Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Id Software Lays off people , Ruins Doom 4 by consolizing it.

This is a discussion on Id Software Lays off people , Ruins Doom 4 by consolizing it. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; id Software Lays Off Staff, Doom 4 Development Unaffected - Softpedia id Software has confirmed that it has laid off ...

INTJ

Id Software Lays off people , Ruins Doom 4 by consolizing it.

id Software Lays Off Staff, Doom 4 Development Unaffected - Softpedia

id Software has confirmed that it has laid off a number of employees recently, although it refused to say exactly how many people were let go.

Bethesda, the parent company of id Software, has said that the development process for the upcoming Doom 4 was not affected and that the restructuring process was not in any way linked to the sales performance of RAGE, the post apocalyptic shooter that the company created and launched during October.

Pete Hines, who is the vice president of marketing and public relations at Bethesda, has stated, “As part of its standard business practice, id regularly evaluates staffing to ensure it has a workforce that meets the needs of the studio. As part of that process, some id employees were recently let go.”

Bethesda added, “id regularly evaluates staffing to ensure it has a workforce that meets the needs of the studio. As part of that process, some id employees were recently let go.”

It seems that despite the lay-offs id Software is continuing to look for talented developers who can help the team create the best game possible in the future.

RAGE has been the first original intellectual property for id Software in quite some time and represented the debut of a new graphics engine.

The pre-launch hype for the game meant that the bar had been set very high and the real life product failed to meet all expectations.

RAGE was praised for the shooter mechanics that in introduces and for the intelligence of the enemies but the graphics failed to impress everyone and the story was rather limited in scope and delivery.

id Software is now working on Doom 4, which was first announced in 2008, and the company has confirmed that the game will use the home consoles as the main development platform, relegating the PC to a secondary role.

id Software is now on my shitlist for this travesty.

consolizing Doom 4. Every FPS that got consolized was ruined on the spot (duke nukem forever could of been so much better, Deus Ex Invisible War was fucking horrific thanks to it being released on the xbox, Bad Company 1 and 2 Was fucking terrible thanks to being made mainly for consoles, call of duty was self explanatory, etc. The only ones that got it right were Valve and a few other companies i can't remember so far.)

Rage even focused on the Consoles, and it ended fucking terribly thanks to the massive amount of bugs and glitches

No Matter What

What about Battlefield 3, was it ruined too? I thought it was pretty great.

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Death View Post
    What about Battlefield 3, was it ruined too? I thought it was pretty great.

it was developed mainly for the pc. thats why it was awesome.

The only sane person here

Heh Doom 4 may as well be cancelled if the Developer is gonna lay off people for it.

No Matter What

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    it was developed mainly for the pc. thats why it was awesome.
    Actually DICE switched over to the console for their lead platform, so they could finish it in time.
    Battlefield 3 lead platform was on consoles after all - Battlefield 3

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

illegal in 9 countries

If quadrupling sales by focusing on consoles instead of PC thanks to rampant piracy means 'ruining a game' to make it profitable, I'll happily take the ruined version.

Kiwi Defender

Well, Rage sucked anyway, so I'm not looking forward to this. Instead, I'll go shoot pixeleted giant balls with eyes on Doom.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Death View Post
    Actually DICE switched over to the console for their lead platform, so they could finish it in time.
    Battlefield 3 lead platform was on consoles after all - Battlefield 3

it was still mostly developed on the PC (The Game engine, The Gameplay mechanics, etc.), so it was awesome.

Everything you saw when it was first shown and everything up to like the last month or so was pc version (except for the console gameplay video.)

only thing consoles ruined on PC version was Main Menu design.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If quadrupling sales by focusing on consoles instead of PC thanks to rampant piracy means 'ruining a game' to make it profitable, I'll happily take the ruined version.

Rampant Piracy is a scapegoat when their game is shit and doesn't sell well.

Me & Ming @ The Stash

id Software is now on my shitlist for this travesty.

Awesomeness thanks to:Thunder for platbar | Bladia for sig | Sigs & Beyond

illegal in 9 countries

Rampant Piracy is a scapegoat when their game is shit and doesn't sell well.
    Wrong, again. Using Crysis as an example, one of the most critically acclaimed and highest selling games of all time with over 3 million units shipped...

Exhibit A - http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-...f-2008-081204/
    Exhibit B - PC Play
    Exhibit C - Crysis 2 most pirated PC game of 2011 | PC Gamer

Nutshell version - "Cevat Yerli stated during an interview with PC Play in April 2008 that he was disappointed to see the game leading the charts in piracy and because of that his studio would not produce any more PC exclusives, as he believed a game such as Crysis would sell four to five times more copies if it was released on consoles."

Pirates are to blame for fucking up PC gaming, not game developers.

INTJ

crysis 2 was fucking terrible compared to crysis 1. There was also no demo.

Crysis 1 Wasn't Selling terribly thus they didn't use a piracy reason for any reason at all (spore too). Infact they removed the DRM from spore after it was released.

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

id Software Lays Off Staff, Doom 4 Development Unaffected - Softpediaid Software is now on my shitlist for this travesty.
    Yes, and Mass Effect 3 is dead to you.

Stop jumping to conclusions, because everyone on this forum knows that when this game comes out you of all people will be dick riding this game to no end.

Bad Company 1 and 2 Was fucking terrible thanks to being made mainly for consoles, call of duty was self explanatory, etc. The only ones that got it right were Valve and a few other companies i can't remember so far.)
    False, Bad Company 1 and 2 were great games. Perhaps you were the terrible one.

And I like how Valve were the only ones to get it right, the rest you "cant remember so far".

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

Kiwi Defender

Wrong, again. Using Crysis as an example, one of the most critically acclaimed and highest selling games of all time with over 3 million units shipped...
    But Crysis sucked! It was all about the graphics, and I'm pretty sure most people bought it/pirated it just to see if they could run it.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    But Crysis sucked! It was all about the graphics, and I'm pretty sure most people bought it/pirated it just to see if they could run it.
    crysis was awesome what the hell are you saying.

also crysis 1 had a demo. there was no need to pirate it unless you hated the shitty DRM.

illegal in 9 countries

crysis 2 was fucking terrible

Crysis 1 Wasn't Selling terribly thus they didn't use a piracy reason for any reason at all (spore too).
    I see that "+10 Logic" has failed you once again.

Your rationale for piracy is "the game was fucking terrible" doesn't hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    It didn't suck. Play the game. Action game of the year in 2007 for a good reason and it still holds up against more recent releases.

INTJ

I see that "+10 Logic" has failed you once again.

Your rationale for piracy is "the game was fucking terrible" doesn't hold water.
    play crysis 1 then play crysis 2.

the whole entire crysis gameplay was ruined in #2, it was just a shitty COD clone with a nanosuit attached to it.

further proof: Play crysis 1 mp then crysis 2 mp. Crysis 1 had a awesome battlefield gameplay style combined with a currency system.

illegal in 9 countries

play crysis 1 then play crysis 2.

the whole entire crysis gameplay was ruined in #2, it was just a shitty COD clone with a nanosuit attached to it.

further proof: Play crysis 1 mp then crysis 2 mp.
    That's your definition of proof? That's opinion, not proof and not a rationale for piracy. Topping the piracy lists is not a poll of 'worst game of the year'.

Proof is a developer stating "we're focusing on consoles due to PC piracy".

INTJ

That's your definition of proof? That's opinion, not proof.

Proof is a developer stating "we're focusing on consoles due to PC piracy".
    Whenever a Dev says that they mean "we are putting our games on consoles due to their being more idiots to buy our generic stuff"

Not saying everyone is a idiot on consoles, but there's a way bigger group on there due to how easy it is to play on one (Buy, plug in, play.)

illegal in 9 countries

Whenever a Dev says that they mean "we are putting our games on consoles due to their being more idiots to buy our generic stuff"
    If speaking out of your arse counts for logic these days, you're the most logical person I've ever come across.

If a game developer invests $30 million into creating a game, they sure as shit want to make that money back. By focusing on consoles they reduce the risk of piracy and decrease ongoing support costs.

When piracy accounts for more units downloaded than sold, there's a problem and it has nothing to do with "the game was shit, therefore it's ok to pirate" or "the game sold well, so it's ok to pirate" which is the alpha and omega of your "logic". Bad games don't get pirated or sold because they're not worth playing by anyone.

Kiwi Defender

It didn't suck. Play the game. Action game of the year in 2007 for a good reason and it still holds up against more recent releases.
    I have, hence my opinion of it sucking.

It's hard not to hold up against recent releases when most FPS of today are bad (Homefront, CoD, DN:F, etc).

Toggle Spoiler

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast