Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your motivation to collect Trophies? *for an article*

This is a discussion on Your motivation to collect Trophies? *for an article* within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I don't have any more motivation for trophies. It dried out by September/October last year. If I were to have ...

The One and Only

I don't have any more motivation for trophies. It dried out by September/October last year. If I were to have any, it would be the difficulty of the platinum and how well I enjoy the game.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Up the Irons!

My competitiveness/ambition and my love for collecting.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I don't have any more motivation for trophies. It dried out by September/October last year. If I were to have any, it would be the difficulty of the platinum and how well I enjoy the game.
    I had no idea

Sig by Smashguy

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I use it as an excuse to finish the games i bought that aren't very good and to re visit my favorite games that I may not have had a reason to otherwise.

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

Well, it's kinda hard to avoid trophies in the first place, but my motivation for collecting platinums is simply just to show appreciation towards that game dev, trophies I get inbetween other games I don't really care for all that much, 9 times out of 10 I can second guess when that "ping" will appear randomly when doing something, so I don't get super excited since it's predictable alot of the time.

There are actually alot more games I'd like to platinum but most of those are either tedious or require hours of grinding, if I wanted to force myself to grind hours and hours into game after game for some virtual number, I'd jump back into playing an MMO.

The only issue I have with this type of system is that sometimes some dev's kinda ruin/spoil some aspects of the game through them, whether it be story related or just to point out something so painfully obvious it's kind of silly and anticlimatic that it becomes dull, example of this would be like going through a list and finding out how many chapters there are in said game. You get really into the story and then the little thing at the back of the mind is telling you "It'll be over soon!~" then I'm like "Aww.." if I'm really into it, all because I took a quick glance over the list and none of the story related ones are hidden. That or some of the trophy names are just unoriginal or boring and not fun/interesting.

Guess I'm just nitpicking at this point, oh well.

I'd like to think some dev's actually use trophies/achievement data for research and to figure out how much content players actually indulge themselves within the games they put out, a very simple example is when you finish a game, what game nowadays doesn't have some kind of trophy when you complete it for the first time or when you do something at the very beginning, they can use that data to gauge how many players actually go through the whole game and how many only played maybe an hour of it. It's a good way to figure out how to improve the next game if anything with that type of data alone.
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

Local Drunk

The only time I have motivation to get trophies is when I'm sick of seeing a game with the same percentage for ages so I go back and get more trophies. Other than that I don't care about the trophies I'm more interested in the game.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

illegal in 9 countries

My motivation is simply to keep track of game progress and to finish the games that I start.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

for me i was unable to buy games do to money problems. but had many games so i just started replaying and getting plats in place of just buying another game.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

To begin with I didn't care about the trophies, but when I got my first plats I really got the feeling for them and wanted more.
    Now I think they give the games more value for money and a great feeling of completion. Most of all I'm hunting trophies to collect platinums because I love to collect.
    When I've earned a plat I create it in 3D with 3ds Max so that I can gather all my plats in an almost real gallery. It's a great feeling when looking at all your hard work this way xD

A plat a month!

For me, it gives me a sense of completion. Before trophies/achievements, I use to play a game on the easiest difficulty setting, beat the campaign, and not play it again. I found that it wasn't challenging me enough, and there was no motivation to play again. The trophy system has given me a sense of mastering a game, and allows me to feel a sense of accomplishment.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I am and have been for a very long time a completionist. So, that means that I like to get everything there is to get in a game so that I beat the game 100%. Getting trophies is just part of that.

Working On:
    "Fallout: New Vegas [Ultimate Edition]" - 59%,
    "Devil May Cry 3" - 14%,
    "Dead Storm Pirates" - 52% (3/5 S Rank)

PRO Member

The dopamine release and subsequent desire for more.

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

my motivation is plain and simple,i just love collecting trophys.if its get a game that is just absolutely amazing and i really enjoy playing then to me the trophys are a bonus but if it were a game that i didnt enjoy then id still play to ,just to get the trophys.i especially like the sound of multiple trophies popping up like when difficulty trophys are completed and you here the trophy sound 3+ times .also if its a game i have bought like all of them then i like to get my moneys worth and complete it from start to finish to get the .

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Lvl 1 - Bronze

To show that I play more then COD LOL! 4real I do it for the challenge of w/e I gotta do. Now I got a question where do I update my trophies now I go to what I think will do it but its always sum 404 error on my behalf. That asked Ive been using this site and had my profile set up before and love this site it's my main place I go for trophy help without using Utube. Please inbox me on my question because Ill probably forget this threads name .

Lvl 6 - Silver

Only motivation for me is to say I've completed a game to 100% and done all I can do on it, that's it.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 1 - Bronze

My motivation for trophies is more of the entertainment value rather than the completion. There are some games that I own and plan to own that have incredible high standards to Platinum yet I'll still play them for the most part. Trophies, for me, are the icing on a cake. Take a game like Burnout Paradise, which I recently earned the Platinum on. That trophy took maybe 50% of the entire game in order to get the Platinum. I remember getting my 100% Burnout Elite license on another console because I love the Burnout series. I'll get 100% on the PS3 version as well one day, because it continues to be fun every time I get behind the wheel of one of those cars. Trophies, to me, are more of road map on how you should play the game, outside of the campaign, story mode, or what-have-you. By no means are they necessary, but it doesn't hurt to have something shiny on your record saying you did pretty much everything in the game.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Why do people collect rocks, coins, stamps? The same reason they collect trophies. It gives the player a sense of accomplishment. It allows you to keep track of your achievements in gaming. If you do something remarkable in a game and acquire a trophy, you have something to show for it. And then there is the aspect of bragging rights.

It also depicts a gamers level of commitment to gaming. For instance, Bob has 2349 trophies. 2000 bronze, 300 silver, and 49 gold. No platinums. Bill has 2349 trophies. 1600 bronze, 500 silver, 200 gold, and 49 platinums. Even though they have the same amount of trophies, you can come to the conclusion that Bill is the better gamer. This separation quality of the PS3 trophies system places the PS3 trophy achievement system above the Xbox 360 achievement system. The Xbox 360 achievement system doesn't allow you to separate gamers with the same achievement amounts.

Personally, I hunt trophies to give myself a sense of accomplishment.

Regional Manager of War

Collecting trophies is fun and its even better when you play a game you really enjoy. I got into trophies Fall of 2010 and collected them for my favorite titles such as InFamous, AC2, Batman AA, and Uncharted. A few times I "whore" myself to games like Terminator or Trivial Pursuit but than I would 180 myself back to a game like Uncharted 2 or InFamous 2 just to have some fun again. I play all types of games ranging from any difficulty and never stare away from a challenge but I would avoid games that I have zero interest in. I always make sure to have fun first and hunt trophies second.
    Last edited by Admiral_Awesome91; 01-19-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Thanks to everyone who replied! It's been very helpful! Again, thanks a lot!

Proud Greek Gamer

Τrophies are a reward for having fun

They just motivate you to do more stuff in the game that without the existence of the specific trophy,you would'nt do

Signature and Avatar made by the awesome TheGeneral09

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast