Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your motivation to collect Trophies? *for an article*

This is a discussion on Your motivation to collect Trophies? *for an article* within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi there, I don't know if there was a thread like this already, but I've got a question. What is ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Your motivation to collect Trophies? *for an article*

Hi there, I don't know if there was a thread like this already, but I've got a question.

What is your motivation to collect Trophies?

I write for a Dutch game website, and I'm writing an article on the popularity of Trophies. I figured this was the perfect place to ask you guys. It's more of an impression I'm getting from this. Thanks to all who reply!

Lvl 7 - Gold

I wouldn't call it a motivation really, I'd say it's more of a time killer. When you beat a game, and with a good game, you usually don't want it to end, so you do everything to soak up the content in that game, including trophies. Getting a Platinum trophy is a great feeling because it shows you really enjoyed the story and you didn't want it to end.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Retired TGT Member

Trophies today have replaced milestones in games from generations past. Whereas I was once motivated to get 100% completion in game X or beat game Y on the hardest difficulty setting just because that's all you could do, now you can earn trophies. The interesting thing is, sometimes they're related to completing a game to 100% or beating a game on hard, and sometimes they're not.

Now I just earn trophies because I like to collect things. For a while it was power ranger action figures. Then it was baseball cards. Magic the Gathering was on the scene for a bit, too. Now it's trophies and cash money.

Lvl 6 - Silver

my reasoning for motivation on trophy collecting is to try and master all my games,when i was little i did it with them,crash bandicoot for example i use to collect all the gems crystals ect...so i just wanna do the same with my trophies

Sig and avatar by big bad bladia

Lvl 4 - Silver

I'm always aiming for platinum or collect as many trophies as i can because when i have plat or 100% i can say to myself that i have beaten this game 100% And of course to kill some time
    Last edited by Kami; 01-16-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
    -Feel free to add me on PSN (Kami_Gunn). Don't leave a blank message .

PRO Member

I will plat any game I choose to play, some to build up my platinum level and others for the challenge. These days though when I start a new game I can't be bothered, especially if it's a game to build up my plat level, when I 1st started out it was exciting... not so much now.

Sig by Smashguy

Platinum Procrastinator

For me its to see how far I can get. I always have several people whom I compare myself with and try to match or beat them. For example, Dr_Mayus recently passed me on the trophy rankings so now I'm always watching to see what percentage he's at and trying to regain my lead. I could play a bunch of easy games and pass him in a day or two if I wanted, but I usually save them for trophy competitions.

Also, I like collecting them as I've always tried to finish my games 100% going back as far as the NES days. However, with trophies we now have some sort of tracking method to show these achievements off. Not to mention its fun to compare how well you're doing on the leader boards compared to everyone else, especially the people in your own country.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Banned

Definitely the ultimate mark of completion. When I was a kid I would write down high scores in a notebook... once I rolled the score in pac-man for the atari 2600... and that was the last time I ever played it... now technology keeps track of our stats, scores & trophies for us. And like mentioned, by on a lesser level for me, people can compare and compete. I don't play enough to really move up the leaderboards.

PRO Member

uhhh...for the fun of it?
    Honestly i just feel like if i played a game i really enjoyed im gonna try and go for the platinum

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Legalize it...

For fun, to keep playing the game if I enjoy it and to get my $ out of it...

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

to see that i have completed the challenges the developers created, get the most out of my money, to see the image in my trophy list

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 6 - Silver

I don't earn that much money so going for trophies adds more time onto games, trophies are a good thing

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I find it's a great way to extend the lifespan of a game as well as showing support for my favorite titles.

Buy my book, Alteration

I find they give a game replay value, and I'm a bit of a completionist, so I don't feel I've truly 100%ed a game until I have all trophies.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The other day a friend on my list asked me that because he said he does not care anymore about trophies (he has only 2 platinums), said that feels is imposible for him get GTA IV

So what i did answer is that i like to collect them because most of the times get all the trophies means you have play the whole game and there is no much to do once you have them all, does not mean you don't play the game after.

i think trophies gives you a challenge because videogames in the last years is just about finish it and you're done, or even worse just go online without no play the real game (CoD for example), lot of people do that but i don't like it, with trophies you have a challenge while playing or after finish the game, proves that you are good in videogames and not just a Jerk of CoD or FIFA, and you can bragg about with the trophy (that's why hacked trophies does not count).

I undestand that many people just don't have time for it, and that's ok, if you are not good at the game that's ok too, that shows that not everybody is good as you are, at the end is just a game, nobody will get hurt, but obtain trophies is really fun, that's why i never quit on my games (few exeptions when it is really off limits to me, elemental monster for example: pay for a dead online to do online trophies... no way)

For me earning trophies is the real game... because is fun, in early days of PS3 have to say i did not play that much, had only 4 games (MGS4, SH Homecominng, Splinter Cell Double Agent and AC1) and i was not really interested in the games that were released in these days, liked better the PS2 titles that i have.

The InFamous came and i was really atracted to that game and when i finished i saw the trophies and went for all them until get my first plat. and it was really fun, and from then until now i keep playing on trophies, it did bring me back to videogames because i was not interested to much on them and re-invented my love for videgames.. now i keep an open mind to all videogames that i wouldn't be interested before like Killzone or even Uncharted (those were a great discovery that would regret not play them) yet does not mean i play everygame like Hanna Montana, i'm not a trophy whore.

My motivation is to earn trophies is play to discover new adventures while complete all the challenges and know that i'm still good on videogames.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Usually to keep enjoying the game, though I can become a bit obsessed to complete something.
    I also like it since it gives a sense of accomplishment to complete everything there is.

Btw, which game website is it for?
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

JE9
    Lvl 3 - Bronze

i have a collective personallity. it's cool how large ppl have for there trophy collection, but when i started to do it, it's the little OCD side of mee. for a time, i liked to b on top it all, but i'v gone and gotten too many games, and haven't even played many of them. i'm going back on games i want to play, and getting all the trophies for them i love how my collection iz. i'm not in it to have huge collect. i don't go for those cheesy movie games. i like my collection to b respectable

PRO Member

I like a challenge and that is why I collect trophies, The harder the challenge the more I enjoy myself and IMO, trophies ,these days, are the hardest gaming related challenge out there.... they make you do everything from playing the campaign to playing the mulitplayer.... I like acheiving things basically...

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Vive La Révelation!

I guess you could say I platinum games because they can by so challenging. I mean some trophies can take months to obtain. So in those last few minutes before you earn the platinum, The anticipation is so high, you know all your hard work is about to be over, and you will be rewarded. There’s nothing like it.
    Plus it always nice to get a bit more for your money. Plus you get the nice sense of completion, before I became a trophy hunter, I would completely beat certain games and it would say I was only 30% done.
    It always bothered me, and soon I discovered the amazing feeling of getting a platinum trophy and seeing the completion.
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Just something telling me that I have played that game.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast