Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PS4 the most powerful console this generation

This is a discussion on PS4 the most powerful console this generation within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Ps360 i remember when everyone said the 3DS Was dead on this site. two years later it's ...

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    i remember when everyone said the 3DS Was dead on this site.

two years later it's alive and the biggest seller of the current gen handhelds. the only people who still think the 3DS will fail are delusional.

Nintendo's wii u will follow the same pattern.
    Ah...no. The biggest selling handhelds are Samsung and Apple smartphones. Nintendo isn't even in the same galaxy, let alone neighbourhood in terms of handheld gaming sales.

The Wii U has sold sweet fuck all units to date. Yes, that's because it also has sweet fuck all games, but it's not following the same pattern as the Wii at all, at least in terms of marketshare. It will die an inevitable death within 3 years at most (expect sales to completely tank after a peak next year) because it's a backwater piece of shit released 7 years too late.

Mario Kart and Zelda HD will only get them so far - this generation it looks like their market penetration extends only to Nintendo fanboys, who are increasingly few and far between. No-one else has either a) heard about the Wii U, or b) cares about the Wii U's gamepad as it's primary USP.

The wagglestick appeal of the Wii is long dead, along with the casual market Nintendo targeted with the Wii. They're playing Angry Birds instead and it either costs them nothing, or at most a few bucks to purchase the app.

You also can't compare it to the handheld console market where there's only two serious competitors. Nintendo has the casual / kiddy market cornered, Vita has the big-boy market coming around. Both Sony and MS are far more competitive in the home console arena. Things could potentially get worse for all of them once Valve enters the market.

Fight the Future

the dreamcast
    I have shamed myself... Just goes to show that the library of games was the reason for the PS2 success.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Exclusives for Ps4 are going to be pretty insane Im thinking.

Deathless Destroyer

Can't wait to hear what the X-Box fanboys have to say about the PS4 after the crappy reveal, PS4 being much more powerful overall (like the PS3 is but devs don't really take advantage of it due to the complicated hardware) and most likely having to pay for an online similar to the one the PS4 will have.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't think Microsoft thought about their name very well. What happens in 2500 years when they get up to Xbox 359?

But seriously Xbone?

On the hardware, I think it will come down to this: the graphics will be slightly better on PS4 for it's exclusives, and it will hopefully be snappy and responsive, with the considerable RAM speed difference.

Stacking - Machinarium - Hell Yeah - Cuboid - Critter Crunch - Thomas Was Alone - Contrast

Saints Row IV

Xbox One will fail if it continues like that
    The used games fee and the internet every 24hours
    Also,the partnership with the worst publisher will not turn well
    So,that is why EA stopped the online passes....Ubisoft didn't do that so there is a high chance PS4 will not do what Xbox One did
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Ah...no. The biggest selling handhelds are Samsung and Apple smartphones. Nintendo isn't even in the same galaxy, let alone neighbourhood in terms of handheld gaming sales.

The Wii U has sold sweet fuck all units to date. Yes, that's because it also has sweet fuck all games, but it's not following the same pattern as the Wii at all, at least in terms of marketshare. It will die an inevitable death within 3 years at most (expect sales to completely tank after a peak next year) because it's a backwater piece of shit released 7 years too late.

Mario Kart and Zelda HD will only get them so far - this generation it looks like their market penetration extends only to Nintendo fanboys, who are increasingly few and far between. No-one else has either a) heard about the Wii U, or b) cares about the Wii U's gamepad as it's primary USP.

The wagglestick appeal of the Wii is long dead, along with the casual market Nintendo targeted with the Wii. They're playing Angry Birds instead and it either costs them nothing, or at most a few bucks to purchase the app.

You also can't compare it to the handheld console market where there's only two serious competitors. Nintendo has the casual / kiddy market cornered, Vita has the big-boy market coming around. Both Sony and MS are far more competitive in the home console arena. Things could potentially get worse for all of them once Valve enters the market.
    I'm not sure if i should laugh at you or what. You included apple and samsung in gaming handhelds and you are horribly mistaken. Smartphones are more like Computers than a gaming handheld. You look at gaming handheld charts and you don't see Smartphones.

If anyone actually looked at gaming sales compared to entertainment sales they would see gaming is kind of dying in the U.S. anyway. Looking at the numbers from 20 yr's ago to now, you'd think Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are dying.

You sure don't look at the big picture nor numbers before you chime in do you? Gaming is dying in the U.S. due to weak gamers not being able to handle hard games. Company's have had to ease the difficulty of games by so much that games are a joke now. Alot of the older hardcore gamers are crying for Japanese games to come over here because atleast the Japanese can handle hard games.

So in turn with weaker games means less sales means less people playing games means everyone is turning to other forms of entertainment for their systems. Which welcomes wii-u and xbox one.

Which in turns brings in people like you that say everything is gonna die because it don't do WHAT you want it to do, and you can't see the big picture. GAMING is DYING because of PANSIES. So companies are now having their systems do more than play games and everyone scoft's at the idea.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

The XB1 won't be a failure. Sure, it will lose the battle for the hardcore gamer. But there are millions of people who use the console as their Madden- or CoD-machine, and then use it for watching movies etcetera. The XB1 will scoop all those people up.
    So, just like this generation, Xbox will lose in Japan and Europe, but be victorious in America.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by ErikNus View Post
    The XB1 won't be a failure. Sure, it will lose the battle for the hardcore gamer. But there are millions of people who use the console as their Madden- or CoD-machine, and then use it for watching movies etcetera. The XB1 will scoop all those people up.
    So, just like this generation, Xbox will lose in Japan and Europe, but be victorious in America.
    I think that this gen will have the PS4 leading over the XBOX One in sales by a margin of millions, purely because there won't be any 1 year headstarts like the XBOX 360 had over the PS3.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 9 - Gold

Hearing more rumours of 2.0Ghz processor instead of 1.6Ghz.. don't think Sony will go for it with lower yield and adding cost maybe 1.8Ghz but the benefits probably wouldnt be worth it for reliability/cost and so on.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    I have shamed myself... Just goes to show that the library of games was the reason for the PS2 success.
    actually it was sony's grip on their fandom that won them the generation.

they managed to make the majority of the fanbase wait for the PS2 instead of jumping on the dreamcast.

then sony fucked up in the PS3 Era till around 2010.

Sony so far seemed to fix themselves in the PS4 Era.

A plat a month!

Sony so far seemed to fix themselves in the PS4 Era.
    'so far' is right. I'm waiting back to see how the #PS4noDrM campaign ends up working out. If Sony shys away from this, and MS confirms the rumors, then yes, Sony will hands down have this next generation in their pocket.

But I'm not so sure that Sony will stay away from the whole 'no DRM' concept. I can see companies like EA going XBOX exclusive if they don't keep the gamers in mind, and focus on the bottom line. Sony may risk loosing exclusives or cross platform titles if they don't listen to the devs and publishers. (We've already seen Sony move away from the Cell based architecture (PS3 era) and go towards the x86 architecture for the PS4, next gen system, based on what devs want.) Who knows what other measures Sony will set forth to make the devs and publishers happy.

All in all, there are still rumors floating around. MS hasn't fully confirmed the DRM rumors, and neither has Sony for that matter. Its anyone's game at this moment. There are pros and cons for either company doing the DRM fee based models, and this may be the factor that awards MS or Sony the 'winner' of the next gen.

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    It was also the first console to be released that generation. I wouldn't say the PS2 was successful because it was cheap, I believe that success came from the fantastic library of video games it had.
    First doesn't really matter. 360 came first and now both 7th gen consoles have sold more.

Lvl 9 - Gold

PLAYSTATION FOR THE WIN!!! We're gonna be leaving XBox One in our technological dust! I'm glad I've always been a PlayStation guy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12