Lead PS4 architect - "PS4 will have many launch titles; trying to replicate PS3 SPU"

This is a discussion on Lead PS4 architect - "PS4 will have many launch titles; trying to replicate PS3 SPU" within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony has been pushing the fact that the PS4 is incredibly simple to develop for. The console will be receiving ...

PRO Member

Lead PS4 architect - "PS4 will have many launch titles; trying to replicate PS3 SPU"

Sony has been pushing the fact that the PS4 is incredibly simple to develop for.

The console will be receiving many many titles at launch from first and third-party developers. One of the main reasons for this compared to the PS3 is that it is easier to create a game on the PS4.

Mark Cerny, lead architect of the system, revealed a lot of information to the Japanese press (translated via GAF), and we have some details of that now.

“This will also lead to the main difference with the PS3 era,” he said. “The main difference is, we will have many titles for launch. Because game development is easier, there shouldn’t be a barrier as there had been previously.

“PS3 had the image that it was difficult to develop for. Even the PS2 wasn’t that easy. PS4 has a PC CPU and a GPU that’s been enhanced from a PC so the game lineup should become very rich.”

He also revealed that they are trying to replicate the SPU Runtime System of the PS3. If you remember the SPUs were able to do little tasks very efficiently and at lightning speed, reducing the load off the GPU. Since the PS4 doesn’t have the Cell processor, there needs to be a different way achieve the same effect. Cerny explains how they are trying to accomplish this.

“We’re trying to replicate the SPU Runtime System (SPURS) of the PS3 by heavily customizing the cache and bus,” he said. ”SPURS is designed to virtualize and independently manage SPU resources. For the PS4 hardware, the GPU can also be used in an analogous manner as x86-64 to use resources at various levels.

“This idea has 8 pipes and each pipe(?) has 8 computation queues. Each queue can execute things such as physics computation middle ware, and other proprietorially designed workflows. This, while simultaneously handling graphics processing.”

He also mentioned that developers probably won’t be using this functionality early on in the PS4′s lifecycle but later on this could become an extremely important function.

The PS4 will be launched this holiday season and more information will be released at E3. Most developers reacted positively at PS4 specs, and majority of them praised the 8GB GDDR5 RAM of the system.
    Source: PS4 will have many launch titles; Trying to replicate PS3 SPU Runtime System – Cerny | Gamechup | Video Game News, Reviews, Features, Guides
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Indie Game Developer

Sounds pretty sick. I'm glad there's going to be a decent launch, although I'm mostly set on Killzone and Drive Club.
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

The One and Only

Easier to make a game on the PS4? Does that mean we don't need to worry about buggy Bethesda games and DLC delays anymore?

Anyway, this is some good news, thanks for posting it.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Prayer Warrior

well during the event they cast across the web last month they mentioned that the ps4 would have the most extensive launch collection out of any console in history and that they guaranteed that there would be multiple titles to peak every type of gamers interest. from third party to big blockbusters. so with that information alone i am excited.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    Easier to make a game on the PS4? Does that mean we don't need to worry about buggy Bethesda games and DLC delays anymore?

Well yeah its pretty much a PC architecture so Bethesda has no excuses this time.

I think it will result in better games overall if the devs actually work with it as it kind of reduces the amount of different things they have to work with from this generation in cross platform titles.

Breakfast and Chill

no more jokes from "friends" that the PS3 (or 4) "haz no gaemz".

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

I remember them stating this a while back, I just hope we have a better running xmb and ps store
    still not getting a ps4 til they have at least 7 games I really want
    i see the new line ups have a lot of FPS and genre I dont care for
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    no more jokes from "friends" that the PS3 (or 4) "haz no gaemz".
    Ps3 has more exclusives than Xbox, is that a joke?
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post

I think with Bethesda there will always be bugs but they make games so big and epic its ok , as long as there is not another Skyrim DLC disaster . With the way games like Infamous and Watchdog are looking the next Bethesda outing will be amazing ( Fallout 4 ) .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    Ps3 has more exclusives than Xbox, is that a joke?
    It is a joke for most of them now. Now the one just uses it to try and troll me, but a few years ago when we only had a few worthwhile games they used that CONSTANTLY .

-i- love myself.

Great news! I dig lotz of launch titles.

Thanks for posting this.

Ice Cream Firefighter

Through my work sources we should expect nothing less then 30 games come launch day.

What Sony is trying to work out with the developers is that every developer should have a major title out for the PS4's launch, which I think is a superb idea.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

PRO Member

Since I won't be getting a PS4 at launch I'll try not to miss those games when I buy it later

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    Through my work sources we should expect nothing less then 30 games come launch day.

What Sony is trying to work out with the developers is that every developer should have a major title out for the PS4's launch, which I think is a superb idea.
    That is a great idea.

I am also curious to see how many games that had late 2013 releases for PS3 will get a PS4 launch now also.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw