Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

PS4, why?

This is a discussion on PS4, why? within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Jay Hawk-chan Some people just like to see the world burn....

Legalize it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Hawk-chan View Post
    Some people just like to see the world burn.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

With all respect to your opinion I have to disagree with nearly everything.

I was lucky enough to be able to see the entire livestream and the presentation IGN did both pre and post show. Had someone said a couple hours prior that they weren't going to show what the PS4 looked like I would have said that would be a big mistake and just crazy. It wasn't until the conference was over I even consciously thought "we still don't I know what it looks like."

And to be honest I'm not bothered by that, nor do I care. We can argue over the reasons why they chose not to but at the end of the day it's just conjecture. I will tell you I think showing the controller was far more important than the console. There has been a lot of talk and apprehension when rumors first surfaced about a redesigned controller. I think the Dualshock is a great setup and it has been with us in one form or another for over a decade now. I was concerned to say the least that Sony would make a drastic departure from something we are all use to. After seeing it I'm relieved and excited because it seems to be an improvement. So bottom line: showing the controller was a great move. Making me wait to see what the console looks like doesn't phase me at all. You talk about the size and where the I/O will be. To that I say it will look like whatever it looks like. I respect your opinion but to me whether you see it 6 months or 3 months before it's release is irrelevant because like I said, "However it looks is how it will look."

Furthermore, women not being present at the conference doesn't by default make Sony a sexist misogynistic company. If the lack of women was intentional that would be a different story. But I don't see any evidence to point to that conclusion. To my knowledge the Video Game Industry is still a male dominated industry. Everyone that spoke was an important player within that industry and there was every reason for each one of them to be there. Women are important on both the industry and consumer side of things.... They should be represented and respected but I don't see the line of thinking "we gotta get some women in here so we don't look sexist" as solving anything.

Just ask Morgan Freeman. In 2005 Mike Wallace from 60 minutes interviewed him on his thoughts on Black History month.

Toggle Spoiler

"Stop talking About it." To me this is the same thing. And until there is evidence Sony is deliberately excluding women in the industry this shouldn't be an issue.

I'll admit I was annoyed when I heard there wasn't going to be backwards compatibility but I came across some information which I found intriguing. Apparently (according to industry sources anyway) only around 5% of gamer's utilize backwards Compatability. That got me thinking.... I bought my fat 80GB PS2 backwards compatible PS3 in October of 2008. And I can honestly say I haven't played any of the PS or PS2 discs I own in a good 3 years, maybe more. Now there are several reasons for that, The big ones being the fact that there are so many great HD collections with trophy support and a very nice catalogue of PS1 games available on PSN. So that point has been made moot.

Yes BC would be a nice feature but you're taking it out of context. You have to weigh the value of what you are getting and what you are giving up. In a perfect world BC should be available, but this is the real world where everything has a price and consequences. Sony has done away with it's propitiatory Cell technology and is using a more traditional CPU. By going that route we lose the ability to play PS3 games and everything on PSN which is designed to run on the Cell Processor. That's sucks, but what do we gain in it's place? Let's take a step back for a minute and look at the PS3 launch.

People went to the Xbox 360 in droves... Why? I mean the PS3 was more powerful and the 360 isn't backwards compatible so what was it? First was the fact that it was significantly cheaper than the PS3. Something it seems Sony has acknowledged. by going with a traditional CPU as opposed to producing something in house means production costs will be reduced. Putting in a secondary Cell or an emulator to run PS3 games would increase production costs for something only a very small minority of customers would utilize. You buy a PS4 to play PS4 games not play old games on your new console. That's why you don't throw away your current PS3. I don't want two consoles underneath my TV either but I'll deal with that because that's preferable to having a $600 price tag at launch.

Secondly this Console will be far more developer friendly than the PS3, which brings us to the second issue. Lack of titles at launch. The Xbox had a better library and many of the cross platform games initially ran better on the Xbox because that's what the developers were designing for. That won't be an issue this gen, which means to library of available titles should be greater from day one. If BC really mattered, the Xbox with it's larger library and more competitive price would not have outsold the PS3.

And let's not forget Gaikai. Sony didn't spend $380 million dollars at a time when it was hemorrhaging money because they thought the name was catchy. They have a plan, which includes being able to play everything through this streaming service they bought. From a financial standpoint you wouldn't regulate something like that to merely PS4 gen titles. It might take a couple years and you might have to hang on to your PS3 for longer than you and I hoped but trust me it will at some point or another be available for the entire Playstation catalogue.

As for being able to pop anything in your PC and play it, well that is a gross overstatement. If that was indeed the case I'd would be playing Mechcommander, or Warcraft 2 or Simant at this very moment. My computer runs Windows 7 Professional and it's a pain in the ass, many games don't work right or at all. Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds does run but to colors are all screwed up. Maybe with all your computer knowledge these things are simple fixes, but I'm not into computers anymore. At one time I was very savy and had no problems building one from scratch but that was 10 years ago, that skill has been lost and the time and energy to relearn it isn't worth it my time. PC's do perform multiple functions, but consoles aren't purely for gaming anymore either. Then there is the constant maintenance and upgrades. I bought my PS3 in 08 and beyond an upgraded HDD and firmware updates every couple months in the same machine. Maintaining a PC is much more labor and time intensive. My console just works they was it's suppose to I don't have to worry about a thing. Computers are constantly not working properly. Back in October of 08 I spent $499.99 on my PS3 and when GT6 comes out (probably near the end or 2013) I will be able to play it without sacrificing anything whatsoever. To keep my computer at peak performance from 08-2013 I'd have to spend 4 or 5 times what I did on my PS3. Some people are okay with that... I got other things I want to spend my money on.

And the hardware argument is really about graphics. Computers will always be superior from a technological standpoint. Technology doubles every 18 months and you can't bring out a new console every year. But you don't need to; Journey, Plants Vs Zombies, Rainbow Moon, Pixel Junk Monsters. These games aren't awesome because they are pushing the boundaries of what's possible. They are successful and loved for all the other aspects of why gamer's play video games.

I guess Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft could make consoles that are upgradeable that could be moded and would evolve along with the industry. But why? This is more than likely the last gen of consoles we will purchase, everything from here on out will be streamed through our TV. I don't think any of those companies are delusional enough to think that in 10 or 20 years people will still be needing a traditional console. But there is even something more important that made this whole thing pointless. You see I like the fact I can buy a piece of electronic hardware and it will provide me with years of entertainment at a nominal cost and minimal maintenance. But for someone who wants to be on the cutting edge of technology, experience the cusp of what's graphically possible, something that can be changed and constantly improved upon, your wish has been granted and such a marvelous device exists:

Toggle Spoiler

Well there is my rant. Like I said in the beginning, you are entitled to your opinion, I vehemently oppose it but none the less you are entitled to it. Now that I'm stepping down from my soap box I'll do what I should have done a couple hours ago and go to sleep.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    1 - Sony didn't show us the console because they haven't finalized the design as to how it will actually look.

2 - The % of women-to-men entertainment presenters is very low all around the world, not just in Sony. Men are most of the time better at presenting and explaining (and have more knowledge of) electronic hardware, software, apps etc.

3 - Backwards compatibility is via the PSN through Gaikai technologies, so there is BC (just not automatically). Placing the CELL BC chip would bump the price of the PS4 at least $100 which would severely lower overall sales.

4 - You can't compare computers to consoles - consoles are low energy-consuming devices and making them have top-of-the-range hardware would not only decrease sales but melt the console within a couple of days. Computers have much more space for air to come in and go out compared to a console, and the cooling in a computer (ATM) can be via water instead of fans spinning around.

You clearly didn't fully pay attention to the Sony Reveal.
    Agreed on everything else but the final design is already decided , they just want to keep people interested , thats why they never showed the whole package .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 10 - Platinum

I can definately agree there should have been women during the event and I also feel there should have been kids, animals and where the were the zombies. I'm so pissed that I'm done with SONY.

You see, SONY withholding the system keeps our interests and our thoughts on the PS4 and what is it going to look like (just like Nintendo did with the WII U). At least it has for me.

It is going to be backwards compatible through GaiKai tech.

Specs will never surpass a PC. My PC alone has 128 Gig of ram. It's a console not a super computer. Ever since my friend got a Gamecube for Christmas a couple years back he loves console gaming cause he said you don't need to worry about is this game going to work on my computer. He just pops in a game and plays it with no crashing, freezes or troubles.

I am loyal to SONY cause of the fact they put funding back into relief during the earthquakes in Japan and did not release Motorstorm Apocolypse in Japan due to the earthquakes. What did Nintendo do? next to nothing cause they are selfish and only care about one thing NINTENDO.

Lvl 9 - Gold

The reason he loves to rant is because his name is Angry... like that says it enough people.

Bro, you have no backup on your opinion to make it true. Just one man who got kicked in the balls.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    You see, SONY withholding the system keeps our interests and our thoughts on the PS4 and what is it going to look like (just like Nintendo did with the WII U). At least it has for me.
    Exactly.

Dude's obviously never heard of foreplay. Is anyone really surprised by that revelation?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by seniorpibb View Post
    I don't think he does...but on topic, why is there a goddamn share button
    To instantly share a clip of video of what you just played.

There may not have been any women presenters on stage, but women were repsented as players in some of the videos. Watch it again. This is probably ok seeing how more women play games than produce games, and women gamers are so fewer than men in the first place. But sereiously, who cares about how the new console with perform. Let's all complain about how it was presented. That's like saing, "Dude that maserati is crap, I can't stand that color!"

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Parmigiana View Post
    This is my opinion. I am entitled to it so don't try and block it. Don’t start a flame war, just a civilized discussion please.
    Go back to your swamp, bigot
    Excuse me? I'm sorry but you are an idiot
    Lol...

But seriously, your opinions are ill-informed and inflamatory, so maybe you should just keep them to yourself.

Update:

There's really no point in comparing console hardware to PC hardware. Consoles are streamlined, dedicated gaming and media centers, with bare-bones OS and minimalistic design. It's for this reason that Sony can put a 2 year old GPU (by PS4 release date) in the PlayStation and call it a 'Next-gen' console.

PlayStation 4 also has 8gb of GDDR5 RAM. Find for me a retail outlet that sells consumer-grade GDDR5 RAM. Having trouble? That's because no one sells it. PCs use DDR3, and Graphics Cards have only used GDDR5 since 2008.

In terms of the CPU, the industry standard is quad-core, and at best, it's quad-core with hyper-threading. Hex-cores are only just creeping into use, and if you're looking for an 8-core, then unless you have over $1200, you're shit out of luck, because that's the starting price of an entry level 8-core CPU.

As for no women being present, I also noticed a distinct lack of hispanics, sub-continentals, arabs, persians, dwarfs, disabled persons, or any other historically marginalised group.

Let's take a look at other leading companies in the games and entertainment industries: Steve Jobs from Apple, Steve Bulmer from Microsoft, Steve Fils-Aime from Nintendo, the list goes on. A lot of Steves, not a lot of Stephanies.
    In the entire Fortune 1000, women hold only 4.2% of CEO positions.
    It's a systemic problem, and certainly not one limited to Sony. The electronics and entertainment industries are dominated by men, and that's a fact. Just accept it and move on. And it certainly has nothing to do with the quality of a games console.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Don’t start a flame war, just a civilized discussion please.
    And then you call people idiots and biggots - what you meant to say was 'I'm great, all knowing and I want to rant not discuss'

On topic :
    1/ that's how marketing/buzz works - if they had released everything the same day, then what will they have to show at E3? - you tease products, you don't just send it all out - I don't see why it's important to know what it looks like now - I understand even less why it makes you look lazy...

2/ Tell you what - find a woman who is in the top layers of Sony/one of Sony's gaming affiliates and maybe you may find one on stage - oh maybe no-one is qualified for that position - oh and obviously that has the same knowledge as people on stage

3/Backwards compatibility - acutually it's not that easy with PC's, you often need emulators for older games - it adds price to console - so again no fail

4/ Consoles are different to PC's
    Console : hardware programmed - ONE function (play games) - programmers can actually make games that are optimised for the platform
    PC : most common denominator - relies on thousands of drivers - newest graphics cards cost the same price as a PS3 (if not more)

Console manufacturers need to die ... hum - I wonder why they don't? probably because PC gaming is a minority and the price to get into PC gaming is much higher - face it, if publishers spend so much money on console games and only port to PC, it is for good financial reasons (this coming from someone who also has a gaming PC)

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

The Playstation 4 was announced not long ago. While many Sony fanboys were ecstatic about this announcement I actually have a few issues to bring up. Sony seems to think that this console will have a better launch than the PS3’s, boy were they wrong. So many mistakes yet so early on.
    Firstly, what was with them not showing the console itself? It really did just look lazy on their behalf, I know they are ‘claiming’ that they need something to show at E3 but this is really just sad that they cant show more games or something. I can’t believe they couldn’t at least show a concept design. People need to know what the console itself looks like so they can know how large it is or where the I/O will be etc. I am disappointed by this fact alone.

Now, an issue that most men want to push under the rug, so women can clean it later, literally. Women at the event, where were they? I am saddened by the fact that such a modern company like Sony holds such sexist values. It sickens me.

No backwards compatibility? What were Sony thinking? This is such a huge setback. It is just terrible. I thought they would have learnt when people weren’t happy about the lack of compatibility on later PS3 models. I don’t see why Sony can’t just adopt the same principle that Windows and Mac have been using, where I can turn on my PC and play a game from yesterday, or a game from 10 years ago. Either way, Sony failed again with this one.

Now for the specs themselves, why are people even calling this a ‘next gen console’? Gaming PCs have had better hardware for years now, plus they can do a lot more. This is why the console industry needs to die, companies like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have it in a death lock and the amount of productivity happening is at snail pace. I hate to repeat myself but disappointing.
    So overall, this is going to be a failure. If Sony weren’t so stubborn and would actually make their platform open then I’m sure we would be having a different conversation at the moment.

This is my opinion. I am entitled to it so don't try and block it. Don’t start a flame war, just a civilized discussion please.

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

Negator

If I said 'OP is a fag', nobody would care, would they?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Nope.

Also...if I followed the OP's logic about why women weren't presenting, then that must mean I'm racist because I didn't vote for Obama.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Banned

I'll repeat myself. Go back to your swamp, bigot

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion619 View Post

Also...if I followed the OP's logic about why women weren't presenting, then that must mean I'm racist because I didn't vote for Obama.
    Wrong. Two completely different issues, idiot

Needz Trophy Card

I'll repeat myself. Go back to your swamp, bigot

Wrong. Two completely different issues, idiot
    kiss my black ass
    videogameman-If i was going to fuck my son, I'd kiss him first.
    Compalicious-in all fairness bodi, it is a bit on the big side
    bodigard-^^^that's what she said!

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by bodigard View Post
    kiss my black ass
    ^ This guy gets it.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Needz Trophy Card

^^ this guy already gets it

Lvl 3 - Bronze

o drunk to care sony is after money and yer pc will always have better graphics if you want to spend 500 bucks a year.
    "Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted"
    "Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito"

Needz Trophy Card

^^ this guy's english doesn't get it

Chocobo Master

Maybe the OP need a couple of "vagina" in there to get people's attention
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Steve Fils-Aime from Nintendo
    did you mean reggie? cuz thats his first name

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast