Nvidia: PS4's CPU "Low End", GPU "Low to Mid End" Compared to PC

This is a discussion on Nvidia: PS4's CPU "Low End", GPU "Low to Mid End" Compared to PC within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Nvidia compares PS4 specs to a 'low-end CPU' | News | TechRadar The PlayStation 4 announcement last month immediately led ...

INTJ

Nvidia: PS4's CPU "Low End", GPU "Low to Mid End" Compared to PC

Nvidia compares PS4 specs to a 'low-end CPU' | News | TechRadar

The PlayStation 4 announcement last month immediately led to a PS4 vs Xbox 720 debate, but perhaps Sony and Microsoft's next-generation consoles are competing for second place.

"Compared to gaming PCs, the PS4 specs are in the neighborhood of a low-end CPU, and a low- to mid-range GPU side," said Nvidia's Tony Tamasi to TechRadar.

As Nvidia's senior vice president of content and development, he sees the PS4's specs as outdated, even today.
    "If the PS4 ships in December as Sony indicated, it will only offer about half the performance of a GTX680 GPU (based on GFLOPS and texture), which launched in March 2012, more than a year and a half ago."
    It only gets worse

Tamasi also notes that consoles, by definition, are closed platforms and not upgradeable.
    "What you get today in terms of performance is what you're stuck with five - 10 years down the road. PCs don't have these problems," he told TechRadar.

"They are open and can be upgraded at any time to harness the power of newer GPUs for more performance and to take advantage of newer, modern graphics technologies."

The gap between console and PC gaming has become more apparent this console generation, and Tamasi expects more of the same when PS4 and Xbox 720 get here.

"If history predicts the future, then these next-generation consoles, while being more powerful than the current ones, will very quickly end up more than an order of magnitude behind the PC."

PS4 not worth the cost to Nvidia

The comments from the Nvidia senior vice president are noteworthy because they aren't just from an industry rival trying promote PC gaming vs PS4.

The remarks come from the same company that powers the PS3's graphics chip.

Nvidia isn't buying into the PS4, however. Sony announced specs that include an eight-core AMD processor and a custom Radeon GPU.

"I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tamasi told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay."

Instead, Tamasi said that Nvidia, with only so many engineers and so much capability, will be able to focus on another portion of its business that it wouldn't be able to if it did chips for Sony.

Nvidia's projects include delivering high-end graphics cards like the GeForce GTX Titan and supplying Apple computers with GPUs.

It's also looking to capture mobile processing with its Tegra 4i system on a chip for smartphones and tablets, and by releasing its own handheld gaming platform, Nvidia Project Shield.

since graphics capability matters to you all so much.

illegal in 9 countries

Sour grapes...AMD got the PS4 gig, not Nvidia, so it makes sense for them to poo-poo the specs.

Read Gauss' post re: PS4 specs in another recent topic. I trust his opinion more than some butt-hurt Nvidia exec.

Lord of all Goat-Men

If you actually read what he says, he's saying that in 5-10 years (which he thinks is the life of a console - clearly he's an idiot) the PS4 will no longer be competitive, as it has been since the dawn of consoles. This is nothing new.
    Typical PC elitist crap.
    Funny that he left out the cost factor...
    Yes, the GPU in the PS4 will be based on 2 year old tech by the time it launches at the end of the year, but as anyone that knows anything about console hardware will tell you, that won't be relevant. A GPU in your PC has to power your desktop and any background programs, on top of your game, all whilst negotiating the complex workings of your chosen OS. A console GPU, on the other hand, has only to deal with a bare-bones OS, and a game, and will be sharing 8gb of GDDR5 RAM.
    This guy is talking out of his ass, and it's pretty stupid of him considering nVidia have been out of the console market since the launch of the PS3.

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Sour grapes...AMD got the PS4 gig, not Nvidia, so it makes sense for them to poo-poo the specs.

Read Gauss' post re: PS4 specs in another recent topic. I trust his opinion more than some butt-hurt Nvidia exec.
    lol Exactly what I was going to say. They're pissy because AMD got a deal with them, and they made the money.

Du wirst geil

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Nvidia compares PS4 specs to a 'low-end CPU' | News | TechRadar

since graphics capability matters to you all so much.
    And you're the one feeding it to them....

Sure, the graphics look nice and all, but I'm more concerned about gameplay and the games. So no, your remark is pretty null and void.

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

Lvl 9 - Gold

its ps360 guys what else do you expect all i have to say is ps360 should move on to a community that gives a rats ass about what he thinks.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

anyone on their mind expected nvidia to make compliments to their rival (AMD) for getting their hardware on both consoles? obviously Nvidia is behaving a sour losers. on this route Nvidia will need a pretty good PR for damage control......... seems more like sudden rage and typical excuses to justify the fact they've been wiped out from console market as hardware providers....... ironic they dont say nothing about current gen, why? they use their hardware *cough* next gen doesn't so........now its horrible? hahahhahaah xD

Ice Cream Firefighter

That's funny because I have heard through my profession that the PS4 will out-do PC gaming for years. Like others have said it's just another butt hurt company that needs to slander another company that are going to do them out of billions over the next few years.

Toggle Spoiler

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Saints Row IV

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    lol Exactly what I was going to say. They're pissy because AMD got a deal with them, and they made the money.
    Excatly....Nvidia is pissed
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

PC Master Race reporting in...

Signature by DaRe_xLw

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    That's funny because I have heard through my profession that the PS4 will out-do PC gaming for years.
    you mean the just cause dev quote that makes no sense

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post

nvidia is kicking the ever loving shit out of amd in the pc market.

but hey, they got that deal with a game console thats obsolete the moment it comes out. they so jealous.

Rangers F.C

Going by some of the game videos I have seen , the PS4 " low end " graphics will do for me .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

DON'T BLINK

^^^

this right here

Lvl 3 - Bronze

To be honest, Nvidia's opinion is irrelevant to me. I just don't care.

The opinions I would actually like to know are the developers' opinions.

From what I've heard from developers so far, it's been positive.

I buy a console for the games available on it, not for its hardware specs!

God of War (2010/08/29) God of War II (2010/09/06) FIFA10 (2010/09/16) God of War III (2010/09/18) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2010/10/05) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010/10/11) Assassin's Creed II (2011/07/11) Trine 2 (2013/05/27) The Walking Dead (2013/07/15)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

so shouldn't everyone listen to the devs because they are making the games ? lasti heard nvidia dont make games they make hardware so cares what they think.

Avy and Sig By Pixie of Darkness

Lvl 9 - Gold

I would agree that it is fairly low end, its a radeon 7850 equivalent roughly from what I've read my guess was a 7870 when I first heard about it, I thought it might of been the laptop version of a 7970 but I guess the costs/return was to high to be worth making it like that.

Retired TrophyGuide Ninja

If using a PC for gaming purposes was an option I would care. lol

PRO Member

When I see these sort of threads mocking how the PS4 wont be as good as the highest end PC's I have one thought

So fucking what?

Seriously, I couldn't give a shit if it's not as technically powerful as a stupidly expensive PC, for the price what do you expect? Either way the PS4 graphics will make my eyes want to melt