PS4 news: Sony planning to release ‘fantastic design’ console at private event?

This is a discussion on PS4 news: Sony planning to release ‘fantastic design’ console at private event? within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS4 News: Sony Planning to Release PS4 news reports are buzzing with release date, price and specs speculations about Sony’s ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

PS4 news: Sony planning to release ‘fantastic design’ console at private event?

PS4 News: Sony Planning to Release

PS4 news reports are buzzing with release date, price and specs speculations about Sony’s new console. Recent reports suggest that the Japanese Conglomerate might be planning for an unveiling before the E3 at a private event. Sony has announced the existence of the next-generation console in February, but held back it’s unveiling.
    The release date of PS4 has been the subject of discussion among many gaming forums and blogs, but there is still no confirmation about the reveal, however, sources suggest that Sony might be planning a May disclosure of its new console. Microsoft is rumoured to unveil the Xbox 720 at E3, but some reports suggest a private event unveiling.
    PS4 specs have again become an active part of the discussion as GameStop president, Tony Bartel, stated that PS4 will support used games. There has been a lot of talk about Sony’s stand on the support for used games on its next-gen console, but the firm is yet to give an official statement.
    The release date rumours of PS4 continue to grow as the firm provides little details about the device.Talking about the design of the console, Sony Worldwide Studios vice president, Michael Denny said, “I’m not sure it’s instructive for me to start trying to describe or talk about what I’ve seen or haven’t seen in terms of the actual look of the box. But yeah, you know it’s going to be another fantastic design and we can’t wait to reveal it.
    ”Another Sony executive stated that PS4 is not the successor of PS3, but an addition to the PlayStation family. Reports about the availability of the console in one of the regions for the Western holiday season have also been rampant among the gaming community.

PRO Member

Okay this is way too smart for Sony. Think about it. Sony has all of the momentum right now because they announced in February. Microsoft is planning to announce in May sometime. They will have the momentum then for what? A week? Then Sony comes out and has the momentum going into E3. Sony typically has better E3s than Microsoft too so Sony could easily have double the momentum.

Sig by Bladia

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    Okay this is way too smart for Sony. Think about it. Sony has all of the momentum right now because they announced in February. Microsoft is planning to announce in May sometime. They will have the momentum then for what? A week? Then Sony comes out and has the momentum going into E3. Sony typically has better E3s than Microsoft too so Sony could easily have double the momentum.
    Microsoft has plenty of momentum already. By not releasing any information they've spurred immeasurable speculation and buzz around their new console. As I see it, the playing field is still even until we have concrete information on both devices.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Microsoft has plenty of momentum already. By not releasing any information they've spurred immeasurable speculation and buzz around their new console. As I see it, the playing field is still even until we have concrete information on both devices.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. I have specific things I know to be facts that I am excited for in the PS4 which is more than I have on the XBOX720 because all it has is rumors. Microsoft can achieve an even playing field or take the lead on momentum, if it matches or does a better job at its reveal. Not to mention that much of the speculation and buzz related to XBOX's new console has been predominantly negative even by XBOX enthusiasts. Until XBOX confirms actual things, SONY is leading the charge on next-gen consoles, at least for now in my mind.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

I really haven't heard much at all about the new Xbox whatever, but I've heard quite a bit about the new PS4. That may give them more steam in the engines for the PS4/Xbox 720 release than they had for the Xbox 360/PS3 release. I've stuck with Sony since the PS til now and maybe I'm a fanboy but I think there is still a lot more to be excited about for the new PS4 than the new Xbox. Maybe Ricky Bobby was right when he said "If you're not first, you're last." when it comes to the console wars. It proved true for the current gen of consoles, for a long time, and as long as we live in an era of instant gratification I believe that saying will hold true.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    I have specific things I know to be facts that I am excited for in the PS4
    Exactly what information do you have that the rest of us don't have?

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix
    Much of the speculation and buzz related to XBOX's new console has been predominantly negative even by XBOX enthusiasts.
    Buzz is buzz. Everyone knows negative publicity spreads faster anyway, so in that aspect alone, XBOX is at the very least keeping up with PS4 in terms of speculation.

I haven't said either has won, but we really don't have enough information on either device to really call a clear winner. The only thing we can say for sure is Nintendo is (still) fucked.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    I disagree wholeheartedly. I have specific things I know to be facts that I am excited for in the PS4 which is more than I have on the XBOX720 because all it has is rumors. Microsoft can achieve an even playing field or take the lead on momentum, if it matches or does a better job at its reveal. Not to mention that much of the speculation and buzz related to XBOX's new console has been predominantly negative even by XBOX enthusiasts. Until XBOX confirms actual things, SONY is leading the charge on next-gen consoles, at least for now in my mind.
    I'm not religious or anything, but amen brother.

Platinum Dohvakiin

Actually I wouldn't say the playing field is even, close maybe but Sony has an advantage over Microsoft. Yea the new Xbox has some hype around it, but most if not all of it is still based on rumors and not many actual facts. Most of the new Xbox details are speculative at best. Sony beat MS to the punch and has the lead for next gen consoles at the moment. Virtually everyone thought that MS would unveil theirs at E3, and Sony would do the same. The early announcement of the PS4 in Feb caught most people by surprise.
    Even if Sony unveils the actual console in May before MS announces theirs. Even if MS does a full disclose and show the actual console at their event. They are still playing catch up to Sony. Simply because Sony tipically puts on a better E3 showing than MS does. And if Sony does what I think they might do at E3, which is have actual playable demos for the crowd. And not what MS usually does and have mainly stage demos or closed demos for press only. Than the PS4 will more than likely out sell the 720 when they launch.
    The way things are shaping up. Sony is playing an aggressive campaign for next gen sales. It's safe to say that they've learn from their mistakes in launching the PS3 after the 360. This time around if Sony keeps going this way, they look like the are playing for keeps.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

Buzz is buzz. Everyone knows negative publicity spreads faster anyway, so in that aspect alone, XBOX is at the very least keeping up with PS4 in terms of speculation.

The only thing we can say for sure is Nintendo is (still) fucked.
    I don't know about the new Xbox still being on even terms. I don't consider myself very familiar with the goings on in the next gen console war but everything I've seen, heard, or read on the next Xbox, from all types of sources, gaming related and not, has been pretty negative where conversely everything I've heard about the new PS4 has been mostly positive. I account some of it to the "If you're not first, you're last" rule and some of it to personal bias, but if all you hear is negative at least some of it must ring true.

I agree that Nintendo is (still) fucked though, lol.

Rangers F.C

I am pretty sure I will get a PS4, but Microsoft's console will be a good console too. It is far too early to write them off, they have come up with the goods on there last two consoles. Whether you prefer Sony or not the Xbox was equal to the PS2, the 360 was equal to the PS3, the only thing that separated them was exclusive games which Sony won . I think that in terms of power they will be just as evenly matched as before but Sony will still have the better games .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 3 - Bronze

There was this post a month back giving a much more detail description of the PS4, the new PS4 controller and the new camera that will be released at the same time.
    Sony dives deep into the PS4’s hardware power, controller features at GDC | Ars Technica

I build PC's for myself and friends.
    After looking at the PS4's components, also knowing Sony will want to keep production costs down, and also being well versed in the knowledge that Sony like to make their products as compact as possible, I can't help but get a worried feeling that if ventilation with the PS4 is not given a bigger priority than it was with the PS3's design, then we might be in for a round of first generation PS4 failures 12 to 18 months down the track, just as what happened with the original FAT PS3's.

I know the FAT PS3's died because of the lousy "Green" solder used to put the CPU/GPU to the motherboard, but I'm rekoning that the new CPU/GPU are going to run quite a bit hotter than those in the PS3.
    Water cooling or using passive heat transferring pipes from the CPU/GPU are not a option on a massed produced item like a PS4 for a multitude of reasons.
    So, I think that the PS4's casing might NEED to be quite a bit larger than previous Playstations, even accounting for a SS HD being fitted instead of a disc based HD [about the size of a medium sized surround amp] if Sony want to keep the possibility of heat failure rearing it's ugly head.

They might be able to get around this to a small degree because of their ability to have the whole design custom made, but they know that eventually it's very likely both the CPU/GPU's are going to be run hard and for long periods during frantic heavy gaming sessions, so either more space around the components or heaps of fans moving a lot of air into the case > through it> then out the other side are going to be essential.

Saints Row IV

This is smart on sony's part
    I think they will not do the same mistake they did with PS3
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    There was this post a month back giving a much more detail description of the PS4, the new PS4 controller and the new camera that will be released at the same time.
    Sony dives deep into the PS4’s hardware power, controller features at GDC | Ars Technica

I build PC's for myself and friends.
    After looking at the PS4's components, also knowing Sony will want to keep production costs down, and also being well versed in the knowledge that Sony like to make their products as compact as possible, I can't help but get a worried feeling that if ventilation with the PS4 is not given a bigger priority than it was with the PS3's design, then we might be in for a round of first generation PS4 failures 12 to 18 months down the track, just as what happened with the original FAT PS3's.

I know the FAT PS3's died because of the lousy "Green" solder used to put the CPU/GPU to the motherboard, but I'm rekoning that the new CPU/GPU are going to run quite a bit hotter than those in the PS3.
    Water cooling or using passive heat transferring pipes from the CPU/GPU are not a option on a massed produced item like a PS4 for a multitude of reasons.
    So, I think that the PS4's casing might NEED to be quite a bit larger than previous Playstations, even accounting for a SS HD being fitted instead of a disc based HD [about the size of a medium sized surround amp] if Sony want to keep the possibility of heat failure rearing it's ugly head.

They might be able to get around this to a small degree because of their ability to have the whole design custom made, but they know that eventually it's very likely both the CPU/GPU's are going to be run hard and for long periods during frantic heavy gaming sessions, so either more space around the components or heaps of fans moving a lot of air into the case > through it> then out the other side are going to be essential.

Well I can tell you that my original "fat" 60GB PS3 lasted me 5 years, 10 months. It isn't really about the quality of the solder, it's about how you use the system. If you cram it in a drawer or something, it has hardly any air in that space - however (for example) if you leave it with an open space, then it has a ton of ventilation. Also other factors are taken to account like whether it overheated at all, how dusty the cover gets etc.

I'm not troubled about how the ventilation for the PS4 will be, though I have no doubt that it should have better ventilation.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'm well aware of possible overheating a console by putting it in a cabinet without adequate ventilation, that's why it was always kept free standing from day 1, and sitting on Vibrapods [specialized anti-vibration feet for good measure]
    By the way, the worldwide failures of FAT 60gb and 40gb consoles was mainly due to a "Green" lead free solder Sony developed to meet the requirements of the then new European environment and safety regulations that came in force late 2006.

When your FAT would die would depend on how many shut down/ start up cycles it went through before failure.
    It was the heating up of the solder during operation [expanding the solder], then cooling down again once shut down [solder contraction] that caused the cracks in the solder to happen, once these cracks reached a certain stage the CPU or GPU chips would lose contact with the motherboard and no signals would pass = dead console.

Sony never took responsibility for what was in reality a faulty product.
    I'm really surprised a class action didn't eventuate from the mass failures to be honest
    It probably would of been the death of Sony if one had gone ahead.

Sony just changed the solder formulation for the remainder of the run of FAT's and then phased them out and released the slim.

My guess at the moment on what might be the weak point in a PS4?
    Going by construction qualities of electronic goods coming out of China at present, it will probably be unstable/ faulty power supplies, that's if these are actually built in China.
    If they are sourced elsewhere and just assembled in China things should be ok.

The thing is, every day we are getting more info on the PS4 and how the PS3 will continue to remain in Sony's roster, much like the PS2 did with the PS3.
    Except this time you will have the PS4, PS3 and the VITA all being able to communicate with each other via the PSN.

So apart from PS4 exclusives, I don't think there is any need to rush out and buy a PS4

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    It isn't really about the quality of the solder
    Actually, it's entirely about the quality of the solder.

illegal in 9 countries

Actually, it's entirely about the quality of the solder.
    This. Fat PS3s used lead-free solder, which had trouble dealing with the heat / cool cycles and caused the connections between components to crack, leading to YLoD.

Slims use a lead-based solder, which all but eliminates the overheating issues of the PS3 and wiped YLoD off the map.

It IS entirely about the solder. Every other hardware-related PS3 issue is minor in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I reckon Sony learned its lesson from the Fats. The leap in terms of power consumption and heating from PS2 to PS3 will be larger than the gap between the PS3 and the PS4.

Also, PC components are far more power-efficient these days and system temperatures have decreased over the years despite increased power output, so it's less of a problem when dealing with known third-party components than testing the waters with the Cell processors.

Sony has close to 6 years of data in terms of how people use their PS3 and have deployed multiple redesign iterations for the various Fat, Slim and Superslim models, so I tend to think they're much better equipped to handle the PS4 chassis design than they were for the launch of the PS3.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

All I can say is that it seems that the PS4 has taken many opinions into account, specifically that of developers'. Hopefully it's an overall package that learns from the mistakes of its predecessors and takes into account developers and gamers alike. It looks like they will continue to have a strong lineup of games so I think we'll have a great generation of exclusives and cross-play available for the PS4; I only hope that they can keep this momentum going.

I am curious to see Microsoft's reveal; aesthetics aside, I'd like for them to bridge the gap in momentum and make this a two-horse race. Competition breeds innovation and I think we've all been spoiled in recent years with some amazing games. Hopefully that continues for the PS4 and Vita.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Sony need to work out Crossplay implementation between games better if you take Wipeout 2048/Wipeout HD as an example.

The big problem there is that Wipeout 2048 doesn't have any in game customizable controls of Wipeout HD.
    You basically NEED this ability to tweak the controls so you can control the craft at Phantom speed around HD, not having it available in Crossplay leaves you at a distinct disadvantage when playing online multiplayer from a VITA.

Since online multiplayer was what Crossplay was built for this is a pivotable omission.

I suspect PS3/VITA system updates have been planned to allow some form of Crossplay between existing PS3 console owners and new PS4 consoles.
    The questions yet to be answered are, will these system updates allow full Dualshock 4 control support on a PS3?

If so, I can see the situation where things are the reverse of the Wipeout 2048/HD VITA/PS3 situation.

Where it might end up, how much of a disadvantage are PS3 players going to have with the much less available system RAM available for controller functions when playing games in Crossplay against PS4/VITA players?

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    This. Fat PS3s used lead-free solder, which had trouble dealing with the heat / cool cycles and caused the connections between components to crack, leading to YLoD.

Slims use a lead-based solder, which all but eliminates the overheating issues of the PS3 and wiped YLoD off the map.

It IS entirely about the solder. Every other hardware-related PS3 issue is minor in comparison.

I reckon Sony learned its lesson from the Fats. The leap in terms of power consumption and heating from PS2 to PS3 will be larger than the gap between the PS3 and the PS4.

Also, PC components are far more power-efficient these days and system temperatures have decreased over the years despite increased power output, so it's less of a problem when dealing with known third-party components than testing the waters with the Cell processors.

Sony has close to 6 years of data in terms of how people use their PS3 and have deployed multiple redesign iterations for the various Fat, Slim and Superslim models, so I tend to think they're much better equipped to handle the PS4 chassis design than they were for the launch of the PS3.
    The ps4 has about half the power consumption of the ps3 from what I have read so there should be a heap less heat involved the parts are on much smaller die compared to the ps3 so that should help a fair bit in the overheating department.