Sony isn't planning a loss with the PS4

This is a discussion on Sony isn't planning a loss with the PS4 within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony Not Anticipating a Loss With PlayStation 4 Launch - IGN Sony is not anticipating to make a loss with ...

INTJ

Sony isn't planning a loss with the PS4

Sony Not Anticipating a Loss With PlayStation 4 Launch - IGN

Sony is not anticipating to make a loss with the launch of the PlayStation 4.

During a earnings call today, Sony CFO Masaru Kato stated, "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss to be incurred with the launch of PS4."

Kato's prediction (caught by Eurogamer) is mainly down to PS4 using a chip that has required much less R&D and investment by the company.

"At the time we developed PS3, we made a lot of in-house investments to develop the chip the Cell chip," said Kato. "Development of the chip saw the silicon processing and all the facilities invested by us ourselves.

"Yes we have a team working on chip development but we already have existing technology to incorporate and also product investment and all the facilities will now be invested by our partners, other foundries, so we don't have to make all the investment in-house."

The company's net income was 42.8 billion yen (roughly $436 million). While this isn't huge, it's a healthy improvement considering the huge losses of a year ago, and it's the first time the company has been in profit since 2008. Not too shabby for Kaz Hirai's first year in charge of the whole company.

Meanwhile, in the games segment sales were down 12.2% and operating income (a measure of a film's profit excluding taxes and interest) was down by 94% to $18 million.

Combined sales of PS3 and PS2 consoles have fallen to 16.5 million from 18 million last year. This isn't surprising though, factoring generation fatigue and the announcement of the PlayStation 4. Sony's portables PSP and Vita sold 7 million units, which is a slight improvement on the 6.8 million sold last year. While up, it's worth noting that the Vita's price-cut in Japan (Feb 2013) undermined the fact more units were shifted, earning Sony less money overall.

The report is optimistic about the future of the company's game business: "Sales are expected to increase significantly primarily due to the planned introduction of the PlayStation 4 in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014. Operating income is expected to be essentially flat year-on-year primarily due to an increase in research and development expenses and marketing expenses related to the introduction of the PS4."

Its fortunes haven't reversed entirely but this is a much leaner, streamlined, and ultimately more profitable Sony than the company of a year ago.

Rangers F.C

This is good news, I am still convinced the PS4 will turn out to be more expensive than people expect .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Breakfast and Chill

This either means it will be a very good launch or lean toward the more expensive side of gaming hardware. Waiting to see that price still

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    This is good news, I am still convinced the PS4 will turn out to be more expensive than people expect .
    yeah, and literally everyone will bitch about it.

WHO DAT!!!!

PS4 w a 1 TB hard drive $525.......my guess.....already have the $$$ waiting .....day 1 buy baby!!!!

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by zezima007 View Post
    yeah, and literally everyone will bitch about it.
    I don't want to start a shit storm, but if it is expensive and from Sony it is almost guaranteed to be a quality product . This is not meant to suggest more expensive is always better but when you look at there TV range, they are always more expensive but last longer and are a better quality . I think it will be very interesting to see just how much they are going to ask for .

If you look at the Piston xi3 you would expect it to be slightly cheaper because Sony are a huge company but the PS4 to be more powerful so will it be similar in price, who knows lol

Steam gets first console, the Xi3 Piston, but only in the US | CNET UK
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

-i- love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I agree but hopefully it releases at an affordable price.