Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS4 the most powerful console this generation

This is a discussion on PS4 the most powerful console this generation within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; AnandTech | The Xbox One: Hardware Analysis & Comparison to PlayStation 4 It’s nearly impossible for the Xbox One not ...

INTJ

PS4 the most powerful console this generation

AnandTech | The Xbox One: Hardware Analysis & Comparison to PlayStation 4

It’s nearly impossible for the Xbox One not to be a substantial upgrade over the Xbox 360. The fact that Microsoft could ship a single integrated SoC instead of a multi-chip CPU+GPU solution this generation is telling enough. You don’t need to integrate anywhere near the fastest CPUs and GPUs to outperform the Xbox 360, something closer to the middle of the road works just fine.

Microsoft won’t have any issues delivering many times the performance of the Xbox 360. The Xbox One features far more compute power and memory bandwidth than the Xbox 360. Going to 8GB of RAM is also a welcome upgrade, especially since it’s identical to what Sony will ship on the PlayStation 4. As AMD is supplying relatively similar x86 CPU and GCN GPU IP to both consoles, porting between them (and porting to PCs) should be far easier than ever before. The theoretical performance comparison between the two next-gen consoles is where things get a bit sticky.

Sony gave the PS4 50% more raw shader performance, plain and simple (768 SPs @ 800MHz vs. 1152 SPs & 800MHz). Unlike last generation, you don't need to be some sort of Jedi to extract the PS4's potential here. The Xbox One and PS4 architectures are quite similar, Sony just has more hardware under the hood. We’ll have to wait and see how this hardware delta gets exposed in games over time, but the gap is definitely there. The funny thing about game consoles is that it’s usually the lowest common denominator that determines the bulk of the experience across all platforms.

On the plus side, the Xbox One should enjoy better power/thermal characteristics compared to the PlayStation 4. Even compared to the Xbox 360 we should see improvement in many use cases thanks to modern power management techniques.

Differences in the memory subsytems also gives us some insight into each approach to the next-gen consoles. Microsoft opted for embedded SRAM + DDR3, while Sony went for a very fast GDDR5 memory interface. Sony’s approach (especially when combined with a beefier GPU) is exactly what you’d build if you wanted to give game developers the fastest hardware. Microsoft’s approach on the other hand looks a little more broad. The Xbox One still gives game developers a significant performance boost over the previous generation, but also attempts to widen the audience for the console. It’s a risky strategy for sure, especially given the similarities in the underlying architectures between the Xbox One and PS4. If the market for high-end game consoles has already hit its peak, then Microsoft’s approach is likely the right one from a business standpoint. If the market for dedicated high-end game consoles hasn’t peaked however, Microsoft will have to rely even more on the Kinect experience, TV integration and its exclusive franchises to compete.

Arguably the most interesting thing in all of this is the dual-OS + hypervisor software setup behind the Xbox One. With the Windows kernel running alongside the Xbox OS, I wonder how much of a stretch it would be to one day bring the same setup to PCs. Well before the Xbox One hits the end of its life, mainstream PC APUs will likely be capable of delivering similar performance. Imagine a future Surface tablet that was capable of doing everything your Xbox One can do. That's really the trump card in all of this. The day Microsoft treats Xbox as a platform and not a console is the day that Apple and Google have a much more formidable competitor. Xbox One at least gets the software architecture in order, then we need PC/mobile hardware to follow suit and finally for Microsoft to come to this realization and actually make it happen. We already have the Windows kernel running on phones, tablets, PCs and the Xbox, now we just need the Xbox OS across all platforms as well.

TL;DR

The Xbox One is 50% slower than the PS4. The PS4 has better Unified architecture, faster memory and more, but it also costs more to make.

Fight the Future

Who gives a shit about any of that? With the totally tubular Xbox ONE you don't need a remote to change your television inputs, and Kinect! Who cares about games on a gaming console?

Seriously though, the Xbox event was a massive disappointment and in all honesty all it did for me was make me anticipate the PlayStation 4 even more. I expect the PS4 to cost more than the Xbox One (is this an even worse name than the WiiU?) initially from what I have seen the PS4 will be a much better gaming machine and it seems the company behind the console actually understands what gamers want from a gaming console.

Good job, Sony.

Rangers F.C

Sounds good for Sony then, when he says " The funny thing about game consoles is that it’s usually the lowest common denominator that determines the bulk of the experience across all platforms. " does this mean most devs will make the games to suit the lower specs ?
    I think that most people are looking for a high end gaming console, it has not peaked IMO, I would be buying the one that is the most powerful and has the best graphics, if all this is true then the PS4 exclusives might be something special in the graphics department .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 8 - Gold

im guessing this is why they added all those servers, Xbox One to Become More Powerful Over Time via Cloud Computing - IGN

worlds biggest welch fan

That's how playstation rolls.

Can't wait to see what indie developers and Bungie have for the PS4 with the user friendly hardware compared to the ps3 when it first launched.

All the comments on yahoo cracked me up.
    either way will probably have both system because X-box wants to take over the cable world.

If you watch cable $$$$$$$$$$$
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Buy my book, Alteration

At least we can look forward to seeing that power in games on PS4. I was surprised at the lack of games shown given it's a gaming console. Most people already own smartphones, DVRs, and TV. Heck, you can't even use the Xbox without a TV already! I was disappointed by Microsoft, especially given the great PS4 reveal.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nevetsteven2 View Post
    That's how playstation rolls.
    ps2 had weakest hardware that gen.

it's why it was so successful, because it was cheap.

Kiwi Defender

Well, it might be safe to say that, using past generations as an example, the PS4 won't win the war because of this .

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

Don't forget that built-in DVD player. Dayuuum!

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Fight the Future

It was also the first console to be released that generation. I wouldn't say the PS2 was successful because it was cheap, I believe that success came from the fantastic library of video games it had.

#hashtag

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Well, it might be safe to say that, using past generations as an example, the PS4 won't win the war because of this .

Don't forget that built-in DVD player. Dayuuum!

Stay golden, Ponyboy

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    It was also the first console to be released that generation. I wouldn't say the PS2 was successful because it was cheap, I believe that success came from the fantastic library of video games it had.
    Being cheap to make/cheap to buy definitely didn't hurt it though..
    Avatar by TheGeneral09 | Platcard by RavenScythe
    My Trophy Checklist

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Sounds good for Sony then, when he says " The funny thing about game consoles is that itís usually the lowest common denominator that determines the bulk of the experience across all platforms. " does this mean most devs will make the games to suit the lower specs ?
    That's exactly why Nintendo has doomed the Wii U. It's so weak in comparison with the PS4 and XBone that third-party developers are just gonna skip the weakest link altogether.

Cross-platform games suffered from this last generation with the 360 holding back the PS3. Games like Final Fantasy XIII had content cut because the 360 couldn't cram it all on one disc.

worlds biggest welch fan

I was talking about the PS3 hardware wasn't it 600 bucks when it first came out.
    come to think of It I've never checked the Ps2 specs
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by nevetsteven2 View Post
    I was talking about the PS3 hardware wasn't it 600 bucks when it first came out.
    come to think of It I've never checked the Ps2 specs
    No need to even check specs. Just find comparison pics/vids between Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube and the PS2 port. The difference is fairly noticeable.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lord of all Goat-Men

The GameCube had 60% more processing power, and about 10% more graphical power than the PlayStation 2.

But yes, the PS4 is in a class of its own in terms of hardware.

Xbox One vs PlayStation 4 Specs

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    That's exactly why Nintendo has doomed the Wii U. It's so weak in comparison with the PS4 and XBone that third-party developers are just gonna skip the weakest link altogether.

Cross-platform games suffered from this last generation with the 360 holding back the PS3. Games like Final Fantasy XIII had content cut because the 360 couldn't cram it all on one disc.
    Nintendo has always done what it has done and has lived through the generations. The wii-u will survive and prosper. Infact i think everytime Nintendo comes out with a system ppl have said nintendo will die. People don't buy the Nintendo for shear power, ppl buy Nintendo products for the fun games. Xbox and Ps3 make ppl game hard. Like it kinda makes you wanna do it, what with trophies and achievements. While Nintendo has none of that crap and you can relax while playing it. Like some of us used to do with the old NES, SuperNes, N64 & Wii. Seems a lot of the new gamers are all about the power and crap.

What I would honestly like to see is Microsoft get out of the market and Sega come back. Microsoft has gone all about the money, making you pay to play used games instead of ban em like they was originally talking about. Took me awhile to finally buy a ps3, November of last yr to be exact. Due to all the complications of the ps2 and the limitations it had. They sure did come back great with the ps3 and now the ps4 will be just as great.

But in all honesty all 3 systems will prosper. Because each one will add it's own special something to gamers. Wii-u The fun games. PS4 power and more exclusive games and it's own little things that have yet to be found out. Then the Xbox One going more entertainment than gaming. Which, although i hate it, I know the Xbox One will sell even though right now ppl don't think it will. Just take a look at your ps3 friends list, or your xbox live list. Most of the time people are watching Youtube, Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, Amazon. Alot of the times people aren't playing games except for hardcore trophy/achievement hunters and they still watch movies too.

So, we may be dissing each product for lack of power/graphics or what not but in all reality all 3 will prevail because each gamer is different.

I really wish Sega would get back into the System war's. I for one miss Sega's unique systems and controllers. Even if not all of their systems were superior to another's.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadow View Post
    Nintendo has always done what it has done and has lived through the generations. The wii-u will survive and prosper. Infact i think everytime Nintendo comes out with a system ppl have said nintendo will die.
    i remember when everyone said the 3DS Was dead on this site.

two years later it's alive and the biggest seller of the current gen handhelds. the only people who still think the 3DS will fail are delusional.

Nintendo's wii u will follow the same pattern.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I can't wait for the PS4 to come out since it focuses on games and not alot on apps.
    Trophy Hunter Percy.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    the dreamcast

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Though I've always supported Sony I'm still not buying one immediately
    ill wait a year after release For either price drop or game library to grow
    or just wait to see if any issues come about the new system
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast