 5 years in development and it would have been a more polished turd. But no... 12 years is too long, the fans said. We have waited long enough, they cried. Forever is right, they cracked! Enjoy your long-awaited epic, my friends!
    inb4 waiting half my life puns
    I don't really think the people cared about DK:F anymore t be honest. As far as I know, Gearbox simply decided to pick up where the last dev left and finish the product, without caring about finishing it in a month or in a year.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Player Hater

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

bioware turned to shit, Activision is pure money, EA Abandons it's fanbase when it acquires enough love from it from time to time, Ubisoft hates the community fanbase that helped it on top, Square enix hates everyone, Capcom hates anything that gives them money and dlc's the shit out of everything. don't get me started on sony with the nickel dime fest it has on every new game (pre-order this game get a character everyone wants free, also here's some 5$ dlc packs that do absolutely nothing but give your character skins from other games we make.)
    By the sounds of it, the game industry is nothing but a hate-machine. People get too worked up about shit. It's just games! Fun! Leisure! I look at your sig...

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

...and I think that's the stuff paranoia-fueled nightmares are made of. What if someone wants to deny you information simply because they want their privacy? I know it is meant to propagate the idea of 'hey, hax r c00l and shit' and 'fuck you, authority', but I just can not get past the fact that we are customers of these companies, not slaves. We are not being forced to buy their products, we are not being forced to live by their rules. I mean, shit, playing games was something people once did for fun, after all, and not something I have ever done with a sense of entitlement. If Activi$ion and ŁA wanna fuck over their customers, it's their right to do what they want. No one is forcing you to buy their games.

Anyway... Who wants to join me in sending monkey faeces to Crytek? I want them to release another Timesplitters already.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    I look at your sig...

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

...and I think that's the stuff paranoia-fueled nightmares are made of. What if someone wants to deny you information simply because they want their privacy? I know it is meant to propagate the idea of 'hey, hax r c00l and shit' and 'fuck you, authority', but I just can not get past the fact that we are customers of these companies, not slaves.

fun fact that quote came from a awesome game, alpha centauri.

full of awesome quotes:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sid_Mei...Alpha_Centauri

too bad rumors say ea is planning to fucking ruin it all, unless they get firaxis to work on it again (which is impossible because i think they are owned by 2k games.)

Anyway... Who wants to join me in sending monkey faeces to Crytek? I want them to release another Timesplitters already.

fun fact i never touched a timesplitters game ever.

ever. not a single demo, not even a display box.

so i don't know the massive appeal behind it at all

but i hear crytek keeps putting up that it's making the game and showing it at e3 then shortly shooting it down within the past 6 months, repeatedly.

Threat

you should

80s-90s game dev behavior is pretty much dead in todays world thanks to gaming hitting mainstream status (call of duty for example, once a brilliant FPS series ruined when activision forced infinity ward to make MW2 and then proceeded to nickel and dime customers 15$ apiece with shitty maps, all downhill from there.), except valve, possibly id software, rockstar, and the indie devs (which get bought by big companies then get ruined.)

anyone else i didn't mention either i forgot to add to the list of why they suck or i have a neutral feeling to them.
    Rockstar and Netherrealm Studios are also some of the few good game devs left, most are just money-grubbing.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Player Hater

fun fact that quote came from a awesome game, alpha centauri.

full of awesome quotes:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - Wikiquote
    I did not know that, but I like that fact.

You missed out on what I think is the best pure FPS made. Timesplitters 2 was just unapologetic, unadulterated fun. As addictive as any game I've ever played, and this was before online multiplayer started dominating the FPS scene.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I agree and reinforce what DJ just said. It's probably one of the best FPS'ers ever created. But I understand how you feel.

PRO Member

the only good companies i know are valve, possibly id software, rockstar, and the indie devs (which get bought by big companies then get ruined.) [...]
    This is why I have difficulty respective your views on game development. Possibly id software/Rockstar good? But EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc are bad developers?

First off, outside of Bioware... Everyone you mentioned in the first paragraph is a PUBLISHER, not a DEVELOPER. Even Capcom and SqEnix PUBLISH more games than they DEVELOP. Their job isn't to make games, its to fund them and distribute them.

There is a huge difference, philosophically speaking their purpose is completely independent the actual content, its about the existence of it. No different than how a magazine or web-host doesn't care about what occupies the space. Their job isn't to fill that space, its to get what has filled that space out to people who care about it and to ensure that whatever needs to be done to keep the space filled is done.

Its like me saying "Well, there are no great writers/filmmakers anymore... Have you seen what Little, Brown and Company/Paramount Pictures are putting out?"

It doesn't make sense, from a critical standpoint how is my disdain for someone who isn't producing content justification for the content producers no longer being quality?

Whats more is, going back to Rockstar and id, you are including two parties who are among the worst offenders when it comes to the exact stuff for which you confuse EA/Activision as producing.

id will release any piece of garbage under Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake so long as it makes money, and they will pedal out giant tech demos to the public... Admitting after the fact that its an inferior product due to poor design choices (you, yourself, posted Carmack saying this). Not to mention John Carmack is just a less popular, gaming-industry version of Steve Jobs.

Rockstar? You mean the company that hasn't innovated a gameplay element since last generation? (Don't give me LA Noire, that wasn't Rockstar's gig... They were EA in that equation) You mean the company who, this generation, has basically just made GTA games and ripped off other people's ideas for garbage like Midnight Club?

How can you justify them being so great, but no mention of someone like Relic? Or fuck what about Epic or Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch? They've done more than Rockstar this generation in regards to pushing gaming forward even though they both have basically one IP to their credit this generation (as developers)... Where are some of the "pseudo-indie" studios like Media Molecule, From/Altus, Double Fine, etc? (you mentioned Valve, but they go in this category).

I can agree with you that the face of gaming has changed since the 90s. In some regards for the better, in others for the worse. Don't sit here and dumb down the whole forum by talking about EA and Activision in the same breath as Valve. If you wanna have a discussion about their utility in today's market, we can, but EA and Activision aren't making games.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    Rockstar and Netherrealm Studios are also some of the few good game devs left, most are just money-grubbing.
    Actually most devs aren't money-grubbing. By money-grubbing I assume you are implying the preoccupation with money rather than just the fact that they make money being a developer for the purposes of existing (food, shelter, bettering their family, comfortable living, etc).

Again, don't confuse publisher with developer.

The developer has made most, if not all, of their money BEFORE A GAME HITS THE MARKET, but like any other designer, artist, or engineer their life is results driven.

Meaning they get paid for the next game if, and only if, their previous games are good.

Developers aren't dumb, they know what we want as gamers... Most of them are hardcore gamers themselves and when they aren't working 50-60 hour work weeks they spend alot of time doing the same things we do on this forum. The development community is comprised of the same diversity we see in gaming as well, you have your CoD/CS/FPS-freaks, you have your artsy/pretentious types, you have your tinkerers, etc, etc.

These people all want to make good games because making good games is their livelihood, and they don't want to make the same thing over and over and over again for the same reason you would get bored at your job doing the same thing over and over and over again.

Publishers, on the other hand, are all statisticians and marketing people. They don't care so much about content, they are paying developers to make the games (or buying the rights to distribute them in the case of indies) in the hopes that they can make money off of getting that game out in the right people's hands.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    How can you justify them being so great, but no mention of someone like Relic? Or fuck what about Epic or Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch? They've done more than Rockstar this generation in regards to pushing gaming forward even though they both have basically one IP to their credit this generation (as developers)... Where are some of the "pseudo-indie" studios like Media Molecule, From/Altus, Double Fine, etc? (you mentioned Valve, but they go in this category).
    relic, atlus, and doublefine are companies i forgot to list as good.

MediaMolecule only made one Good IP, so i am neutral about them. till they start making more good ip's they will be on my good side.

sucker punch is also neutral. their platforming games are good to ok. sly cooper is the only good ps2 game i remember playing

epic games is bad. very bad. they made gears of war skins that cost all together 40$ to buy, they ruined unreal tournament, they are on my bad list for such a atrocity.

capcom is a developer and a publisher, just like EA and activision is. They all do terrible things.
    Last edited by Ps360; 01-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12