Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mark Cerny: PS4 Will have the strongest title launch in Playstation history

This is a discussion on Mark Cerny: PS4 Will have the strongest title launch in Playstation history within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony: PS4 will have strongest launch lineup in PlayStation history - GameSpot.com The PlayStation 4 will have the strongest software ...

INTJ

Mark Cerny: PS4 Will have the strongest title launch in Playstation history

Sony: PS4 will have strongest launch lineup in PlayStation history - GameSpot.com

The PlayStation 4 will have the strongest software launch lineup in PlayStation history. That's according to lead system architect Mark Cerny, who told Gamasutra that this is the result of developers being familiar with the system's PC-based architecture.

"The launch lineup for PlayStation 4--though I unfortunately can't give the title count--is going to be stronger than any prior PlayStation hardware," Cerny said. "And that's a result of that familiarity."

Previously confirmed PS4 launch titles include Killzone: Shadow Fall, Watch Dogs, DriveClub, and Knack.

Sony has confirmed the PS4 will launch this holiday season, but has not announced region-specific availability or pricing for the next-generation platform.

GameStop believes the console will launch worldwide this holiday, while an unconfirmed report suggests two models will be available in November at $430 and $530.

anything is a improvement over the Ps3's shitlist of launch games.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Well, the only really strong launch it has to compete with is PlayStation 2, since the PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PSP, and PS Vita all had bad to average launches.

It's big words, considering the PS2 launch week, and month that followed offered a smorgasbord of quality titles that were all quite strong, and stood up to many of the system's best games for years to come. What matters is there being a strong first party group (2-5 games that are brand names), and having your third party round out a lot of genres. Chances are there will be a COD and a Battlefront, and those alone are going to move a few systems. Now if you can just get some TPS, Adventure, RPGs, Sports titles, a fighter and something that floors you that isn't genre defining.

We'll see, is my officially stance, but it's only one real strong launch in the company's history to compete against.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Kiwi Defender

Sounds rather doubtful, if you ask me, especially considering how weak the Vita's was and how they claimed it'd have a strong line-up.

Either way, this being true or not would most likely decide whether buying a PS4 at release will be worth the money or not.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Well, the only really strong launch it has to compete with is PlayStation 2, since the PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PSP, and PS Vita all had bad to average launches.

It's big words, considering the PS2 launch week, and month that followed offered a smorgasbord of quality titles that were all quite strong, and stood up to many of the system's best games for years to come. What matters is there being a strong first party group (2-5 games that are brand names), and having your third party round out a lot of genres. Chances are there will be a COD and a Battlefront, and those alone are going to move a few systems. Now if you can just get some TPS, Adventure, RPGs, Sports titles, a fighter and something that floors you that isn't genre defining.

We'll see, is my officially stance, but it's only one real strong launch in the company's history to compete against.

sony has to do everything perfect in this generation or the ps4 will be the dreamcast.

thats all there is to it. they lost tons of money for the past 6 years by treating their fanbase like shit. In 2009 they finally realized they were idiots and are finally getting smart again.

They have to impress every single gamer and non-gamer out there. If sony knows how to shoot womprats in a T-16, they won.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    sony has to do everything perfect in this generation or the ps4 will be the dreamcast.

thats all there is to it. they lost tons of money for the past 6 years by treating their fanbase like shit. In 2009 they finally realized they were idiots and are finally getting smart again.

They have to impress every single gamer and non-gamer out there. If sony knows how to shoot womprats in a T-16, they won.
    And the master of gross over-generalizations and sensationalism strikes again. Perfect my ass, what they need is to be competitive from the get go, and not leave systems on the shelves right from launch like they did last generation. They need to install their console to the one-console people out there as soon as possible, and try and convert people the same way 360 was able to.

You're never going to impress everybody, especially the non-gamer, but if you present a decent enough package to get enough on your side from the beginning, you'll be fine.

But thanks again for acting like, whatever Sony's next move is that it's going to be the end-all-be-all of the corporation.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Du wirst geil

Time will tell, then we'll see if Cerny is eating his words or not. So far in, it's a pretty weak line-up but obviously there's still plenty we don't know about the line-up and then there's the fact it's still April. Hopefully with E3 around the corner, we'll get to see some more solid titles.

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    Have any titles been confirmed for launch yet?
    If you read the article, it clearly states:

Previously confirmed PS4 launch titles include Killzone: Shadow Fall, Watch Dogs, DriveClub, and Knack.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lord of all Goat-Men

PS4 needs something as strong as the Wii-U launch line-up to succeed, otherwise it is doomed to fail.

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    PS4 needs something as strong as the Wii-U launch line-up to succeed, otherwise it is doomed to fail.
    Definitely mate, that's the recipe for success.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lord of all Goat-Men

The Wii-U didn't have a strong launch line up, did it? As far as I know it doesn't have ANY good titles out yet unless you're super interested in a HD Mario rehash.
    Unless stated otherwise, all my comments should be viewed as sarcastic.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

AHAHAHAHA!

The Wii-U line-up was as well-thought out as the Aussie cricket selector's Ashes squad!

Impeccable to say the least! Not a single flaw in the line-up!

God of War (2010/08/29) God of War II (2010/09/06) FIFA10 (2010/09/16) God of War III (2010/09/18) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2010/10/05) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010/10/11) Assassin's Creed II (2011/07/11) Trine 2 (2013/05/27) The Walking Dead (2013/07/15)

O_o

Aw ye, Smugglers Run 3.

Game on....

The launch titles are crucial for the success of the Playstation 4. If the Playstation 4 has a reasonable price point and launch games that aren't just slapped together, it could be the best console launch in history.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Killzone, Watch Dogs and Knack, Assassin's Creed IV
    any other titles been announced yet?

Platinum Dohvakiin

Outside of Killzone, Watchdogs, Knack and AC4. We'll also probably have CoD, BF4, Battlefront, WWE14, Every Fall/Winter EA sports game, Uncharted 4, maybe LBP3 as launch or near launch titles. But that's decent at best, Sony will still need some better than avg to great titles as well. Some TPS, RPG's (both J and W), a hack-n-slash of some sort, some decent none generic FPS'(besides killzone, CoD &BF). If Sonya wants to have a great PS4 Launch then they are going to need some pretty stand out games in almost every genre, or at least something that is worth playing even if it's not 'great' in practically every genre. Sony doesn't have to appeal to every genre and sub-genre gaming market out there. But they do have to appeal to a diverse enough market at or near launch to have a successful one.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Personally, I'd have to disagree with Mark Cerny from a subjective POV. The only games that look interesting to me are Knack and The Witness. Now, from an objective POV, they do have quite a few big titles lined up, so as long as we don't end up with half the titles being delayed, this could end up being a great launch.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Is the new Infamous game not a launch title? That one would be a good reason to buy the PS4 for me. So is Watch_Dogs, though you could play it on this generation as well.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by ErikNus View Post
    Is the new Infamous game not a launch title? That one would be a good reason to buy the PS4 for me. So is Watch_Dogs, though you could play it on this generation as well.
    inFamous: Second Son is pretty much confirmed to be a launch title, and there would be little point in getting Watch Dogs for PS3 if you are getting a PS4 for it anyway (PS4=1080p @ 30/60 frames; PS3=720p @ up to 30 frames - Difference? more than double).
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm looking forward to DESTINY myself. Not sure if It will be a launch title or not. Been playing the shit out of DEFIANCE, and the potential of a shared world fps where you get to explore space with your mates.....feck yeah. Regardless of launch titles i'll be getting a ps4 on day 1.

PRO Member

If I were doing a console launch in today's environment, here's how I'd do it.

1) Keep the number of launch titles small, perhaps 1 per genre, especially for the MP games. That way, each one sells a lot of copies and has the MP servers overflowing so they don't get boring and people are more likely to have RL friends with the game. The next wave of titles can start 2-3 weeks later.

2) Make a console bundle for each genre (or at least the 2-3 most popular ones) available at launch and include 3 months PS plus with each one.

3) Make each launch title console-exclusive! At least for the first couple months. I cannot stress this enough. No one is going to be excited about a game that they can play on multiple other consoles or the PS3, even if the graphics are better.

Releasing a lot of overlapping titles means that each one will sell fewer copies, and not having console exclusivity means people may be slower to adopt.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast