Latest PS4 Info and specs

This is a discussion on Latest PS4 Info and specs within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Taken from GDC (All Official) -PS4 Friend Limit raised (no figure announced) -Have the ability to enable people seeing your ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Latest PS4 Info and specs

Taken from GDC (All Official)

-PS4 Friend Limit raised (no figure announced)

-Have the ability to enable people seeing your real name on the PS4. Auto-enabled if you import from another social network. (Can be turned off)

-All the PS4 streaming and sharing: that's on the hardware. Devs don't have to do anything special to their game

-PS4 Remote Play: Screens are mirrored on PS4/Vita (Both on at same time). Hardware does it, not devs. Start at any time; no special mode.

-About the PlayStation App. Login, buy game, PS4 starts downloading at home, you get home and start playing the part that's downloaded.

-PS4 will also charge controllers when it's off

-PS4 Controller colors are the Player Numbers: 1-Blue, 2-Red, 3-Green, 4-Pink (Like the symbol buttons)

-Camera has a dedicated port for the PS4 so it won't take up a USB port.

-User Interface gives you at a glance info about a game without loading it. See new DLC out, what friends are saying etc

- Core gamers are the primary focus. PS4 built around them.

- CPU: 64-bit x86 arch, low power consumption, low heat, 8 cores, 8 HW threads, 2MiB L2 cache per 4 core group, 32kib l1 I/D-cache

- PlayStation Shader Language, very similar to HLSL, allows featured BEYOND Direct X 11 and OpenGL 4.0

- GPU – Tessellation – adding geometric detail to smooth edges or create more organic shapes

- RAM – 8GB 256 bit GDDR5 (GDDR5 is very high end graphics memory only found on PC graphics cards)

- PS4 will have a “very large hard drive in every console.

- Debug your PS4 code as you would your PC code

- Speaker, headset jack and “extension port” on the PS4 controller

- Controller buttons are going back to digital over analog because no one used it on PS3

- PS4 Controller: 1920x900 resolution on the analog touchpad

- PS4 controller light bar can be used for muzzle flashes, health bars, etc.

- The PS4 Eye will enhance the PS4 user experience.” High sensitivity dual color cameras – 1280x800, 12 bits/pixel, 60Hz

Lvl 3 - Bronze

its all very interseting, but until its an actual system thats shown and when xbox talks ther stuff up, its all pretty irrelevent, dunno if anyone remembers all the bullshit that sony said the ps2 would do, in the yr b4 it came, what we got was not wat was hyped, sooooo , , until its all solid, not realy much point taking anything of face value!

Lvl 4 - Silver

My question is about the digital face buttons instead of the analog face buttons.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what i read analog buttons are pressure sensitive and digital are not.

If this is true how will this affect certain games like sports games where you hold a button for a certain length for a jump shot in basketball or the difference between a lob pass and a bullet in football.

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

What does mean by "very large hard drive in all consoles"? Is there going to be more than 1 type of PS3? 500GB and 1tb versions for example

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Gaming since PONG !

Quote Originally Posted by Creditdue View Post
    What does mean by "very large hard drive in all consoles"? Is there going to be more than 1 type of PS3? 500GB and 1tb versions for example
    Either way.... just buy the lowest priced one go buy a bigger HD ... just like PS3 ... well unless they make it to where ya cant get to em... but that would be just plain stupid

PRO Member

I'm sure that there will be at least 2 different hard drive sizes available at launch. I'm thinking your figures are probably close to accurate.

I would be very to be able to charge my controller while the system is off. I used to charge them through my cable box, but I got rid of cable and can only charge while my system is on now. I'm still hoping for the option to change PSN names

Prayer Warrior

if we get what's been promised thus far it'll be a great system. but with the launch so far away i'm almost certain they will add and delete so many things. i'm no sony fanboy by no means but if sony can deliver all thats been promised this far and the bad rumors about the next xbox are true like no used games and constant internet connection required to play then sony has a real chance to win the next generation of console wars before it even starts. hell they already have a hell of a head start. everyone knows by now the next xbox will use a blu ray drive disc player. well.....sony owns the patent for that tech so in order for Microsoft to be able to use it they have to pay royalties to sony. so essentially sony makes money for every next xbox sold. freaking brilliant.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lord of all Goat-Men

I'm actually betting that there is one console configuration: it will be 1tb or greater, and they'll ditch the fat32 format. Having more models available only creates indecision and confusion for your average consumer.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by RyJ32 View Post
    My question is about the digital face buttons instead of the analog face buttons.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what i read analog buttons are pressure sensitive and digital are not.

If this is true how will this affect certain games like sports games where you hold a button for a certain length for a jump shot in basketball or the difference between a lob pass and a bullet in football.
    Pressure sensitive yes, has nothing to do with how long you hold a button down for

NO game has used analog face buttons

Lvl 5 - Silver

How come no one mentions that every console will be shipped with its own headset? Is it really not that important?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by RyJ32 View Post

It will not affect length but it will affect pressure

Lvl 3 - Bronze

yea im thinkin theyl do wat they did with the last ps3 model too, NO CHANGABLE DRIVE, , , suky if they do, unless its a standard terrabyte

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by DanzP View Post
    Pressure sensitive yes, has nothing to do with how long you hold a button down for

NO game has used analog face buttons
    Gran Turismo 5 does.

Local Drunk

I've heard that the PS4 has a 4tb hard drive

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by DanzP View Post
    - Core gamers are the primary focus. PS4 built around them.
    This is in my opinion the best and most essential news. Sony has had a history with the evergrowing group of core gamers and I personally enjoy seeing them continue the streak... even if that does entail a few motion controls occasionally.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    I've heard that the PS4 has a 4tb hard drive
    If that's true then holy f*** that's a lot of space

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    yeah that's a shit ton of space but i hope it's hdd isn't that big cause that will effect the price tag. i would be happy with 1TB with the option to upgrade to something bigger and it be compatible rather it be internal or external. preferably internal of course.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Du wirst geil

Quote Originally Posted by ihulk5 View Post
    How come no one mentions that every console will be shipped with its own headset? Is it really not that important?
    This is because the controller will have a built-in speaker and microphone

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    Yeah, although if it is true it does add to the rumour of all games going digital.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies