Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

8 GB of Ram can lead to Terrible sloppy unoptimized Coding

This is a discussion on 8 GB of Ram can lead to Terrible sloppy unoptimized Coding within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Encorporeus You guys are forgetting something. Yes, the RAM is GDDR5 (really it's graphics memory, not computing ...

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    You guys are forgetting something. Yes, the RAM is GDDR5 (really it's graphics memory, not computing memory) but it's being optimized in such a way that replaces the CPU workload due to it being shared. The GTX Titan graphics card, which is valued at approx. $1000, comes with 4GB of GDDR5. What you guys are missing is that the PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 and it's being used for the entire OS for processing, graphics etc. Also, the OS isn't even close to half of the amount of RAM it will need (PS4) comparing it to an OS like Windows.
    Lol...
    Someone needs to go and read what RAM does.

Also, while yes, it is GDDR RAM, it is unified system memory, meaning it functions much like regular DDR2 or 3.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Hopefully ant won't have another half dozen kids and be there to use the horrible misused quotes for lols of everybody on the site.
    Oh, I'll be here, I have the memory of an elephant and enough kids for 4-player co-op. Unless the next-gen bumps it to 8-player, I'm done with breeding.

Expect shits and giggles at doodles' expense you God damn mother fucking prophet

PRO Member

So in a nutshell the article's just common sense, the massive leap in terms of RAM from PS3 > PS4 creates the potential problem of younger developers not making the most of it / cutting corners, whilst the big boys come in and utilize as much as possible

Lvl 3 - Bronze

that was sony's original concept with the ps3, hard hardware to force developers to code good and minimize shovel ware which worked mostly
    there's not that much shovel ware on ps3 compared to wii lets say...
    still I find this japanese superiority complex of theirs really annoying

Lvl 3 - Bronze

It's called progress.

Remember 10 years ago when 512MB RAM was the recommended PC system requirement? Now the standard is around 4GB RAM.

The same issues were apparent back in those days, where the lazy developers wouldn't optimise their games because 512MB was much more than they needed...

It's business as usual as far as I am concerned, nothing new here... there will always be lazy developers.

God of War (2010/08/29) God of War II (2010/09/06) FIFA10 (2010/09/16) God of War III (2010/09/18) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2010/10/05) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010/10/11) Assassin's Creed II (2011/07/11) Trine 2 (2013/05/27) The Walking Dead (2013/07/15)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by SirWaWa View Post
    that was sony's original concept with the ps3, hard hardware to force developers to code good and minimize shovel ware which worked mostly
    there's not that much shovel ware on ps3 compared to wii lets say...
    still I find this japanese superiority complex of theirs really annoying
    What superiority complex? :stare:

Lvl 3 - Bronze

this is why you should only buy games from capable publishers :S

Lvl 7 - Gold

let just hope they don't get lazy lol

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    There's going to be idiots who can't code properly.
    And there are going to be idiots that post stuff like this.

No, wait. It's just you.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Will there be games where coders will take short cuts or are lazy.... of course.

But for it to be considered a generation of lazy game creators you need to have the majority of games experience this problem. If you take pride in your work, are giving adequate time to design and care about making quality games this isn't shouldn't be a problem.

It's fine to discuss this and have differing opinions but until this actually becomes a widespread issue I for one won't be getting my panties in a bunch.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

at least PS4 will catch up with PC, but this time with get the our "daily bread" aka unoptimized games xD make sense when resources are limited that devs put alot more effort into, when you've plenty they easily became sloppy .....

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    I think you're being a little harsh with the guy. He's absolutely right that there will always be people that mess it up.
    Oh, no, trust me - I was way too easy on him. You have to understand that this is number 3 billion (give or take) in a long line of posts by Ps360 that do nothing but up his post count and bash Sony.

Will there be people who won't code well in this generation? Sure. But this thread is nothing more or less than Ps360 sitting around and thinking "how can I make 8 GB of GDDR5 sound like a bad thing?"

PRO Member

a vast increase in RAM is something to be worried about??
    I think the devs will be able to get more work done now that they dont have to cater their code to restricted amounts of RAM.
    A game doesnt need that much RAM anyway. Im interested in what features the OS may offer to justify such a large amount of memory. 8gigs is enough to make the ps4 do pretty much anything your desktop can do, so i wonder how much functionality they will actually add into the OS.
    Steaming pile of helpful tips

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Pretty much every console game released near the end of the console life looks better than a launch title. As the developers become accustomed to the machine, the games start to look better because the code is more efficient. So ya, near the beginning of the PS4's life, the code won't be as efficient. But down the road as games start to get more demanding I'm sure the code will follow suit. So this is nothing new. And it will be nice to see the graphics and technical side to PS4 games progress over time. It keeps us interested in new material, while using the same machine.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Erez747 View Post
    Pretty much every console game released near the end of the console life looks better than a launch title. As the developers become accustomed to the machine, the games start to look better because the code is more efficient. So ya, near the beginning of the PS4's life, the code won't be as efficient. But down the road as games start to get more demanding I'm sure the code will follow suit. So this is nothing new. And it will be nice to see the graphics and technical side to PS4 games progress over time. It keeps us interested in new material, while using the same machine.
    So, you're suggesting that since the PS4 will be built around a PC architecture, the launch games will be sub-par.

Makes since to me, since nobody is familiar with coding PC games.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    So, you're suggesting that since the PS4 will be built around a PC architecture, the launch games will be sub-par.

Makes since to me, since nobody is familiar with coding PC games.
    No, what I'm saying is PS4 games will look better at the end of the PS4 life cycle. Just like PS3 games look better now than what they did at PS3's launch. PS2 and PS1 were the same too. The games will still look amazing at launch and for it's time it will be above par for what games look like at the time, but they will look even better at the end of it's console cycle.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

As long as it plays good to fantastic games that work like they should then they can use whatever RAM they like.
    Sloppy, rushed work on games is not exactly a new concept, there will be faults no doubt, mostly they will be easy fixes, the worst offenders will probably tank a few more studios who didn't heed the warnings, the circle of gaming life will carry on.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Erez747 View Post
    No, what I'm saying is PS4 games will look better at the end of the PS4 life cycle. Just like PS3 games look better now than what they did at PS3's launch. PS2 and PS1 were the same too. The games will still look amazing at launch and for it's time it will be above par for what games look like at the time, but they will look even better at the end of it's console cycle.

Yes, games normally peak towards the end of a console's life, but that's because, in the past, games consoles have been unique systems, and devs spend years optimising code and learning to squeeze out more and more performance. The PS4 changes that because it is, for all intents and purposes, a PC - a 'console' that devs are more than familiar with. The games will look better and better as the years go by, but that will have little-to-nothing to do with the PS4 itself.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Yes, games normally peak towards the end of a console's life, but that's because, in the past, games consoles have been unique systems, and devs spend years optimising code and learning to squeeze out more and more performance. The PS4 changes that because it is, for all intents and purposes, a PC - a 'console' that devs are more than familiar with. The games will look better and better as the years go by, but that will have little-to-nothing to do with the PS4 itself.
    Only downside is that apparently most of the developers (I think even the sony owned ones) never knew they were getting 8GB and they were going to be working with 4, until after they have pretty much finished making the games for ps4 unless they have some time too make it work a bit better with twice the ram in mind which hopefully they do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12