PS3 games on PS4?

This is a discussion on PS3 games on PS4? within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So, I know the PS4 won't be backwards compatible. But, it would make a lot of sense to offer a ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

PS3 games on PS4?

So, I know the PS4 won't be backwards compatible. But, it would make a lot of sense to offer a streaming service or download of PS3 titles via Gaikai or whatever. I think they sorta announced that, didn't they?

I currently own an XBOX360, no PS3, but am thinking about jumping ship for the next generation. What would really help me get off the fence is if I knew I could play the great PS3 exclusives that I've been missing on a PS4, especially Ni No Kuni, Uncharted and Heavy Rain. Do you think I'll be able to? Will this be a service that is available at launch, or how long do you think it will take for Sony to put most of their PS3-exclusives up? Will they do that at all?

Lvl 7 - Gold

You cannot play PS3 games on the PS4. For streaming that hasn't been confirmed.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

Let Me Watch

It's been confirmed that all PS3 titles will be available for the PS4 digitally, so yes you will be able to
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"Got more soul than a sock with a hole"

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    It's been confirmed that all PS3 titles will be available for the PS4 digitally, so yes you will be able to
    That's what I thought... it sounds awesome, but how long do you think it will take before I can actually play all those exclusives I missed out on? Knowing Sony, I'm afraid it's going to take years...

illegal in 9 countries

Yes, probably via digital subscription to whatever they rename Gaikai. No doubt we'll know more by E3.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikNus View Post
    That's what I thought... it sounds awesome, but how long do you think it will take before I can actually play all those exclusives I missed out on? Knowing Sony, I'm afraid it's going to take years...
    If it's a Sony first-party studio or an exclusive publishing relationship, it shouldn't take long and may be available at launch.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 8 - Gold

Sony will be using that cloud service thingy they bought for $380 million (read that in the Infamous Second Son issue of GameInformer). will have PS3 games, and a few PS1/PS2 games (like the current PS Store thats on PS3)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Sony to make older PS3 titles available for the PS4.
    I imagine some will appear available for both consoles at the PS4's launch, if only to have a decent amount of content available for the PS4.

Sure it might happen eventually, but you have to realize that the PS3 will remain in production, just as the PS2 remained in production until just recently.
    And as people who bought the original BC FAT 60GB PS3's will tell you, backward compatibility with PS2 games played on a PS3 that was supposedly able to play them was hit and miss a lot of the time, Sony even had a website where you entered the games index code found on the games cover to see if that version would play, or what know problems could happen with the game.
    This was due to regional differences, changes to the game depending on print run and licensing agreements, a probable still valid reasons why a lot of PS2 titles still haven't been made available as downloadable versions from the Pstore.

I think the heavy hitting titles of the PS3 might eventually make it as remastered versions for the PS4 somewhere down the track, especially the Sony owned ones, but other than that I can't see Sony putting much effort into making a lot of the PS3's titles available for the PS4.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Solution for everyone: Keep your PS3

Even though they'll be offering a trade in deal, I'm keeping mine. It would beat re-buying digital copies, or paying for the cloud services. whatever method they use.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Solution for everyone: Keep your PS3

Even though they'll be offering a trade in deal, I'm keeping mine. It would beat re-buying digital copies, or paying for the cloud services. whatever method they use.
    Ah yes, but I don't have a PS3. A service that would let me stream the PS3-exclusives on the PS4 would be one of the things to get me to abandon Microsoft for the next generation...