Bungie comes out against SOPA, acknowledges the 800lb Gorilla in the room

This is a discussion on Bungie comes out against SOPA, acknowledges the 800lb Gorilla in the room within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I don't usually post every-time a company comes out against SOPA, after all dozens do every week. I wanted to ...

PRO Member

Bungie comes out against SOPA, acknowledges the 800lb Gorilla in the room

I don't usually post every-time a company comes out against SOPA, after all dozens do every week. I wanted to post this one though because Bungie is a big name and I really liked this one because it marks the first time a big name developer has acknowledged what I call the '800lb gorilla in SOPA's room:' The fact that this is really just as damaging as rampant, unchecked online piracy.

The fact that SOPA is reacting to a perceived extremism with the opposing extreme.

Bungie opposes SOPA, mostly because it 'sucks' | Joystiq

"Bungie is opposed to any legislation that curtails free speech, stifles innovation, and prevents the open sharing of information on the Internet," Bungie's position reads. "SOPA fits that bill. If it passes, it will hurt our community, the gaming community at large, and it could very well cripple the kind of games we love to create and play.

"Just like online piracy, that would be downright criminal."
    Its a very short statement at the end, but I wanted to post this because they finally equated SOPA to being just as criminal as online piracy.

I am hoping more people start talking about this, so we can get this discussion point. Maybe we can get some sensible laws to deal with the IP rights on the interwebs.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quite different to Murdoch who's complaining about the white house being against it... Why Murdoch would be for SOPA I have no idea (I mean the man lived on pirating phones, which in my opinion is much worse than what is done on the Internet in any case)

good news in any case

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch-fr View Post
    Quite different to Murdoch who's complaining about the white house being against it... Why Murdoch would be for SOPA I have no idea (I mean the man lived on pirating phones, which in my opinion is much worse than what is done on the Internet in any case)

good news in any case

Fun fact Rupert Murdoch owns fox news.

He's pissed off that the internet community stands up to the terrible bullshit fox news produces on a daily basis

so he's for SOPA so whenever someone uses fox news clips to show why the news channel is so retared, he can just take it down and put the person who made that article in jail.

He also owns the piece of shit IGN(orant), which has tons of exclusive videos and interviews and stuff for gaming.

So if a gaming community guy hosts it on his site, he can also be put in jail for it and his whole website taken down.

by the way the SOPA has been killed, The next targets are the Protect IP Act and the OPEN act.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Fun fact Rupert Murdoch owns fox news.

He's pissed off that the internet community stands up to the terrible bullshit fox news produces on a daily basis

so he's for SOPA so whenever someone uses fox news clips to show why the news channel is so retared, he can just take it down and put the person who made that article in jail.
    Is there a news source that produces reliable information anymore? I've yet to find one.

People hate Fox news because they don't like Murdoch, not because he is any more bullshit than anybody else in news.

Murdoch is one of many people though who work for businesses that stand to loose nothing from SOPA. In general all Television and Movie makers have nothing to loose from SOPA/PIPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    by the way the SOPA has been killed, The next targets are the Protect IP Act and the OPEN act.
    SOPA has not been killed, its been put on hold while PIPA is presented to the Senate.

Seeing as every major political analyst (and anybody with more than a couple brain cells) knew these two laws would be joined into one major Act before it went to the president (assuming it passes through congress, which I don't think it will), it seems they are going to take now as the opportunity to integrate these two.

I've yet to completely read OPEN yet, but it actually seems to be a sensible law based on how far I've gotten.

It requires the exchange of money, is directed at distributors, doesn't enable censorship, puts enforcement on the responsibility of the ITC, and allows for a dispute process. The big part about it for me, and why I'm not opposed to it at the moment, is that its actually very open in its process. Putting it on the ITC was a smart idea in this regard as everything done under OPEN will be public record, meaning authority can't hide behind anonymity (nor can the criminals) like SOPA/PIPA allow. Moreover they seem to be approaching it intelligently by not having one-size fits punishment, disputes are open in their debate/resolution. Disputes can also be flexible, rather than covering this "everything, but" like SOPA/PIPA did.

The only real downfall I see at the moment is the ITC is a federal branch, meaning disputes would be handled in DC. This is pretty minor though.

Actually the fact that the MPAA opposes it is enough for me to think they got this one mostly right.

I'm not sure what your major problem is with it, or anybody else's. Unless something weird crops up as I digest the law, I don't see anything wrong on the surface.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

Hardcore!!!

If this passes, I'll have more initiative to move out of the US. I've always wanted to visit Germany and 'jag' some 'scheisse' ('hunt' some 'shit').

I can live with the Wolfenstein Series along with Mortal Kombat 1-3 being banned in Germany. I have Wolf 3D on the PC, there is no online for it and I already have finished the 2009 Wolfenstein on the PS3. Just need to get the PC Disc of 2009 Wolfenstein. Also, just need to finish Mortal Kombat 2 in order to be done with the Mortal Kombat Kollection.

Signature and Avatar done by apokolypz
    !~General Boosting and Blank General Friend Requests will be deleted. PERIOD.~!

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by jagdogger View Post
    If this passes, I'll have more initiative to move out of the US. I've always wanted to visit Germany and 'jag' some 'scheisse' ('hunt' some 'shit').

I can live with the Wolfenstein Series along with Mortal Kombat 1-3 being banned in Germany. I have Wolf 3D on the PC, there is no online for it and I already have finished the 2009 Wolfenstein on the PS3. Just need to get the PC Disc of 2009 Wolfenstein. Also, just need to finish Mortal Kombat 2 in order to be done with the Mortal Kombat Kollection.

What makes you think the bill will stop at just the United States? Countries around the world would be chomping at the bits to get something like this passed in their own country.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Hardcore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    What makes you think the bill will stop at just the United States? Countries around the world would be chomping at the bits to get something like this passed in their own country.
    How would you know that that would happen? Besides, I thought the US was the land of the free and home of the brave where the first amendment is free speech. SOPA goes against the first amendment. In other countries, I could just go to a local government building and get facts and be on my way.

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by jagdogger View Post
    How would you know that that would happen? Besides, I thought the US was the land of the free and home of the brave where the first amendment is free speech. SOPA goes against the first amendment. In other countries, I could just go to a local government building and get facts and be on my way.
    Because human beings love being in control of others. If the US Government really valued free speech, why would this bill even be up for consideration?
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Hardcore!!!

The US Government doesn't give a damn about free speech. All they care about is the money and power. To hell with you and me, the US Government just wants to sacrifice us for more money and more power. There is also the Bilderberg group. They also don't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

дурак

I wouldn't say EVERY Politician is like that. You just don't hear much about what good has been done as well, since people love negativity.

illegal in 9 countries

Even if internet censorship does pass in some form in the USA, it doesn't automatically grant the green light to the rest of the world. The Australian federal government has been proposing an internet ISP-based filter to protect us from teh interwebs for years, but it's never managed to get off the ground, nor is it likely to.

Instead of panicking like Henny Penny, consider signing up to an anonymous VPN through Sweden or Holland to bypass any ISP-based censorship. Neither country will ever censor the internet and the service providers (the good ones anyway) don't store logs of their users' activities. People (like me) use VPN's the reverse way to access blocked USA content like Netflix and Hulu, so it's nothing new, is cheap as chips and not at all difficult to setup.

VPN's aren't just used by deviants and pedophiles to mask their identities. They're used by average Joe internet user who wants to avoid the MPAA violation notices from their ISP which risk suspension of their service.

It's not in the ISPs best interest to filter the content that passed through their DNS servers - they know how most people use their download quotas, but if push comes to shove, they'll implement filtering to stay in business. Just know that $5 a month will get you around the problem, in the unlikely event the law comes to pass.

The One and Only

SOPA is getting less and less supported. Take it down!

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Even if internet censorship does pass in some form in the USA, it doesn't automatically grant the green light to the rest of the world. The Australian federal government has been proposing an internet ISP-based filter to protect us from teh interwebs for years, but it's never managed to get off the ground, nor is it likely to.
    I never said ALL countries would try to get something like SOPA implemented, but it will plant the idea in other countries heads. That's all it takes.

Imagine the US, a country that prides itself on freedom of speech and democracy, being able to censor whatever they wanted, just because they wanted to. Effectively ridding us of free speech on the internet. That would say quite a bit about us.

Hardcore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    I never said ALL countries would try to get something like SOPA implemented, but it will plant the idea in other countries heads. That's all it takes.

Imagine the US, a country that prides itself on freedom of speech and democracy, being able to censor whatever they wanted, just because they wanted to. Effectively ridding us of free speech on the internet. That would say quite a bit about us.
    Then why would there be an internet in the first place? The internet was created in United States in the 1960's and you mean to believe that the US government is going to take control of the US portion in 2012? That's about 5 decades the Government sat on their lazy asses not taking advantage. and it's also 5 decades too late because the internet is a publicly owned network because we the people of the world own this shit. Not the US Government, not the German Government, not the Australian Government, not the Russian Government, no government in the world OWNS the internet. That's like taking the US President hostage in the White House. Highly improbable and very idiotic on the US government's fall.

дурак

Good god, nevermind. I remember why I don't like speaking on current events. Just forget I was here.

The Deathly Rhythm

Sopa is not gonna pass, the goverment knows what will happen if it passes
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    It's not in the ISPs best interest to filter the content that passed through their DNS servers - they know how most people use their download quotas, but if push comes to shove, they'll implement filtering to stay in business. Just know that $5 a month will get you around the problem, in the unlikely event the law comes to pass.
    And this option is exactly why the whole foundation of SOPA is stupid, its not going to solve the problem it set out to because it focuses on censoring information.

I still haven't gotten around to reading all of OPEN, but thats why I think so many are jumping on that bandwagon...

1) Requires a money trail, and only punishes those who benefit financially. The entire law is written around money rather than the gov't's need to police IPs for the IP owner.

2) Doesn't involve censoring or manipulating the internet, but rather focuses on a dispute process through the ITC (similar to current copyright claims)... The dispute process may involve censoring/blacklisting the offender, but atleast it comes at the end of a trial-like process where the offender has the right to defend themselves.

Atleast on the surface its a much more intelligent law. It does what I would want out of an IP law, if you benefit financially off of someone else's IP, that person has the ability to re-coup damages and prevent further damage regardless of whether you are on the interwebs or not.