Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

IGN's 2011 GOTY is...

This is a discussion on IGN's 2011 GOTY is... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by LAWLZilla I hate when people say that. Uncharted 1, 2, 3, and most likely GA are all ...

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by LAWLZilla View Post
    I hate when people say that.

Uncharted 1, 2, 3, and most likely GA are all the same yet they all get rave reviews... same with almost any Sony franchise. And they add little to nothing to most sequels. At least nintendo adds new gameplay to every one of there main games (like mario galaxy/super paper mario)
    Sony adds as much crap to their exclusives (Uncharted for example, which I find overrated too) as Nintendo. There are no game-changing additions to any of their franchices and that's why 'hardcore' gamers gave them the finger (even more after the launch of the Wii).

They don't offer anything really worth waiting 3-4 years for, afterall you'll do the same again: start without nothing, have someone kidnapped, get a sword and shield (which you'll probably 'upgrade' later on), finish 2-3 dungeons (each with the same basic formula: get the map, the compass and then a tool that you'll use to beat the boss), then finish another couple of dungeons, beat a dark lord of sorts and rescue a gal. Same thing every game, no innovation at all.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Go Blue Jackets!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Sony adds as much crap to their exclusives (Uncharted for example, which I find overrated too) as Nintendo. There are no game-changing additions to any of their franchices and that's why 'hardcore' gamers gave them the finger (even more after the launch of the Wii).

They don't offer anything really worth waiting 3-4 years for, afterall you'll do the same again: start without nothing, have someone kidnapped, get a sword and shield (which you'll probably 'upgrade' later on), finish 2-3 dungeons (each with the same basic formula: get the map, the compass and then a tool that you'll use to beat the boss), then finish another couple of dungeons, beat a dark lord of sorts and rescue a gal. Same thing every game, no innovation at all.

God of war 1-3 are the same game. Nothing is different about any of them. Restience 1-3 is the same game nothing different about them. Infamous 1-2 same game just minor tweeks. Killzone same thing.

Zelda really isnt the same game over and over again. u can say that maybe to mario as it uses the same star collecting fundlmentles but it offers new gameplay to it (Sunshine and galaxy are nothing alike gameplay wise)

The only series of nintendo games that dont change is pokemon, and Smash Bros.

Resident PHD

God of war 1-3 are the same game. Nothing is different about any of them. Restience 1-3 is the same game nothing different about them. Infamous 1-2 same game just minor tweeks. Killzone same thing.

Zelda really isnt the same game over and over again. u can say that maybe to mario as it uses the same star collecting fundlmentles but it offers new gameplay to it (Sunshine and galaxy are nothing alike gameplay wise)

See most people know you are just a troll but I will add this. Most games don't change that much from game to game. The major difference is though most companies can kind of mask this with a great story and characters. You feel like you are playing a new game because you haven't experienced this world yet.

Nintendo either doesn't have a story or the story is the same with a different name for the characters (see Pokemon) This is why it feels like the same game over and over because you have no connection with anything so you are just playing the new levels (which is why I refer to Nintendo games as expensive expansion packs)

The only game series Nintendo has that isn't a cut and copy job is Metroid.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Go Blue Jackets!!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    See most people know you are just a troll but I will add this. Most games don't change that much from game to game. The major difference is though most companies can kind of mask this with a great story and characters. You feel like you are playing a new game because you haven't experienced this world yet.

Nintendo either doesn't have a story or the story is the same with a different name for the characters (see Pokemon) This is why it feels like the same game over and over because you have no connection with anything so you are just playing the new levels (which is why I refer to Nintendo games as expensive expansion packs)

The only game series Nintendo has that isn't a cut and copy job is Metroid.

But your also not answering my other point. Sony games are worst copy and paste games than nintendo.

Kiwi Defender

But your also not answering my other point. Sony games are worst copy and paste games than nintendo.
    No. At least the settings feel different. Every Hyrule feels like every other Hyrule, except maybe the 1st one and LttP due to the over-the-top world view. Every Mushrom Kingdom feels like every other Mushrom Kingdom. They are the same crap all the time.

God Of War 1-3 offers more change than any Nintendo game with the different weapons alone. Resistance (not "Resistence") offers more change through the settings alone and through character progression (spoiler: Nintendo doesn't know what that is). Same with inFAMOUS and Killzone.

Of course it's all the same. Not on the same over-exaggerated copypasta level as Smash Bros. or Pokémon, but it's fundamentally and gameplay-wise the same. The settings repeat themselves. The elements repeat themselves. The characters repeat themselves. The game-progression repeats itself. It's the same damn thing.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Go Blue Jackets!!

No. At least the settings feel different. Every Hyrule feels like every other Hyrule, except maybe the 1st one and LttP due to the over-the-top world view. Every Mushrom Kingdom feels like every other Mushrom Kingdom. They are the same crap all the time.

God Of War 1-3 offers more change than any Nintendo game with the different weapons alone. Resistance (not "Resistence") offers more change through the settings alone and through character progression (spoiler: Nintendo doesn't know what that is). Same with inFAMOUS and Killzone.

Of course it's all the same. Not on the same over-exaggerated copypasta level as Smash Bros. or Pokémon, but it's fundamentally and gameplay-wise the same. The settings repeat themselves. The elements repeat themselves. The characters repeat themselves. The game-progression repeats itself. It's the same damn thing.
    I disagree completely..

Kiwi Defender

I disagree completely..
    Yeah, as if we didn't know that already.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The differences in Zelda games are pretty large though mostly not in their mechanics.

For example OOT vs Majora's Mask: yeah the obvious difference is the smaller setting and 3 day quirk but really Majora's Mask has a very dark and creepy setting, you never feel safe with that ugly moon always hovering over the town, as a kid it really unnerved me.

Windwaker has a completely different art style that hasn't aged, and it has a more adventure\pirate setting, you really feel like you are exploring and going on a cool adventure, it's very different to the Hyrule Zeldas.

Skyward Sword again has a really creative art style and new setting, even changes the controls though it's not that important, but it also introduces heaps of new characters and fleshes out Zelda as a character in a way they weren't able to in the previous games.

All the Gameboy Zelda's are very unique too, I think the only Zelda that could warrant criticism is probably Twilight Princess, but everyone wanted another OOT.

So yeah gameplay wise they are very similar but everything else is very different, altering gameplay is difficult without introducing gimmicky items\weapons like some current gen series do, I would rather they stick to the meat and potatoes of combat and create new and interesting settings\challenges.

As for God of War (this is just my opinion not a statement of fact) I loved the first game but the second was very redundant with gimmicky new toys, GOW 3 reduced the levels to basically sidescrolling and also threw in some gimmicky items\abilities. To me the story was pointless after the first game, they just made the sequels because they had to, I liked Chains of Olympus though it was really fun.

Anyway I think Zelda doesn't deserve to be accused of repetitiveness since it's a very creative and unique series, I like God of War and Uncharted but they are very formulaic compared to the Zelda games.

Go Blue Jackets!!

Yeah, as if we didn't know that already.

suck my left nut..

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    The differences in Zelda games are pretty large though mostly not in their mechanics.

For example OOT vs Majora's Mask: yeah the obvious difference is the smaller setting and 3 day quirk but really Majora's Mask has a very dark and creepy setting, you never feel safe with that ugly moon always hovering over the town, as a kid it really unnerved me.

Windwaker has a completely different art style that hasn't aged, and it has a more adventure\pirate setting, you really feel like you are exploring and going on a cool adventure, it's very different to the Hyrule Zeldas.

Skyward Sword again has a really creative art style and new setting, even changes the controls though it's not that important, but it also introduces heaps of new characters and fleshes out Zelda as a character in a way they weren't able to in the previous games.

All the Gameboy Zelda's are very unique too, I think the only Zelda that could warrant criticism is probably Twilight Princess, but everyone wanted another OOT.

So yeah gameplay wise they are very similar but everything else is very different, altering gameplay is difficult without introducing gimmicky items\weapons like some current gen series do, I would rather they stick to the meat and potatoes of combat and create new and interesting settings\challenges.

Anyway I think Zelda doesn't deserve to be accused of repetitiveness since it's a very creative and unique series, I like God of War and Uncharted but they are very formulaic compared to the Zelda games.
    Can't disagree with Skyward Sword for I haven't really done shit in that game (will need to get it myself in order to do something), but regarding the others, I beg to disagree.

Sure, the masks in MM offer some new gimmicks, but they don't offer anythign really game-changing (much like weapons in GoW) and instead makes the game longer by having you collecting them all by the end of the game.

Wind Waker did add some more fun due to exploration through sea, but it's basically the same as exploration through land, except they made the map bigger and made 2/3s of it water so you had to spend more time traveling than before.

In the end, it's still the same thing. Zelda is way more formulaic than GoW or Overrated (i.e. Uncharted), specially since they've been following the same formula since the late 80's.

suck my left nut..
    If that's all you have left, then I pity you. Gremlins does a better job defending your PoV than you lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Can't disagree with Skyward Sword for I haven't really done shit in that game (will need to get it myself in order to do something), but regarding the others, I beg to disagree.

Sure, the masks in MM offer some new gimmicks, but they don't offer anythign really game-changing (much like weapons in GoW) and instead makes the game longer by having you collecting them all by the end of the game.

Wind Waker did add some more fun due to exploration through sea, but it's basically the same as exploration through land, except they made the map bigger and made 2/3s of it water so you had to spend more time traveling than before.

In the end, it's still the same thing. Zelda is way more formulaic than GoW or Overrated (i.e. Uncharted), specially since they've been following the same formula since the late 80's.

If that's all you have left, then I pity you. Gremlins does a better job defending your PoV than you lol.
    That was one of my points though, the mechanics haven't really changed between Zelda games but the overall experience has, they can add and remove things (horse riding for eg.) but it will never change the core of the game, they could change the gameplay style or make the combat more complex but it's not necessarily what the fans want. It's also not really what we need, we need variety in the games industry and Zelda is very different from GOW which is very different from Uncharted etc. etc. I think that's more important.

God of War is actually set in the same locations, with same overall plot and even enemies with the same mechanics across the series. Should it be criticized for that though? For me I enjoyed fighting minotaurs in GoW3 again in the same way I did in GoW1, it gives a slight feeling of nostalgia but also rewards you for having been part of the series.

I really don't think continuity is a bad thing as long as we have a variety of games to choose from, it's cool to play a new Zelda and hear the old Hyrule theme again.

It would really only be a problem if the industry stagnated to a bunch of Zelda and Uncharted clones, but as long as there is variety I can enjoy those games, and if I do get bored of them I can just choose to not participate in the series.

Kiwi Defender

That was one of my points though, the mechanics haven't really changed between Zelda games but the overall experience has, they can add and remove things (horse riding for eg.) but it will never change the core of the game, they could change the gameplay style or make the combat more complex but it's not necessarily what the fans want. It's also not really what we need, we need variety in the games industry and Zelda is very different from GOW which is very different from Uncharted etc. etc. I think that's more important.

God of War is actually set in the same locations, with same overall plot and even enemies with the same mechanics across the series. Should it be criticized for that though? For me I enjoyed fighting minotaurs in GoW3 again in the same way I did in GoW1, it gives a slight feeling of nostalgia but also rewards you for having been part of the series.

I really don't think continuity is a bad thing as long as we have a variety of games to choose from, it's cool to play a new Zelda and hear the old Hyrule theme again.

It would really only be a problem if the industry stagnated to a bunch of Zelda and Uncharted clones, but as long as there is variety I can enjoy those games, and if I do get bored of them I can just choose to not participate in the series.
    Yeah, I get your point (which conists of "the formula is there but they spice it up enough so it feels different), but again, I disagree with for the reasons I mentioned previously.

I have no issue with the franchice's continuity. It can be a big load of bollocks for all I care, since that's not the focus of the game. It's not Uncharted or GoW where you are specifically following the exploits of a character and not his predecessor or descendant.

Yes, we need innovation, and the Zelda and Mario franchices (alongside CoD and probably TES) are the kind that say "Don't! You can simply do the same game over and over with a different cover and art-style year after year!". Sure, there are few tweaks and new gimmicks, but the overall experience is the same. You already know what to expect and aproximately how long the game is in terms of playtime.

And sadly, the industry is stagnated, but not from Zelda or Uncharted clones (somehow, there aren't many, and the few that there are don't get milked and were a one-time release), but thanks to CoD clones.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Looking at all of the nominees

And having played 3 out of the 5, I still think it should've been Uncharted. Don't misinterpret what I say though. Portal 2 was an insanely good game and so was Skyrim (although it was and still is broken on the ps3). I read peoples opinion "Portal 2 gave me the most enjoyment" or "portal 2 was the most fun" I don't think a game that was "the most fun" should be given a title like GOTY. Still think U3 deserves it based on the fact it brings out the ps3s and for that matter this console generations full potential. It has an engaging story, and incredible voice acting as well. Almost everything about the game works. I also see people saying "The uncharted series is the same game over and over" (no new innovations). But why fix or change something that isn't broken and works very damn well?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I also see people complaining about how IGN always picks the wrong game of the year. So you would all disagree with last years choice of Mass Effect 2? Because I certainly do not.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

And sadly, the industry is stagnated, but not from Zelda or Uncharted clones (somehow, there aren't many, and the few that there are don't get milked and were a one-time release), but thanks to CoD clones.
    lol I think your getting gamer blues, when games stop being new because you have played them too much, it passes though.

There aren't really any CoD clones I don't think, I mean Killzone follows a similar pacing and linear level design, but its online is very different.

For me the worst thing right now is the competitive multiplayer with RPG style ranks\leveling that gets attached to many games, that has definitely been popularized by CoD, I don't mind local or online co-op being added to games but that other style is silly since it takes dev time and is dead after a few months outside of the big releases (CoD, BF3)

So you would all disagree with last years choice of Mass Effect 2?
    yeah i would

Red Dead Redemption
    Super Meatboy
    Nier

Kiwi Defender

lol I think your getting gamer blues, when games stop being new because you have played them too much, it passes though.

There aren't really any CoD clones I don't think, I mean Killzone follows a similar pacing and linear level design, but its online is very different.

For me the worst thing right now is the competitive multiplayer with RPG style ranks\leveling that gets attached to many games, that has definitely been popularized by CoD, I don't mind local or online co-op being added to games but that other style is silly since it takes dev time and is dead after a few months outside of the big releases (CoD, BF3)

yeah i would
    Oh no, it has nothing to do with that. Just look at the high percentage of FPS games released this year, then you'll realize what I mean.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Actually yeah there was a bit of disappointment with Syndicate and XCOM being revived as FPS games, but I think we have always had a decent amount of FPS games released each year, it's a popular genre but the free paced shooters from the 90s are mostly gone

Off the top of my head I know The Darkness 2 and Prey 2 are coming out, but they are very different to CoD style hallway shooters. I think the FPS genre has hit a bit of a wall but I am sure they can get over it, once people get bored of the Hallway\Scripted Event\Cutscene formula.
    If Timesplitters 4 would finally be announced.....

Lvl 3 - Bronze

yeah i would

Red Dead Redemption
    Super Meatboy
    Nier
    lol... take the last 2 off the list and I can see where you're coming from.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I can agree with some extent that ign gets a few games here and there wrong.. but mostly on the console lists themselves. like last year heavy rain got ps3 goty and imo.. the game wasn't very good.. it didn't feel like I "played" it.. isn't that the point of a game? Yeah..graphics were amazing and the decision making and consequences were great..but it still should not have won.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i can't say iv played portal 2 but i am a little shocked that it was picked over skyrim?? but each to their own, might have to give portal a buzz

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast