Yoshida on PS4 Region lock question

This is a discussion on Yoshida on PS4 Region lock question within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Q&A: Sony Computer Entertainment's Shuhei Yoshida - Giant Bomb The part you care about : Region Locking I asked Yoshida ...

INTJ

Yoshida on PS4 Region lock question

Q&A: Sony Computer Entertainment's Shuhei Yoshida - Giant Bomb

The part you care about:

Region Locking

I asked Yoshida about the possibility of region locking going away in the next generation. However, he did not respond, saying only that he knows the answer to the question, but did not want to get an unhappy call from his PR department.

oh boy

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    No. Please don't.

Unless, it's being kept a secret so they have some more information at a different event? Yeah, that's got to be it...surely thats got to be it.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'm pretty sure if PS4 won't block used games then region lock won't happen as well.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Not sure i'm that bothered by region locking, got all excited about it being region free across all countries this time round and did not get one import for the PS3.
    Maybe a decade ago i would have been more into the idea of region free gaming when you could wait a really long time for some games but now, well apart from Trophy gorging and titles unlikely to be released outside Japan, there seems like little point in stressing about it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Region lock would really suck. Some games don't make it to NA from EU and JP (and vice versa), and I'd hate to miss out on the chance to play them just because I live in America (and I'm sure those in other countries feel the same about our games in their home countries).

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

illegal in 9 countries

The Vita gave us the heads-up - Vita content is locked to the regional account that purchased the content, eg in my case US PS content will play on a US PSN account, but not an AU.

I strongly suspect the same will be implemented for PS4.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I own a couple of imported games, but I could find them all in here. However, it IS a big deal if the PS4 is region locked for people that enjoy Japanese games, especially when companies like Capcom refuse to release them in the West.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    The Vita gave us the heads-up - Vita content is locked to the regional account that purchased the content, eg in my case US PS content will play on a US PSN account, but not an AU.

I strongly suspect the same will be implemented for PS4.
    That's no different to the PS3. However with the PS3 you can have multiple accounts.

Ps4 is stated to also have multiple accounts so it should be the same as PS3. But this is about actual region locking, Nintendo DS style.

Personally, I don't see the PS4 being region locked, considering the praise Sony get's when their hardware is released Region Free...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Returning to the region lock style would be really stupid
    They stoped that with the PSP, why go back? I really hope it's not region locked as I sometimes import games

Platinum Dohvakiin

Region Locking a Console in this day and age is retarded. I mean seriously did Nintendo not teach them anything?

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

PRO Member

Does not matter to me at all but it is unfortunate because it will effect so mant on this site.