Uh, Hey Valve, What's goin on?

This is a discussion on Uh, Hey Valve, What's goin on? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey, Valve, What’s Going On, Eh? | Rock, Paper, Shotgun Valve have created themselves an interesting situation. Presenting themselves as ...

INTJ

Uh, Hey Valve, What's goin on?

Hey, Valve, What’s Going On, Eh? | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Valve have created themselves an interesting situation. Presenting themselves as bastions of consumers, remarkably accessible to gamers, regularly inviting in groups of modders – often to give them jobs – and always being present to offer a quote on how customers deserve to be treated with more dignity, they establish themselves as being our friend. And then from that position, they sure do like to muck about. And as Eurogamer’s Tom “Tom Bramwell” Bramwell mentioned on Twitter this morning, it’s hard not to sympathise with a growing body of Valve’s customers who are asking for better communication.

No one has a clue what they’re up to. Games are sometimes announced moments before release, or years in advance and then nothing but silence. Sometimes when they tease it’s obscure, frustrating ARGs that eventually end in a new pretend hat. Other times it’s a complete open door and everything revealed. They hide clues in so many places that people end up scouring everything they do for a hint, a glimpse, of something that might suggest they’ll eventually return to the Half-Life universe proper. They’ve turned gamers into pseudo-schizophrenics, people frantically trying to find patterns in the random, believing there are hidden messages within their communications. But does anyone have a “right” to know what’s going on with the Half-Life series.

Clearly not. It’s absolutely Valve’s prerogative if they want to never make another Half-Life game again, and concentrate only on adding new hats to TF2. And should they tell us they’re doing that? No – why should they? They are a privately owned company, without shareholders to answer to, not required to reveal their plans to anyone.

Should they tell anyone what they’re up to? I think it’s probably about time they did.

For many years Valve have ridden a wave of remarkably good grace. Developing and releasing extraordinarily good games gets you a long way, and Valve have consistently proven themselves to be the best in the world at what they do. From the astonishing shake up of gaming that Half-Life caused, to the zenith of the FPS, still unbeaten seven years later, Half-Life 2, and then the excellent Episodes, both Left 4 Deads, the Portal games, and TF2… there is no other record like it in gaming. There’s a reason Valve has the reputation it has.

But their peculiar secrecy doesn’t seem to do them any obvious favours. When they revealed the existence of DOTA 2 or Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the gaming press was obviously extremely eager to give this as much coverage as possible. They’re Valve games, so there’s an extremely good chance they’ll be very good. (Not guaranteed of course. There’s always Ricochet, conspicuously absent from their Games page.) Readers want to know about them, sites want details about them, and Valve wants the coverage. It all works.

So when they go quiet, after two episodes of a promised a three part episodic series of Half-Life games, it’s understandable that people get annoyed. No, no one has the right to know – it’s absolutely their private business, and they may keep it as underwraps as they wish. But I’d suggest at this point, this many years into what is now appearing quite a farce, it’s doing damage to their reputation.

Clearly the actions of Axel “Ago” Gembe were absolutely unjustifiable, and the leaking of Half-Life 2 scarred Valve very badly. Gembe’s given motivation was his frustration about the lack of information being released about the game, and his eventual discovery that Valve weren’t revealing quite how far from finished the game was. Leaking the code was a stupid and cruel act, and Simon Parkin’s wonderful article about his attempts to broker peace between the two many years on shows that Valve are still hugely angry and upset about it. None of it should ever have happened, but what I find peculiar is that Valve apparently learned no lessons about the frustration they generate in their most dedicated fans.

The silence over Episode 3, or what for seemingly no reason most now think will be Half-Life 3, is infuriating. And not because we deserve to know about it, nor because Valve have any obligation to say. But unfortunately, Valve have confused us. They act in an extraordinarily open way in so many cases, with remarkable access via email, and an engagement with the community that’s the envy of the gaming world. While they of course receive backlashes, and there is a contingent of Angries who will always hate them, the goodwill they receive is enormous. This, combined with their more recent engagement with complex ARGs and hiding clues everywhere, has given the impression that they want to share what’s going on with us. And that confuses us.

If Episode 3 went horribly wrong, it would be fascinating to know. If they developed the game and it was complete arse, it wouldn’t damage Valve’s reputation for saying so. If it’s been in ongoing development, constantly iterated and improved upon, perhaps even morphing into Half-Life 3, everyone would be so excited to hear. If they just ran out of ideas, or got bored of Freeman, we’d love to know why.

So no, of course Valve has no obligation, and we have no right, to know what’s happening. But I’m struggling to think of a reason why it would harm them to keep us up to date. Were they a completely secretive organisation, unreachable, who only announce a new game the day it comes out, then our expectations would be somewhere else. But it is the confusion of the contradiction of Valve’s surprising openness and closed secrecy that leads to the bewildered frustration of their audience.

So in short, Valve, tell us what’s going on with Half-Life 3?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

If they do make H3 I hope they make it PC only for now and really push the hardware, they can port it to PS4 later when it comes out.

Kiwi Defender

Why all the sudden necessity to know what's going on with Episode 3/Half-Life 3? I haven't seen so much interest in the game for a while, and then the supposed 'leaks' started to happen and everyone's telling Valve to hurry up or spill the beans.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

The only sane person here

I question if HL3 will ever come out

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Why all the sudden necessity to know what's going on with Episode 3/Half-Life 3? I haven't seen so much interest in the game for a while, and then the supposed 'leaks' started to happen and everyone's telling Valve to hurry up or spill the beans.
    because the sudden rise of rumors and cockteases

Lvl 9 - Gold

Wall of text, can you summarize?
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    People want HL3 already and Valve ain't saying nor releasing anything.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

"So in short, Valve, tell us what’s going on with Half-Life 3?"
    Last sentence.

@Topic:
    Ps360, you are making topics left and right, damn.
    Anyways, not too interested in Half Life 3, right now.
    Still trying to finish the others.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

illegal in 9 countries

Read the last sentence, that's the summary.

I would love to see Valve return to making games instead of dressing up Team Fortress 2 dollies, but it's their dollar and their call, so I have no right to complain.

As long as I continue to get my PC games at bargain basement prices on Steam with the occasional blistering title emerging from the brain-trust at Valve, I'm as happy as a pig in poo.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I would love to see Valve return to making games instead of dressing up Team Fortress 2 dollies, but it's their dollar and their call, so I have no right to complain.
    Well, they could at least try to release games while releasing new hats .

Toggle Spoiler

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

It's horrid because we all know it exists in some form and Valve may well have the right to do what they want with their product but come on, the longer we wait the worse the hype gets, soon it will reach a point where any Half -Life announcement can do nowt less than change gaming forever in multiple positive ways if it's to be validated.

This time, i think any new Half- Life should be all format with PC being lead, it's bad enough it will probably only run on high end PC's, don't go making console owners wait even longer.

Platinum Dohvakiin

HL3: The Game That never Was. This whole thing dealing with HL3/Episode 3 or whatever you want to call it. Has gotten beyond old. I understand Valve can do whatever they want with their product. But seriously here. After years of teasing, misinformation and just general denial. Either tell gamers one way or the other. If you're even making then damn thing. Valve knows a lot of people want the game. But all this teasing they've been doing on and off for the last few years. Is probably going to come back and bite them in the ass. HL is going to end up one of those games. That's never going to live up to the hype. That Valve has been or hasn't been giving it to be exact. Personally i don't care when the game is released. I would just like to know that it is in fact a game to be released. All this teasing is just absurd really.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

PRO Member

This has been Valve's MO since the late 90s though... I'm always confused with articles like this because I can't help but feel they are coming from either surprise (which means the author's stupid) or thinking that with enough outrage Valve will change (which means the author's stupid).

Its unfortunately Valve treats us all like this, but its what they do and obviously we don't care.

Half-Life 3 will come out when it comes out. I'll make up my mind about the game then.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

heh I like the build up and mystery, if H3 can do something to give the FPS genre some new ideas then I don't mind waiting