View Poll Results: So do you think that the hardest difficulty should be available straight away?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. You should have to play on normal before the hardest difficulty

12 20.69%
  • Yes. I don't want to replay the whole game again, just for one trophy.

46 79.31%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Difficulty Levels

This is a discussion on Difficulty Levels within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've just started Resistance 3 and you can't access the hardest difficulty straight away So I was wondering, do you ...

PRO Member

Difficulty Levels

I've just started Resistance 3 and you can't access the hardest difficulty straight away
    So I was wondering, do you see this as just a cheap way for developers to use it as replay value?
    Since I'd rather jump straight into the hardest difficulty and have the trophies stack.
    Not play through on normal and then replaying again, only abit harder.

I'm not saying I'm the most amazinglyawesomestgod of games.. But I like to be challenged and not have to go through on a moderate difficulty first.

What are your thoughts? Bare in mind, that if you want to start on an easier difficulty, the fact that the hardest is already unlocked, has NO baring whatsoever on your game.

Ps. Forgot to mention (Antonio reminded me) that I know you can get the hardest difficulty on Resistance 3, but you've got to co-op with someone who has already unlocked it.
    Last edited by ChrisValentine; 01-17-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Retired TGT Member

Definitely. I hate non-stacking trophies, and I hate it when you can't play the toughest difficulty right from the start.

By the way, I believe for R3 that you can play co-op on any difficulty while your partner is on the toughest difficulty and when you play all the way through the game, you both get all the difficulty trophies. Haven't done it myself, but I remember reading about it.
    Last edited by antoniosbandana; 01-17-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: R3, not BF3

Change is mediocre

Yeah, I hate games like this. I really dont want to have to replay a game just for 1 trophy.

Lvl 7 - Gold

It's not something I think about too much but for the most part I like getting the hardest difficulties out of the way first. Like with Uncharted, you have to play on hard before you can unlock Crushing, which is a pain in the ass. So yeah, I think it's better when the hardest difficulty is available right from the start.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

Nope, nothing

Yeah it definitely should, mainly for people who want to dive in head first for the challenge

Lvl 6 - Silver

Yeah i really don't want to do another playthrough if the story is kinda boring or just isn't interesting..

Harvester of Souls

This doesn't normally affect me as I like playing through on normal or such before jumping into hard or a very hard difficulty. I see it really no need they should lock the hardest for the few that wanna play simply for trophies and go through in one go, but adds to replay of the game for ones who actually want to own it and play through for the experience. if want the hardest difficulty, then earn the option so to speak. Adds to the trophy factor to that you had to earn a bit more for you platinum .

Just how I look at itconsidering most games I've ever played always had to unlock the hardest by playing through on least normal or the hard option.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Quartercircle Forward.

What I usually do is, play the game on normal, enjoy myself, not get frustrated. Then I'll fire up the game on the toughest difficulty to get the remaining trophies

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

Lvl 7 - Gold

In my opinion difficulty is for fighting games ONLY. All games should be like RPG's or like GTA, where the difficulty is set, and cannot be changed to neither easier nor harder (especially in games that have trophies, since that will lock off a lot of fans from getting those things just because their reflexes aren't as good). Or to have scaling difficulty like in Fallout 3 - you can make enemies easier, but they will also yield less experience, and it doesn't affect trophies.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

If there are difficulty levels, all should be available from the start. Heck, I paid for the game, all options should be available as soon as I plunk down my hard earned money.

PRO Member

I say yes. It would be nice to have the option to start on the hardest difficulty. That way, if you wanted to start on normal to get a "feel for the game, you could or if you just want to blitz right through it, then go for it.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

A plat a month!

It doesn't bother me too much, except if a 100+ RPG. I like having to "get my money's worth" of a game, so if something is too short, I'm not too happy about it.

PRO Member

Even though I voted yes, I sometimes start on the hardest difficulty and sometimes I don't. Depending on the mood I am in for playing. Depending on the game I sometimes don't mind a second play through.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

PRO Member

Yes it's just for replay value, cuz trophy hunters will put up with that BS
    Although, some games like NGS2, I think the previous difficulties are needed to prepare you for Master Ninja mode!! Most games though... the difficulty doesn't really increase that much, and it would be nice if we can choose the hardest mode right from the start.

Sig by Smashguy

PRO Member

I hate multiples walkthroughs so yes i ll pick the hardest difficulty to finish up a game i have stopped playing many games since i hate replaying them but hopefully i ll replay them in a future

Lvl 6 - Silver

i think the hardest difficulty should be there from the start but i personally don't like playing the game on the hardest difficulty straight away as it ruins the experience. i don't want my first run through on the game to be full of frustration and anger or i'll think its a shit game, plus its best to play on normal first to get to grips with the game to make the harder difficulties less strenuous, Uncharted 2 was a perfect example, i struggled more on normal than i did on hard or crushing since i knew the game now, and the last boss was hard as hell on hard but i only died once fighting him on crushing lol

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Normally I don't mind, as it gives me an idea of what I need to be prepared for, or time to get used to the controls and game mechanics, or whatever. But when the game is really easy, even on the hardest difficulty, it annoys the hell out of me. And thats been the norm this gen.
    Last edited by Vorfied; 01-18-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Currently Playing-- Eternal Sonata (PS3), Majora's Mask (N64), Bowser's Inside Story (DS), Darksiders (PS3), Maken X (DC)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Yes, it's stupid and also a lazy thing to do.

When you complete the game, you should get something cool or funny. But oh no, people'd rather use a harder difficulty as a means of replacing that kind of achievement. Gits.

PRO Member

I believe all modes should be unlocked from the start. I'm not really a big fan of playing through a particular game multiple times. I find that I get bored and skip cutscenes and rush through the levels on consecutive runs. The is the only reason I hunker down and actually do it so it would be mighty convenient to have the option to get all trophies via a single playthrough on the hardest difficulty (if that's a requirement).

To be perfectly honest, I enjoy playing games on Easy or Normal. I typically just want to enjoy some virtual killing without pulling my hair out. The hardest difficulties are usually pretty lame anyway because the enemies just end up getting 10,000 HP and take 30 headshots to bring down where on the Easy difficulty it only takes 1 (of course i'm being facetious here).

Lvl 10 - Platinum

depends on the gameplay, how long the game is, and how fun it is, personally i didnt mind playing some games two or three times, but had trouble getting through some games for only one playthrough

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast