View Poll Results: Best Fighting Game Franchise?!

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mortal Kombat

12 30.77%
  • Street Fighter

7 17.95%
  • Tekken

14 35.90%
  • Does it really matter? I play them all anyway!

6 15.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Best Fighting Game Franchise?

This is a discussion on Best Fighting Game Franchise? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Mortal Kombat, would have said Tekken but don't like it as much anymore....

Local Drunk

Mortal Kombat, would have said Tekken but don't like it as much anymore.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Despite the fact that there should be a lot more titles...

I would have to go with Street Fighter, being that if it wasn't for the success of that title I am not sure there fighter would have made such a dramatic impact on the fighting game landscape. Do you think Midway would have made Mortal Kombat without Street Fighter II's success? or the SNK series of fighters, including the blatant rip-off World Heroes?

Street Fighter also made the Arcade resurgence of the 90's and prolonged it's life span by another 10 years by allowing the "fighter" genre to bring fans to pop in their quarters again. Not to mention the countless spin-offs from the Alpha/Zero, EX, vs, and Rival Schools series, all of which brought enough tweaks to the table to either please old fans, or bring in new fans who were looking for something different.

When the time comes that video game's get cataloged in the history books or archivist records, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II will probably be the only two fighting titles with significant enough of an impact to be mentioned; Mortal Kombat for being the catalyst for a rating system and parental control in the industry, and Street Fighter II for being the success that created the mainstream appeal to the genre. So it wouldn't be an understatement to say that Street Fighter II is not only a great game, but one of the 10 most important games of all-time.

Despite all the historical and industry impacts that Street Fighter and particularly Street Fighter II have made, the series and it's spin-offs still are making quality titles that impact the genre, and are still relevant today. It's pretty poignant stuff when people who haven't played a game in 15 years can still recognize that the sound of a "hadoken" means a fireball, and that those "yah yah yah" noises are coming from Chun Li, to this day.

To me, the first thing that pops into my head when "fighting game" is mentioned, is Street Fighter. I have loved almost every title and spin-off that has come out, and it has never really left me wanting after I've played it's latest addition.

So I give it to, the spark that gave the genre it's mainstream appeal - the Street Fighter series is the best.
    Last edited by Rubicant81; 01-11-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post

I would have to go with Street Fighter, being that if it wasn't for the success of that title I am not sure there fighter would have made such a dramatic impact on the fighting game landscape. Do you think Midway would have made Mortal Kombat without Street Fighter II's success? or the SNK series of fighters, including the blatant rip-off World Heroes?

Street Fighter also made the Arcade resurgence of the 90's and prolonged it's life span by another 10 years by allowing the "fighter" genre to bring fans to pop in their quarters again. Not to mention the countless spin-offs from the Alpha/Zero, EX, vs, and Rival Schools series, all of which brought enough tweaks to the table to either please old fans, or bring in new fans who were looking for something different.

When the time comes that video game's get cataloged in the history books or archivist records, Mortal Kombatand Street Fighter II will probably be the only two fighting titles with significant enough of an impact to be mentioned; Mortal Kombat for being the catalyst for a rating system and parental control in the industry, and Street Fighter II for being the success that created the mainstream appeal to the genre. So it wouldn't be an understatement to say that Street Fighter II is not only a great game, but one of the 10 most important games of all-time.

Despite all the historical and industry impacts that Street Fighter and particularly Street Fighter II have made, the series and it's spin-offs still are making quality titles that impact the genre, and are still relevant today. It's pretty poignant stuff when people who haven't played a game in 15 years can still recognize that the sound of a "hadoken" means a fireball, and that those "yah yah yah" noises are coming from Chun Li, to this day.

To me, the first thing that pops into my head when "fighting game" is mentioned, is Street Fighter. I have loved almost every title and spin-off that has come out, and it has never really left me wanting after I've played it's latest addition.

So I give it to, the spark that gave the genre it's mainstream appeal - the Street Fighter series is the best.
    Regardless of how many rehashes Capcom has released, the fact of the matter is that Street Fighter IV in many people's opinions is the reason why the fighting genre had a resurgence. Now I don't know if I agree with this but I've read this across many forums I frequent. You can't deny that Street Fighter IV is a vital part of the FGC.

So in a way I agree that Street Fighter is one of the best but I still prefer the Verses series.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I love all these series and play them all, but I also like KOF and Blazblue

Lvl 4 - Silver

I voted Tekken but let me also say that SFII is the BEST fighting game of all time, with Tekken 3 and MK 2 rounding out the list. My rationale is that MK and SF are fantastic but they've had some missteps, most notably MK4. In my opinion Tekken has never had a misstep and the engine is more to my liking.

Also, where is Virtua Fighter on this thing?
    Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! TURN IT OFF!

Plats-O'-War!!

If a mod or an admin can edit the poll to add more fighting game choices, I would greatly appreciate it!

Platinum Procrastinator

I've always liked Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter so that's why it got my vote. However, back on the SNES, my favorite fighting game was Killer Instinct.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

The One and Only

I prefer Tekken. I don't play many fighting games at all, but I've had more experience with Tekken and enjoyed it.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Stop looking at me swan!

My vote goes to Tekken. As much as the original Mortal Kombat was my first experience in fighting games, Tekken is what brought me into playing them. I've been playing Tekken since the beginning and it's one of my favorite series of games. I think what actually brought me in was that it actually had a story, but has long since fizzled out in later installations unfortunately. Even without the story I still play.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I voted Mortal Kombat, because it brings me back to good old times....

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Damn, you didn't have to bash me about this! These were the games that stuck out to me in my mind at the time I made this. I know that there are more fighting games than the ones I've listed, but like I said, these were the ones that stood out to me.

PRO Member

I love em all cant pick

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post

When the time comes that video game's get cataloged in the history books or archivist records, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II will probably be the only two fighting titles with significant enough of an impact to be mentioned; Mortal Kombat for being the catalyst for a rating system and parental control in the industry, and Street Fighter II for being the success that created the mainstream appeal to the genre. So it wouldn't be an understatement to say that Street Fighter II is not only a great game, but one of the 10 most important games of all-time.

I couldn't have said it better myself! The Street Fighter franchise IS responsible for the fighting Game genre being what it is today. SFII reinvigorated arcades in the 90's and paved the way for other popular titles like MK, Tekken, SC, BB. And SFIV reignited the genre 2 years ago.
    But even Street Fighter owes props to another fighting game....maybe the true mother of the genre....Yie Ar Kung Fu.

PRO Ninja

Dead or Alive is the best Fighting Game Franchise ever.

check my awesome plat list if you dare: CLICK ME!

MK Plat = Overrated

You guys that like Dead or Alive just like seeing big ass boobies bouncing in ways that nature never intended. But bey, to each their own.

I also voted Street Fighter. However, Mortal Kombat is a close second. They had way too many flops to be a good series overall. Although, I do agree, there should be way more choices. Killer Instinct should come back with a new generation installment. Fatal Fury had a lot of great installments as well. Mark of the Wolves was awesome. SNK had a ton of great fighting series.

I suppose there really isn't a good way to set up a pole for such a genre. It is what it is.

The Deathly Rhythm

Wheres Dead Or Alive!!!!
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Bob 'n' Becca

Although Street Fighter was the first fighting game series I remember playing, and Mortal Kombat came not too long after that, I voted for Tekken. The gameplay is, at least for a gamer of my caliber, better than the others. Now, I do agree that Street Fighter has better characters in terms of looking cool, but Tekken's fighting mechanics are just better to me.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

You weak azz niggs

Most folks here talk about the mainstream games. Play the Virtua Fighter series. Give VF5 a try. Based on the poll, I chose I play them all

Lvl 3 - Bronze

For me it's Tekken. It was also my first game on the PS1 lol. And Hwoarang was my favourite character.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by prarpin View Post
    You guys that like Dead or Alive just like seeing big ass boobies bouncing in ways that nature never intended.
    This right here is why Dead or Alive gets the Hoffs vote

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast