Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Id Software Lays off people , Ruins Doom 4 by consolizing it.

This is a discussion on Id Software Lays off people , Ruins Doom 4 by consolizing it. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Nagflar But Crysis sucked! It was all about the graphics Arguable, you can same the same thing ...

  1. #21
    Go Blue Jackets!!
    LAWLZilla's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    302
    Reputation
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    But Crysis sucked! It was all about the graphics
    Arguable, you can same the same thing about Killzone 2&3, and the Uncharted series. Tell me with a straight face that uncharted 3 is a good game. It's a TERRIBLE game. My god haha im sorry for trolling but damn uc3 gets me fed up...

  2. #22
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If a game developer invests $30 million into creating a game, they sure as shit want to make that money back. By focusing on consoles they reduce the risk of piracy and decrease ongoing support costs.

    But you can pirate on a console too. It reaches the millions every year, just as much as PC.

    the consoles just have a really terrible audience of people that will eat anything that is thrown in front of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLZilla View Post
    Arguable, you can same the same thing about Killzone 2&3, and the Uncharted series. Tell me with a straight face that uncharted 3 is a good game. It's a TERRIBLE game. My god haha im sorry for trolling but damn uc3 gets me fed up...

    Killzone 2 And 3 Were terrible, the only reason people loved it was because of the graphics. it was just a generic FPS.

    same can be said for resistance series.

  3. #23
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    But you can pirate on a console too. It reaches the millions every year, just as much as PC.
    Ahem...

    "Crysis 2 was released in March, so it’s had plenty of time to reach the 3,920,000 downloads mark. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, released in November, was the second most pirated game, with around 3,650,000 illegal downloads. Battlefield 3 was a close third at 3,510,000 downloads. Fifa 12 took fourth place with 3,390,000 downloads. Portal 2 was fifth with 3,240,000.

    Those are some rather huge numbers, sadly, and around three times bigger than the most pirated console titles. "
    It's a problem on consoles, but not on the same scale.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    But you can pirate on a console too. It reaches the millions every year, just as much as PC.

    the consoles just have a really terrible audience of people that will eat anything that is thrown in front of them.
    And how do you back that statement up? Opinion, yet again.

    I've been a PC gamer for over 20 years but I prefer to game on PS3. That makes me stupid and a bad gamer who'll eat anything up?

  4. #24
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Ahem...

    "Crysis 2 was released in March, so it’s had plenty of time to reach the 3,920,000 downloads mark. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, released in November, was the second most pirated game, with around 3,650,000 illegal downloads. Battlefield 3 was a close third at 3,510,000 downloads. Fifa 12 took fourth place with 3,390,000 downloads. Portal 2 was fifth with 3,240,000.

    Those are some rather huge numbers, sadly, and around three times bigger than the most pirated console titles. "
    It's a problem on consoles, but not on the same scale.

    it's still a problem, moving to a diffrent platform isn't going to fix it.


    You have to make good games and provide good service to fix the problem. You notice how valve never complains about piracy yet they make amazing games for amazing bargins (also the pc is the main platform for them)?

  5. #25
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    it's still a problem, moving to a diffrent platform isn't going to fix it.


    You have to make good games and provide good service to fix the problem.
    Opinion, yet again.

    I'll restate it once again, when a developer states they'll sell 4 to 5 times more games on consoles than PC, thanks to piracy, the game is not to blame, it's the medium. And despite the larger console user base and vastly increased sales, the risk of piracy is 1/3rd that of PC.

    Logically speaking, it's a no-brainer to focus on consoles.

    Seriously PS360, you need to rethink your title, logic is not your strong point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    You notice how valve never complains about piracy yet they make amazing games for amazing bargins (also the pc is the main platform for them)?
    Valve has it's own digital distribution network to mitigate piracy, making their games cheaper is a piracy counter-measure.

    You couldn't possibly pick a worse example to make your point - Valve is the one exception to the rule by making the bulk of their money selling other people's games. They're far less vulnerable to the financial ebbs and flows associated with the majority of studios who survive on a game-to-game basis and piracy can mean the difference between making the next great game or going under.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.

  6. #26
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    HugeGremlins's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    143
    Reputation
    6

    Yeah Ps360 is just repeating the same old song of consoles ruining FPS titles, it's not entirely baseless but I blame cinema and current gaming trends more than some piece of hardware.

    What is more disturbing though is this.

    RAGE was praised for the shooter mechanics that in introduces and for the intelligence of the enemies
    Did they actually play the game? The A.I. was balls stupid.

  7. #27
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLZilla View Post
    Arguable, you can same the same thing about Killzone 2&3, and the Uncharted series. Tell me with a straight face that uncharted 3 is a good game. It's a TERRIBLE game. My god haha im sorry for trolling but damn uc3 gets me fed up...
    I actually liked Killzone 2, and even if I say Uncharted is overrated, the first two games are great, althouh I can't argue about Killzone 3 or Uncharted 3, since I haven't played them.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  8. #28
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Opinion, yet again.

    I'll restate it once again, when a developer states they'll sell 4 to 5 times more games on consoles than PC, thanks to piracy, the game is not to blame, it's the medium.

    i can list reasons why every game that reached the top 5 lists for PC got there


    Crysis 2: No Singleplayer Demo

    COD MW3: No Demo and the same exact thing as the last 2.

    Battlefield 3: No Demo

    Fifa 12: Rehashed shit for the how many times this game has been released, also no demo.

    Portal 2: No demo


    see the same problem? None of these games have demos (and if they do, it's the shitty part of the game that no one cares for.)

    people mainly pirates to see if it's good. they don't pirate it to do evil things with it.


    not to mention people who pirates actually pay more for stuff then people who don't

  9. #29
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    people mainly pirates to see if it's good.
    And my farts smell like sunshine dust.

    Every reason you've listed is your opinion. Games sell by the shit-tonne whether they have a demo or not.

    If a demo was the deal-breaker on whether or not to buy a game, then all games would have them and none of those games would be on the best-selling or best-reviewed games this year.

    Every one the games you've just listed are the games people most wanted to play this past year and pirated because they were too fucking tight to lay down some cash to buy.

  10. #30
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    were too fucking tight to lay down some cash to buy.
    so they tested the game out to see if it was worth their money instead of mindlessly paying for it?

    when there's no demo the best way to test out a game for free is to pirate


    Guess what game isn't on the list of games that were mostly pirated? Deus ex human revolution.

    It was leaked last year, having a huge 10 hour chunk on the internet free to download (Not the full game, It was only Detroit). It actually helped sales ( i bought it because of it, not just the regular edition either. the Collectors.)

    and it sold around 2.18 million copies

    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/05/de...ate-in-the-cy/

  11. #31
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    so they tested the game out to see if it was worth their money instead of mindlessly paying for it?
    You're living in a fantasy world PS360. Pirates pirate because they don't want to pay, simple as that.
    And yes, stealing is evil, if you're the biblical type.

    Your "pirates pay more for stuff" example applies to $1 downloadable MP3's, not $100 video games. If, like MP3's, games were cheaper, there's no question there'd be less piracy because it's not worth the effort.

    Getting back on track, when a game developer believes they're losing 80% of their sales potential thanks to piracy by focusing exclusively on PC, is it little wonder they're willing to sacrifice some of the bells and whistles by building games for consoles instead? Use your logic PS360...

  12. #32
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    HugeGremlins's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    143
    Reputation
    6

    There is a small but genuine group who pirate games to test them out, on PC it's important because lately they have been releasing games with all sorts of hardware issues, PC gamers really need demos.

    The majority is probably people pirating to play the game though.

  13. #33
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    You're living in a fantasy world PS360. Pirates pirate because they don't want to pay, simple as that.
    And yes, stealing is evil, if you're the biblical type.

    Your "pirates pay more for stuff" example applies to $1 downloadable MP3's, not $100 video games. If, like MP3's, games were cheaper, there's no question there'd be less piracy because it's not worth the effort.

    Getting back on track, when a game developer believes they're losing 80% of their sales potential by focusing exclusively on PC thanks to piracy, is it little wonder they're willing to sacrifice some of the bells and whistles by building games for consoles instead? Use your logic PS360...

    My logic is telling me when you don't treat customers like shit you tend to get more sales and less piracy.

    just cause 2 is another piece of proof i can use to prove piracy can be fixed by not treating customers terribly. demo came out for it, 30 minutes long (can be removed by finding a way to destroy the time limit)


    Just cause 2 was very sucessful, and it was barely pirated at all.

    Just Cause 2 Successful Sales, Just Cause 3 in Future? - UGO.com

  14. #34
    Yankees And Packers <3
    Flame808's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    475
    Reputation
    5

    odd ps360 saying consoles are terrible. Gee wonder how many times ive seen that........



  15. #35
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    There is a small but genuine group who pirate games to test them out, on PC it's important because lately they have been releasing games with all sorts of hardware issues, PC gamers really need demos.

    The majority is probably people pirating to play the game though.
    Yet another reason to focus on consoles...less variance in the hardware means faster development cycles and less ongoing support issues.

    PC gamers don't "really need a demo". If a game is distributed on a platform like Steam, you can bet it's been thoroughly tested.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    My logic is telling me when you don't treat customers like shit you tend to get more sales and less piracy.
    So logically speaking, why is Portal 2 in the top five most pirated list of 2011?

    Logic fail...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    just cause 2 is another piece of proof i can use to prove piracy can be fixed by not treating customers terribly. demo came out for it, 30 minutes long (can be removed by finding a way to destroy the time limit)

    Just cause 2 was very sucessful, and it was barely pirated at all.
    Just Cause 2 was a moderate success, selling around 1.5 million units, about the same as Your Shape featuring Jenny McCarthy on the Wii, and nowhere to be found on the 2010 top selling list - http://www.vgchartz.com/article/8338...3-psp-ds-x360/

    If it was barely pirated, it was due to lack of interest. And that's just plain bullshit - Google says different with 800,000 search results for "Just Cause 2 torrent download" (note the brackets in Google mean exact match). Pirate Bay has 61 pages of comments for Just Cause 2: Reloaded release...yep, it's just impossible to torrent the game, everyone bought it instead.

    The demo which as you pointed out, could be hacked, did help to sell an unknown entity on the back of a mediocre first game, but it's not the huge success nor poster-boy for "good customer service beats piracy" you make it out to be.

    Just Cause 2 Successful Sales, Just Cause 3 in Future? - UGO.com
    Where does it state that a hackable demo and low piracy rates contributed to the sales success of Just Cause 2?

    Reference fail...
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-13-2012 at 06:44 PM.

  16. #36
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    HugeGremlins's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    143
    Reputation
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Flame808 View Post
    odd ps360 saying consoles are terrible. Gee wonder how many times ive seen that........

    Well according to his sig he has been playing Uncharted 3 and Black ops on his PS3 so they can't be that bad.

  17. #37
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    So logically speaking, why is Portal 2 in the top five most pirated list of 2011?

    Logic fail...

    There was no demo

    Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    Well according to his sig he has been playing Uncharted 3 and Black ops on his PS3 so they can't be that bad.
    i played UC3 and A friend played Black ops and MW2 on my account

  18. #38
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    There was no demo
    But your beloved Valve has a fantastic track record for customer support. Logically speaking, based on your argument, brand loyalty would have been enough to ensure Portal 2 had low piracy rates.

    Logic fail x 2...

    Whether customers like the developers or not has little to no impact on game sales. I give you Activision, the most hated game publisher in the known universe, yet they continue to smash sales records in the billions of dollars year over year.

    Certainly, there's a percentage of pirates who want to "stick it to the man" and others who choose simply to boycott Activision games, but the majority of pirates just want to play the game and not pay for it.

    That is why Portal 2 is in the top 5 most pirated games for 2011, not because it doesn't have a demo...
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-12-2012 at 07:14 PM.

  19. #39
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    HugeGremlins's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    143
    Reputation
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    PC gamers don't "really need a demo". If a game is distributed on a platform like Steam, you can bet it's been thoroughly tested.
    Lol hell no! You would hope it was true but last year was bad for PC releases.

    RAGE was unplayable for ATI users I think
    Dead Island even after releasing the proper version had lots of hitching issues with some machines
    Deus Ex HR had terrible hitching on certain PCs (my own ) the forums were full of people demanding a patch
    Battlefield 3 has had some issues too, some people have to downclock their cards in order to run it
    Red Orchestra 2 needs much higher system requirements than it states, and even then it was causing issues on powerful machines

    You really need to test the games out to make sure they run on your hardware combo, most people are fine but no one likes to waste $50

    Piracy doesn't have to be the solution, release demos again

  20. #40
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    Lol hell no! You would hope it was true but last year was bad for PC releases.

    RAGE was unplayable for ATI users I think
    Dead Island even after releasing the proper version had lots of hitching issues with some machines
    Deus Ex HR had terrible hitching on certain PCs (my own ) the forums were full of people demanding a patch
    Battlefield 3 has had some issues too, some people have to downclock their cards in order to run it
    Red Orchestra 2 needs much higher system requirements than it states, and even then it was causing issues on powerful machines

    You really need to test the games out to make sure they run on your hardware combo, most people are fine but no one likes to waste $50

    Piracy doesn't have to be the solution, release demos again
    You're simply reinforcing my argument as to why game developers focus on consoles...look at the headaches caused by the vast array of different PC configurations.

    I had massive issues getting many PC games to run on my Quad GPU, dual-SLi rig and the problem was solved by reinstalling Windows and removing one of the two monitors. How's a game developer supposed to account for my specific hardware and software configuration?

    A demo is not sufficient to determine whether or not a PC is compatible with a full game, nor is a beta. It's only when a game is released to market that a developer knows if the game works for everyone, and if it doesn't, it costs them more time and money to fix.

    On that basis, I can understand a percentage of piracy for 'legitimate' reasons, but it's a very small piece of a very large pie.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO