Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

THQ Is Dying/Dead

This is a discussion on THQ Is Dying/Dead within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The only game I've played on my PS3 that's from THQ is Homefront, but I use to play several of ...

-i- love myself.

The only game I've played on my PS3 that's from THQ is Homefront, but I use to play several of their games back when I use to own a PS2, and I enjoyed all the games they released. I won't like to see them closing down.

PRO Member

Sometimes I love this site... seriously.

An industry insider working for the International Game Developer's Association makes some tweets based on some rumors, everybody over-reacts and assumes the worst.

Yet now, when people come out and deny it, most of you assume a cover-up or damage control of some sort is in play.

But some of Dent's stuff sounds like fabrication used in an effort to get his name out there and potentially effect THQ's stock price. See statements like this on Dent's part:

word is spreading that THQ has returned IP to Disney AFTER paying the advance, with no refund
    Makes no sense. Why would THQ do this? Lets assume for a second THQ is really up for sale... Having this IP would make them MORE VALUABLE to stock-holders and a buyer (not just big investors, but people like you and me who have THQ stock, employees, managers, etc).

Even if, lets say, that the nature of the advance doesn't guarantee the rights to produce the eventual game or that the advance was a very small portion of the overall payment due and hence wouldn't be of high value to someone trying to buy the company. It still makes no sense for the similar reasons as above: It would inherently damage the stock price to return it now. So why would you return the IP? Every businessman in America will tell you to just wait it out and return it in the 11th hour of the sale ONLY IF you can't use it as leverage.

I understand if they attempted to return it while trying to get its advance back, but not sans advance. That makes no logical sense.

Whats more is THQ AU's PR firm offers a perfectly logical explanation as to where the crux of this misunderstanding started: THQ is getting the fuck out of kids games (which is likely what spawned the above rumor).

THQ was one of the top gaming companies last year and saw some real industry growth.

I see alot of evidence THQ is doing incredibly well, and more than a few places they may be in trouble. A few of Dent's tweets make no sense and, to me, reek of the type of thing Patcher does (i.e. release news for self-serving reasons that contain more than a few facts skewed heavily by his opinions/agenda).

I'm not inclined to believe him over three THQ reps and their sales figures. Of course THQ can be bought and sold at any time...

After all THQ is a public company, anyone can swoop in and buy them out at any time and rumors like this dictate perception which dictates the stock price. The article I linked talks about THQ's stock price rising since this news because people assume a buyout is coming, people want to get in under it because the stock price shoots up right before the buy... Of course this also inherently drives up the price a buyer would have to pay, thus reducing the chances of a buy, gotta love the stock-market!

I'm not sitting here saying that they are or aren't for sale. I'm just saying don't over-react and jump to conclusions. Maybe sit back and you know... think critically. There is alot of info here and none of it very conclusive.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

THQ can't hang anymore. They gotta go.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 7 - Gold

i hope games wont be cancelled thq is one of my favorite publishers

Crocodile Hunter

damn this sucks

THQ was one of the big names in my early playstation days...i hope they sort things out

Sig by Apokolypz

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    damn this sucks

THQ was one of the big names in my early playstation days...i hope they sort things out
    Should read the rest of the thread before posting. THQ isn't going out of business, it turns out that Dent just decided to tweet a lot of bullshit.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Nothing but rumours and speculation...PS360's forte.

THQ cancels 2014 lineup? - GameSpot.com

THQ is far from dead. They're cutting dead wood and focusing resources on core product, including Saints Row 4.

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Should read the rest of the thread before posting. THQ isn't going out of business, it turns out that Dent just decided to tweet a lot of bullshit.
    oh my mistake lol

I just read the OP and then posted haha

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    THQ is far from dead. They're cutting dead wood and focusing resources on core product, including Saints Row 4.
    See, my boy Anti can do homework.

Just some more info, this Dent guy, while actually in the industry, is apart of IDGA which is a non-profit professional society... Like IEEE for Electrical Engineers or SAE for the Automotive Industry. They are important and influential, but not involved in any day to day operations or inner workings of any of the companies (as that would be a conflict of interest and a violation of the purpose of a professional society).

I would trust him as a source for alot of stuff, but in this case he is just spreading rumors and hearsay (and saying alot of stuff that makes no sense) which has the potential to really benefit him... Particularly if he has some plans for THQ stock, which spiked with this news but has been on a steady decline following THQ's press release (which makes sense, people jump on the chance of a buy-out, then there is an exodus when THQ says its bogus).

What I believe: THQ canned a whole studio and dropped a chunk of their business: the uDraw, but Saints Row 3, the UFC game, Warhammer, etc are all doing well in terms of sales. I find it hard to believe a company that grew last year is going to cancel an entire lineup like that.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Sometimes I love this site... seriously.

An industry insider working for the International Game Developer's Association makes some tweets based on some rumors, everybody over-reacts and assumes the worst.

Yet now, when people come out and deny it, most of you assume a cover-up or damage control of some sort is in play.

But some of Dent's stuff sounds like fabrication used in an effort to get his name out there and potentially effect THQ's stock price. See statements like this on Dent's part:

Makes no sense. Why would THQ do this? Lets assume for a second THQ is really up for sale... Having this IP would make them MORE VALUABLE to stock-holders and a buyer (not just big investors, but people like you and me who have THQ stock, employees, managers, etc).

Even if, lets say, that the nature of the advance doesn't guarantee the rights to produce the eventual game or that the advance was a very small portion of the overall payment due and hence wouldn't be of high value to someone trying to buy the company. It still makes no sense for the similar reasons as above: It would inherently damage the stock price to return it now. So why would you return the IP? Every businessman in America will tell you to just wait it out and return it in the 11th hour of the sale ONLY IF you can't use it as leverage.

I understand if they attempted to return it while trying to get its advance back, but not sans advance. That makes no logical sense.

Whats more is THQ AU's PR firm offers a perfectly logical explanation as to where the crux of this misunderstanding started: THQ is getting the fuck out of kids games (which is likely what spawned the above rumor).

THQ was one of the top gaming companies last year and saw some real industry growth.

I see alot of evidence THQ is doing incredibly well, and more than a few places they may be in trouble. A few of Dent's tweets make no sense and, to me, reek of the type of thing Patcher does (i.e. release news for self-serving reasons that contain more than a few facts skewed heavily by his opinions/agenda).

I'm not inclined to believe him over three THQ reps and their sales figures. Of course THQ can be bought and sold at any time...

After all THQ is a public company, anyone can swoop in and buy them out at any time and rumors like this dictate perception which dictates the stock price. The article I linked talks about THQ's stock price rising since this news because people assume a buyout is coming, people want to get in under it because the stock price shoots up right before the buy... Of course this also inherently drives up the price a buyer would have to pay, thus reducing the chances of a buy, gotta love the stock-market!

I'm not sitting here saying that they are or aren't for sale. I'm just saying don't over-react and jump to conclusions. Maybe sit back and you know... think critically. There is alot of info here and none of it very conclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Nothing but rumours and speculation...PS360's forte.

THQ cancels 2014 lineup? - GameSpot.com

Thanks to both of y'all for being logical and actually thinking about this and looking into it. Saw the OP and wanted to read through all the way first before just saying something about how this sucks and if true, then yeah would completely suck. However it's not apparently and just some guy being an idiot and causing a scene.

Why I always love reading Gauss and other's posts .

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123