Dust 514: What will you be fighting for in-game?

This is a discussion on Dust 514: What will you be fighting for in-game? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; DUST 514 base: What will I be fighting for in DUST 514? One of the most important questions, definitely. So ...

INTJ

Dust 514: What will you be fighting for in-game?

DUST 514 base: What will I be fighting for in DUST 514?

One of the most important questions, definitely. So what DUST players will have from the capturing all those territories and controlling them until enemy decides to attack again?

In EVE, we have something called "Planetary Interaction", which is pretty much "strategy" part of the game. In this feature you decide to deploy planetary structures, gather resources from planets and then work with those resources further and in the end make a bunch of ISK and create various things for your corporation and alliance. So how does it all look from EVE perspective?

Here is small tutorial that introduces a player to a Planetary Interactions so you can get the bigger picture:

As you can see, EVE players already have ability to interact with planets and make use of them very effectively. So what DUST players will be needed for if this can be managed on it's own as it is? Well, all these territories where EVE Player built his structures are pretty much his own now, and in DUST we expect a bit more structured territory layout (something like bunch of hexagons, as shown in E3 Trailer maybe), so you know exactly who controls what at any given time. Those parts of the planet then can be used to deploy structures by both DUST and EVE players and make bunch of ISK for future upgrades, vehicles and bigger arsenal that will lead them into Lowsec and Nullsec where real money is made all the time, but has a lot more risk involved.

With Crucible, EVE received two new filter options in the overview settings under a new category: Planetary Interaction. They are Capsuleer base and Mercenary base, which directly indicate that you will be able to view how many Mercenary bases are there - from space. We don't know though how that is going to work until CCP drops the beta on us, and we see it for ourselves. You just can be sure that we will cover all those details as soon as we get in and have NDA lifted.

I have to also mention that you should not expect all these Planetary Interaction things that you see in EVE to translate directly to DUST, but instead the video should give you idea how resource gathering and planet control should work and what you get from it. Very often you will need specific planet for a specific resources in order to make something different or more powerful. It is not all about ISK and who is the richest, but it is combination of good investments and good training for those investments that you put to use when the time is right.

You will want to cooperate with EVE players to get the most out of your controlled planets, and if your corporation controls both the system and all the planets in it, you will definitely see what benefits that brings to both EVE and DUST side. Of course, you can also decide not to have EVE players in your corporation and be mercenary corporation which gets ISK by finishing the job that EVE or other DUST corp asked you to do. I strongly believe that "Guns for hire" will be one of the most interesting corp types out there.

Hopefully you got a little bit brighter picture now. You capture a territory that yields specific resources. Resources turn into money or get refined and then transformed into a materials that can be sold or be used into making different weapons, vehicles or dropsuits, and in the end you can decide to use those produced items or sell them to other corporations via market. You can also decide to be hired and not care about who controls which planet as long as you get ISK and get out of there alive with accomplished mission.

There are many more options that you can do in order to make ISK, but this to my eyes is "default" or "normal" version that I think CCP has in mind. Although, that is CCP, and words like default and normal don't really get used that much in their vocabulary. They are bringing entire new genre to the market - do you really think they are sane!?

Brace yourselves. Beta winter is coming.

Kiwi Defender

The game sounds more and more interesting as the news keep coming. I really hope it doesn't flop or disappoint, since that'd be a very huge disappointment.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

The only sane person here

All I hope is that I get in on the beta and try it out for myself

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    The game sounds more and more interesting as the news keep coming. I really hope it doesn't flop or disappoint, since that'd be a very huge disappointment.
    That's what she said!

I just watched the video and I'm not sure tbh

Sig by Smashguy