Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Epic: PlayStation 4 is like being given 'the world's best PC'

This is a discussion on Epic: PlayStation 4 is like being given 'the world's best PC' within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Epic Games vice president Mark Rein calls Sony's decision to use off-the-shelf PC components a "very smart move." Epic Games ...

illegal in 9 countries

Epic: PlayStation 4 is like being given 'the world's best PC'

Epic Games vice president Mark Rein calls Sony's decision to use off-the-shelf PC components a "very smart move."

Epic Games vice president Mark Rein has said Sony's upcoming PlayStation 4, which features a mix of off-the-shelf computer components, is like being given "the world's best PC."

"I think it's a very smart move on Sony's behalf to build this sort of enhanced PC architecture and then put so much in it," said Rein in an interview with CVG.

One of the chief positives for Rein is the PlayStation 4's 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. "Let's not forget it has 16 times the memory we had in PlayStation 3--that's not insignificant. Knowing that every machine has that…we can do crazy, ridiculous stuff with that."

"The other exciting thing is that… when you think about Windows, even Windows for most people is tied to about 2GB of addressable memory space. This really opens up beyond what most PCs can do, because most PCs are running a 32-bit version of Windows."

"It's like giving you the world's best PC," he added.

In terms of gaming, then, Rein was enthused. "The kind of stuff that they announced that they're doing, the level of convenience and things like that… they're making a really perfect gaming PC," he added.

Rein added that the next generation of consoles is about more than just adding extra specs to the hardware, though. "I've always said that the things in the next-generation that aren't just brute force hardware are all about the service and simplicity of the experience - the things that make it as fun and easy to get a PS4 game as it is to get a game on your iPad."

The PlayStation 4 is due for release later in 2013. At GDC last week, Epic released a new video of the Unreal Engine 4 running on Sony's new hardware - PlayStation 4 - Elemental Trailer (Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4) - GameSpot Video

Source: Epic: PlayStation 4 is like being given 'the world's best PC' - GameSpot.com

What's that you say? Unreal Engine 4 won't even run on Wii U? :sadface:

Let's recap - keep in mind this is the same guy quoted in both articles...

Epic Games president says next-gen technology won't be available for developers on Nintendo's latest console.

The Wii U will not receive Unreal Engine 4 support, creator Epic Games has confirmed. Kotaku asked vice president Mark Rein this week at the Game Developers Conference if the technology will be offered on Nintendo's latest console, to which he gave a blunt response.

"No," Rein said.

Rein further explained that the Unreal Engine 4 is targeted at next-generation consoles, which he does not consider the Wii U to be.

"Our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles. That's really what our energies are focused on," Rein said. "If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already."

Epic today released a new Unreal Engine 4 technology demo video called "Infiltrator" showing off what next-generation games using the engine could look like. It is embedded below.

The Wii U will also not run Electronic Arts' new Frostbite 3 engine, the technology behind DICE's upcoming military shooter Battlefield 4.

Eat shit and die Nintendo.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 04-04-2013 at 12:02 AM.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

That is good to hear! At this point, I would not be too concerned about its release day price, since it will be justified by all the amazing stuff that the PS4 will have coming for it in the future. We need a release date naw!
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Kiwi Defender

That's wonderful! Makes me believe it will actually sell for at least $600.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

In before the inevitable PS360 "but but but..."

Let's not forget the Nvidia Titan, a GPU that alone costs $1000+, only has 6GB of RAM

RAM clearly isn't everything and no doubt, a high-end PC featuring a Titan will slay any console, but in terms of performance bang-for-buck, it's pretty hard to top the PS4.

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    That's wonderful! Makes me believe it will actually sell for at least $600.
    i highly doubt sony will make that same mistake twice.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    i highly doubt sony will make that same mistake twice.
    Want to bet? With this specs, they totally can, and it'd be reasonable.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

#cutformesa

Reasonable and justified, yes, but hardly competitive. Given that many individuals and families are still trying to recover from the recent economic troubles, that wouldn't be a smart move. The simple truth is that many people can't afford to drop $600 on a new toy, no matter how many bells and whistles it comes with. Now, perhaps individual retailers might offer layaway/financing options akin to what Microsoft is currently offering with some models of the 360, but even then it's a huge commitment.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Lord of all Goat-Men

Sony has been at this long enough to know that they're going to take a loss on the console for the first few years. The smart thing is to get it out as quickly and as inexpensively as possible, and rely on the sale of their great games to turn a profit. Considering the launch lineup as we know it, that's exactly what they'll do.

Prayer Warrior

Yeah actually I do as a matter of fact. I guarantee it won't cost $600. If for no other reasons other than the ones posted above me. I'll bet you a $20 psn card.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Negator

Unreal Tournament IV.

I am ready.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Unreal Tournament IV.

I am ready.
    UT IV? You still haven't held my hand through Fear the Reaper in UT III. God knows I'm too incompetent to do it myself...

Rangers F.C

Yeah actually I do as a matter of fact. I guarantee it won't cost $600. If for no other reasons other than the ones posted above me. I'll bet you a $20 psn card.
    I don't know anything about specs and tech but I would be delighted if it is $600/397 or under . The Xi piston is like a $1000 ( no point in this just buy a PC ) so as long as Sony is way cheaper than the new systems being made and close to the 720 , it will still be very competitive . The Wii U was very cheap but I am a great believer in you only get what you pay for , I would only start to ask questions about the PS4 if it were above the 500 mark , which I doubt it will be .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

DON'T BLINK

I still think it's gonna be $399 but that is just me

Platinum Dohvakiin

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    I still think it's gonna be $399 but that is just me
    I'm actually expecting it to be closer to $499 or $549 to be honest.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 8 - Gold

i would make the same bet also,the ps4 will cost no where near as much to produce as the ps3 did.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    In before the inevitable PS360 "but but but..."

Let's not forget the Nvidia Titan, a GPU that alone costs $1000+, only has 6GB of RAM

RAM clearly isn't everything and no doubt, a high-end PC featuring a Titan will slay any console, but in terms of performance bang-for-buck, it's pretty hard to top the PS4.
    The titan is really more for media than for gaming anyway, a GTX 690 would be far better for gaming in most cases. but yeah the card in the ps4 isnt that great by any means, they can just push it further than they could if it was a PC of the same specs.
    The hardware for the ps4 is a lot more on the lower end compared to the ps3 was on release so I don't think it will cost quite as much as some people are saying.

INTJ

i noticed the only reason everyone keeps saying this is because they bitch about the Windows OS ram usage.

Johnathan Blow (the witness) did the same thing.

i understand that point, but Doesn't the PS4 OS Bog down the memory too in the same way? I mean it records video/can livestream online/and does a bunch of internet interaction at the same time. that should take as much ram if not more than Windows 8's 2 GB space since it does basically the same exact thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    The titan is really more for media than for gaming anyway, a GTX 690 would be far better for gaming in most cases. but yeah the card in the ps4 isnt that great by any means, they can just push it further than they could if it was a PC of the same specs.
    The hardware for the ps4 is a lot more on the lower end compared to the ps3 was on release so I don't think it will cost quite as much as some people are saying.
    Titan is for stability while the 680 and 690 are ment for high speed gaming.

but if you have three titans through some sort of black magic that makes it the best computer in the world right now.

Until Nvidia Unveils the 700 series that is later this year.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    i noticed the only reason everyone keeps saying this is because they bitch about the Windows OS ram usage.

Johnathan Blow (the witness) did the same thing.

i understand that point, but Doesn't the PS4 OS Bog down the memory too in the same way? I mean it records video/can livestream online/and does a bunch of internet interaction at the same time. that should take as much ram if not more than Windows 8's 2 GB space since it does basically the same exact thing.

Titan is for stability while the 680 and 690 are ment for high speed gaming.

but if you have three titans through some sort of black magic that makes it the best computer in the world right now.

Until Nvidia Unveils the 700 series that is later this year.
    Yeah people seemed to think the titan was some almighty gaming GPU when it was announced unless they actually knew about graphics stuff.
    (I dont claim to know a heap about it now my PC days were in the late 90s early '00s its changed a bit since then lol.)
    Its heaps quieter/less power use than a gtx690 as well as far as I recall.

I remember reading an article saying that the PS will use 1-2GB or so in its other processes and 6-7GB for the game side of things for the rest but who knows how that will turn out in the end.

One major difference between PCs and the PS4 will be that the PC has its actual RAM seperate from its video RAM and the PS4s 8Gb is for everything basically.
    Some people commenting on Ps4 dont seem to take this into account.

I wonder if AMD will step up their power a bit on the 8000 series to compete with the 700 series from Nvidia or are they going to be content with their deals with Sony and most likely Microsoft for their consoles..

The 7000 series only seemed to gain a bit of traction once they got the updates recently they didn't fare to well when they were released lol.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

PS4 TO PLAY PACMAN HD xD

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    The 7000 series only seemed to gain a bit of traction once they got the updates recently they didn't fare to well when they were released lol.
    AMD is shit in GPU and CPU but in other things they are better than nvidia simply because nvidia doesn't focus in those markets (SPU's for example, which is what the PS4 uses).

not to mention Nvidia has the Gabe Newell Equivalent running them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast