Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hirai Says No PS4 Announcement at E3

This is a discussion on Hirai Says No PS4 Announcement at E3 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Looks like that puts those rumors to rest. They probably had to do this so the stock wouldn't tank in ...

Indie Game Developer

Hirai Says No PS4 Announcement at E3

Looks like that puts those rumors to rest. They probably had to do this so the stock wouldn't tank in June when nothing was said about PS4 at E3.

Despite a spate of recent industry rumors claiming the next generation of home consoles could be unveiled as soon as this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in June, some publishers have begun to set the record straight.

No PS4 at this year's E3 expo in June, says Sony.

During a roundtable with reporters at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas today, and as reported by the Wall Street Journal, Sony consumer products head Kaz Hirai told reporters that Sony is "not talking about a new home console now" and that the publisher doesn't plan to do so at E3.

The report also states that during the roundtable, Hirai said Sony has always viewed the PlayStation 3 as a product with a 10-year life cycle, and he sees no reason "to rush to replace it with a new system."

"Andy [House, Sony Computer Entertainment president and chief executive] is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3," Hirai said during the roundtable.

Last September, a source present at a "high level" meeting at Sony told Bitmob that the PlayStation 4 was due in early 2013; the following month, a Develop report suggested Sony was just entering the early development stage of PlayStation 4 software.
    Source: Sony Doesn't Plan To Unveil A New PlayStation At Key Trade Show - WSJ.com
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Twitch.tv/liljayr4

thank you for comfirming this..ps3 is good where its at .

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm glad I still think there is alot the ps3 has to offer and plus I won't be able to afford a ps4 now XD

The only sane person here

Good it's too early for a PS4. I'm happy with my PS3.

Nope, nothing

Oh what a surprise lol, no PS4 at E3 this year

Thanks for clearing this up.

The One and Only

Dammit, I was really looking forward to getting a PS4 Slim in three years

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I hope sony move away from the name ps4 or playstation 4, they need to get more creative like for example the Sony Evolve or Playstation Evolve. Anybody else got any ideas for a new name?

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by TRU-GAM3R View Post
    I hope sony move away from the name ps4 or playstation 4, they need to get more creative like for example the Sony Evolve or Playstation Evolve. Anybody else got any ideas for a new name?
    Nope it is branding and changing the name would be a terrible idea.

Why do you think Nintendo called their new systems Wii-U and 3DS because while you and I know they are Nintendo systems most of the soccer moms out there just know DS and Wii and have no idea who made them.

If Sony went Playstation, PS2, PS3 then Playstation Universe a lot of people would have no idea what it was.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

i knew this will happen the ps4 announcement is too soon maybe 2013
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Up the Irons!

I'm a bit glad to hear this. I was looking forward to seeing the "future," but at the same time I'm glad because I don't want to give up my PS3 just yet.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by TRU-GAM3R View Post
    No, just no. PlayStation doesn't need to change up the formula by mixing up the names. I hate when consoles come up with ridiculous follow up names, or go into multiplication tables of it's previous installment, just stick with the numbered titles and don't mess up something that isn't broken.

---

This could be very bad news, if Microsoft does end up announcing a new console at E3. Sony was the last out of the gate last time, and have been playing catch up with the consumer base ever since.

Sony has always been ahead of the curve in offering the technically superior machine since the PlayStation 2, but most consumers don't want to wait, and are impatient and are not going to wait an additional 3 months for a console, much less a year like the PlayStation 3 had behind the 360. If Sony does this again, it risks losing even more of the "single console" or "family console" fan base to it's competitors.

We'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised that as a "Plan B" for the company, that they are prepared to announce the PlayStation 4 at the Tokyo Gaming Show in September if Microsoft announces their next console at E3 in June - because I can't see them repeating the mistakes of this generation again.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 7 - Gold

That's fine by me, and a giant load off my back, I didn't need a new Playstation yet. I somewhat figured it wouldn't show because there are still games coming out on the PS3 in late 2013, so if there are still games coming out in that year, I think they will show it as early as 2014 E3. That's what I hope will happen.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Yankees And Packers <3

thank you sony

O_o

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightSparkle View Post
    This, very much so.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    No, just no. PlayStation doesn't need to change up the formula by mixing up the names. I hate when consoles come up with ridiculous follow up names, or go into multiplication tables of it's previous installment, just stick with the numbered titles and don't mess up something that isn't broken.

---

This could be very bad news, if Microsoft does end up announcing a new console at E3. Sony was the last out of the gate last time, and have been playing catch up with the consumer base ever since.

Sony has always been ahead of the curve in offering the technically superior machine since the PlayStation 2, but most consumers don't want to wait, and are impatient and are not going to wait an additional 3 months for a console, much less a year like the PlayStation 3 had behind the 360. If Sony does this again, it risks losing even more of the "single console" or "family console" fan base to it's competitors.

We'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised that as a "Plan B" for the company, that they are prepared to announce the PlayStation 4 at the Tokyo Gaming Show in September if Microsoft announces their next console at E3 in June - because I can't see them repeating the mistakes of this generation again.
    Very true. However, it depends on what Microsoft brings to the table. I'm not sure what they can add to make the Xbox better that PS3 doesn't already have.

I'm happy with the PS3 and would hate to see PS4 rushed out with barely any improvements.
    Last edited by Silent Assassin; 01-11-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I just want more games, thatīs it.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

PRO Member

Basically what Rubi said...

I know you all like the PS3, but the PS4 is not going to kill the PS3. TIME is going to kill the PS3. Sony has to be ready for the next generation to come, otherwise this generation will be their last in the industry.

Not like anybody is forcing you to buy the PS4, and the PS3 will continue to live on much like the PS2 still does.

You can't just pull something like the PS4 out of your ass, Sony has to be ready to go to atleast meet MSoft's announcement of the next Xbox. Yeah, that doesn't mean Sony has to unveil the PS4 at E3 if MSoft unveils the 720, but Sony should be ready for it and ready to bring the PS4 out for the public reveal soon after.

Sony is just not going to survive a year lapse again.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Very true. However, it depends on what Microsoft brings to the table. I'm not sure what they can add to make the Xbox better than PS3 doesn't already have have.

I'm happy with the PS3 and would hate to see PS4 rushed out with barely any improvements.
    Um, the PS3 isn't that advanced. Yeah, the CELL is really cool and good engineers can do some very clever and amazing things with this chip.

The system isn't that powerful though, and we are getting to a point now where PC games are (once again) a big leap ahead of consoles in terms of graphical capability. The PS3 doesn't have a phenomenal GPU and doesn't have much RAM compared to a current PC. Also, while the BD drive is pretty good it lags behind what I can get on a PC.

Something will have to be done soon, otherwise we will start seeing a divide among PC and Console devs, and a reduction of games on both sides of the fence simply because of the cost of dumbing down your game for a port.

Its the same reason why many PS3/360/PC devs don't port to the Wii.

Now I'm not saying we are there yet, but if Sony waits for several more years... By that point in time the PS3 will be so laughably far behind we won't get shit for games.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Hack the Planet!!

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightSparkle View Post
    I totally agree. What kind of major upgrades could be made at this time to justify a $600-$800 (n thats prolly to low) purchase.

Lvl 7 - Gold

people need to stop starting all these rumors

Regional Manager of War

I was kind of hoping for some Ps4 news, even though I won't buy one until a slim version is released.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast