Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thief will be locked at 30 FPS on Ps4

This is a discussion on Thief will be locked at 30 FPS on Ps4 within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Thief Will Be Locked At 30fps On PS4, Xbox 720 If you were hoping for 1080p, 60fps and unbridled amounts ...

INTJ

Thief will be locked at 30 FPS on Ps4

Thief Will Be Locked At 30fps On PS4, Xbox 720

If you were hoping for 1080p, 60fps and unbridled amounts of massive physics-based destruction for the early goings of next-gen games, think again. Eidos Montreal has put a pickle in the gears of expectations, knocking down the hopes and dreams of gamers by a peg, after acknowledging that Thief 4 will be relegated to 30fps.

In an interview with Videogamer.com, Eidos Montreal producer Stephane Roy told them that while working on Thief for next generation consoles the priority has not been 60fps but rather, 30fps with a lot of physics-based effects, saying...

"For a shooter it's a no-brainer. The higher the frame rate is, the better it is."..."On my side, the type of game I'm going to work on... I don't want to put extra pressure on the team just because we can do it if it's not a necessity. If the players see nothing different, maybe I would prefer to have better physics and stuff like that and not this 60 frames per second frame rate."

tl;dr

just buy a pc if you want 60+fps 1080p Thief.

because 60FPS gaming = bliss

illegal in 9 countries

That says nothing at all about the next generation console capabilities. If anything it says "we're being cautious to make sure our game works".

I don't want to put extra pressure on the team just because we can do it if it's not a necessity.
    <snip>
    If the players see nothing different, maybe I would prefer to have better physics and stuff like that and not this 60 frames per second frame rate."
    Bingo.

It'll be a launch title for next-gen consoles, so they're unsure yet of the full capabilities. It doesn't say 60FPS can't be done, it's just that it's not necessary.

The only sane person here

Honestly I don't see a difference between 30 and 60 FPS, unless you're a video graphics whore

-i- love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by KingLazy View Post
    Honestly I don't see a difference between 30 and 60 FPS, unless you're a video graphics whore
    Lol same here.

Angel of Death

I see a difference, I just don't care. PS4 will still be cheaper than a really good PC, plus much more convenient.

Ghost Assassin

There is a difference between the two settings, but it doesn't drastically alter gameplay and you probably won't notice after playing for a while. Here is a gif I found to do a small test. Try to guess which side has a higher fps.

Toggle Spoiler

As ant1 pointed out the console still hasn't been tested to the limit and they would rather focus on refining the mechanics of the game. However, it would be nice if they had a frame unlock option like bioshock.

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    There is a difference between the two settings, but it doesn't drastically alter gameplay and you probably won't notice after playing for a while. Here is a gif I found to do a small test. Try to guess which side has a higher fps.

Toggle Spoiler

As ant1 pointed out the console still hasn't been tested to the limit and they would rather focus on refining the mechanics of the game. However, it would be nice if they had a frame unlock option like bioshock.
    I barely notice a difference here.

But anyway, 30fps, 60fps, both look good to me so it doesn't make a difference which one the game uses.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I barely notice a difference here.

But anyway, 30fps, 60fps, both look good to me so it doesn't make a difference which one the game uses.
    Really? The left one is smoother. 60fps is very noticeable when there's a lot of things happening on the screen - you can clearly see the difference between DMC on the PC and PS3/360.

IF (big if) Thief 4 does release on next-gen consoles with 30fps, it won't be a big deal because the pacing of the game is quite slow.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I don't care about the graphics; they don't have to be perfect, 30fps will look good enough, i just want a good story and amazing gameplay.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Glad I'll be playing it on the PC then, playing it on a console would be agonizing.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

INTJ

60 FPS gives you better reaction timing

Which is kinda essential to stealth games and other games that depend on timing

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    60 FPS gives you better reaction timing

Which is kinda essential to stealth games and other games that depend on timing
    Ah no...it's not essential to creeping up on sleepy AI. It's beneficial to twitch-based online shooter MP, as long as your connection is also lag-free. Otherwise, it makes sweet fuck all difference and is no scenario is 60FPS considered absolutely essential.

I'll reiterate - they didn't say it wasn't possible because they clearly state that it is. They're saying for a slow-paced game like Thief there's no significant benefit, so why waste resources on 60FPS when 30FPS will do the job?

The Last of my Kind

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

Lvl 7 - Gold

If you're not playing at 240 then you're not playing at the max. 60 has been a standard since the early 90s. It's piss poor old. Step up your game graphic-whores.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    If you're not playing at 240 then you're not playing at the max. 60 has been a standard since the early 90s. It's piss poor old. Step up your game graphic-whores.
    240 is the dream that will never come true till years later when the game is old

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    -bad comparison-
    better comparison

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Rangers F.C

Games running in full 1080p was my only concern and they are doing that from the get go , I understand you are a Nintendo fan and I like your threads mate but this honestly seems like clutching at straws , the PS4 is going to be massive I honestly think it will destroy the competition this time round .
    Its a sure thing PC are going to be better at some point but the truth is most decent games are designed for console , PC requires constant upgrades and patches , you need to update drivers and all sorts , even with a beast of a PC you still come across games that should but don't run well , as for Nintendo they have clearly shown they do not have the technology to compete with the top two consoles anymore , Nintendo is a kids toy at best now and does not appeal to adults .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Retired

Better to have the game than to not have the game at all.

Hint hint.

Lvl 9 - Gold

FPS not as high as it gets? No! APOCALYPSE.

Please oh please you graphics people are why the gaming industry is more about looks than fun nowadays.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    Sure, I give a shit about 240 FPS when 30 and 60 look perfectly fine for me. :stare:

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

PRO Member

Would I like to have 60 fps? sure. Do I mind the fact that this game won't be in 60 fps but rather 30? no, not at all, 30 looks just fine.
    Besides the way I read this article its not like the PS4 won't be able to run games in 60 fps 1080p the game designers just chose to play it safe on this one

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast