Yoshida once again states it's the publishers choice if there's Used DRM or not. Not Mandatory

This is a discussion on Yoshida once again states it's the publishers choice if there's Used DRM or not. Not Mandatory within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; It's Official: PS4 Will Not Feature Used Game DRM Like Xbox One This is a crazy bit of news because ...

INTJ

Yoshida once again states it's the publishers choice if there's Used DRM or not. Not Mandatory

It's Official: PS4 Will Not Feature Used Game DRM Like Xbox One

This is a crazy bit of news because it's not actually new but Sony went ahead and kind of circled everyone back around to an earlier point they made regarding used games and DRM. Hence, the company is answering new questions retroactively and confirm that the PS4 won't have any built-in blocks against used games. Put that Angry Joe rant away, because you won't need it for the PS4.

Kotaku [via Maxconsole] had a few questions about the PlayStation 4 and its used game DRM as well as always-online functionality. Kotaku contacted Sony directly and a representative for Sony pointed Kotaku back to one of their own articles, reiterating statements made by Sony's top dog studio chief, Shuhei Yoshida, where Kotaku originally published this info back in February...

At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that." (Emphasis added.)
    Kotaku promptly apologized to gamers for not having caught it earlier. Kind of crazy...these witch hunts, eh? You kind of lose sight of important info that nulls and voids the whole witch hunt in the first place. Ah, crazy kids.

I'm betting a lot of people are feeling awfully silly for having missed such an important piece of info buried under all that Microsoft rage. I wonder if Sony will blame gaming media for not digging through their archives the way Microsoft blamed gaming media for their executives giving out inaccurate and incomplete info?

Anyway, this already makes it clear that if publishers want to DRM-up the PS4 they'll have to use third-party means to do so, which actually has nothing to do with the PS4 or Sony (e.g., sort of like how Ubisoft uses Uplay DRM for games on Steam or EA used to use Online Passes).

This clears up a few things:

1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.

2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.

3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store or remote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.

4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection.

So basically what we have here is a collage of previous statements confirming Sony's stance on the gaming market: They support you, the gamers.

Keep in mind that we're not totally in the clear regarding used game DRM for any console, including the Wii U. Third-party publishers may use the opportunity to go overboard one way or another and so, sadly, just like Master Chief and his unending fight with a bunch of aliens that all look alike, the fight isn't finished.

While I don't know if it's still necessary to keep tweeting #PS4NoDRM at Sony, it certainly wouldn't hurt to use NeoGaf's momentum to direct the attention toward third-party publishers. I doubt they'll like the sentiment because of greed and all, but so far Sony seems to be building up the PlayStation 4 to be as good a console as the PlayStation 2, barring greedy pulbishers.

And just so we can finally end this argument of comparisons: The PlayStation 4 will not have built-in used game DRM like the Xbox One. #Dealwithit

So Used game DRM exists on the ps4, but it's up to the publishers if they want to use it.

aka PS4 Drm confirmed. you either have none at all or have it, there is no middle ground.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    So Used game DRM exists on the ps4, but it's up to the publishers if they want to use it.

aka PS4 Drm confirmed. you either have none at all or have it, there is no middle ground.
    Or more accurately...

The PlayStation 4 will not have built-in used game DRM like the Xbox One. #Dealwithit
    PS4 confirmed NOT to have a similar DRM system to the Xbox One. PS4 will NOT block second-hand games, will NOT have a perma-internet connection and will NOT require HDD installation for DRM purposes.

Publishers will implement second-hand DRM at their peril. Furthermore, MS is poised to lose significant marketshare to Sony because of their restrictive DRM. A 90% public sentiment poll in favour of the PS4 in every country of the world speaks volumes about how people feel about the next generation.

When companies like EA announce they're doing away with Online Passes entirely, this is increasingly positive news for the PS4 and less encouraging for Xbox One. Yes, there may be an even more insidious scheme around the corner for EA. Then again, there may not and EA is genuinely attempting to turn the corner of the overwhelming tide of negative public opinion. Time will tell...

I get a sense that Sony is going back to its roots (or even beyond) by targeting core gamers and core game developers with the PS4. They're listening to what their customers and suppliers want and are giving us everything we need to make our DRM decisions at the checkout, not at the system boot-up. Those publishers who don't support second-hand sales are going to suffer the loss of first-hand sales.

I'm also expecting some of the dodgier decisions of the last generation like on-disc DLC and micro-transactions to fall by the wayside or change business model entirely because gamers hate them. At least on the PS4 that is...Kinect 2.0 put its virtual hand out at every opportunity to monetize content from any media source, be it games, movies, tv or music.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I'm also expecting some of the dodgier decisions of the last generation like on-disc DLC and micro-transactions to fall by the wayside or change business model entirely because gamers hate them.
    Really? I see nothing but it getting worse.

Even though 'gamers' hate them (microtransactions), it's generating massive revenues. As long as they don't become more intrusive, they'll probably become more common. When games are going free to play and becoming studios biggest successes because they rely on microtransactions (ie. Sony Online's Planetside 2), it's only going to continue the trend of people seeking instant gratification for a few dollars here and there.

I also still see on disc DLC being a part of the market, preorder bonuses especially. Until digital sales start over taking retail sales, vendors are going to continue to buy rights to exclusive DLC to draw people to their stores, and digital sales will never over take retail until there are massive cuts to the price or immense bonuses for doing so.

As to this thread, it's not 'PS4 Drm confirmed', as Sony won't be enforcing shit. The publishers will be responsible for managing what they want to do - it's just like Windows doesn't have proprietary DRM for every single piece of software, yet allows the publishers to enforce it if they want.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Why is this news? All the same stuff they said in February, we knew used games blocking would be up to the publisher and it would not require an always on Internet connection

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    Really? I see nothing but it getting worse.
    That's certainly been the trend to date, but the video gaming, like everyone else, is hurting at the moment and significant change needs to happen to reinvigorate the industry. In my mind, the casual revenue wave has run its course and its core gamers who are going to power the next generation of consoles.

I don't think a generational change is enough to sustain that for more than a few years and I don't believe free-to-play coupled with micro-transactions is the business model of the future. That's fine and dandy in the casual gaming sector, but not for core gamers. We like to own our games, we like to game with friends, we like full-featured titles, optional DLC and low-level DRM.

I could be speaking out of my arse with my unicorns & rainbows vision of the PS4, but I'm a person who embraces change as a positive thing. I'm only seeing positive news coming from Sony because they know that if they fuck up the PS4, they're sunk.

I see the core difference between the PS4 and Xbox One as Microsoft is targeting publishers as their core market whilst Sony is targeting gamers. If we don't buy what publishers want to sell, then it's the publishers who need to change, not us.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    Why is this news? All the same stuff they said in February, we knew used games blocking would be up to the publisher and it would not require an always on Internet connection
    It's news because a lot of people were confused with the Xbox reveal and DRM, which spurred rumors that Sony would implement something similar, and not a lot of people knew what Sony had said beforehand.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 3 - Bronze

This is middle ground:

No DRM (high ground); or
    Yes DRM (low ground); or
    Developer's choice (middle ground).

I can breathe a sigh of relief... I was one of those who missed this - I was thinking Sony never denied having DRM with the PS4, but I completely forgot that I read about it back at PS4's reveal... my bad!

Now my only hope is that Sony will stick to their word.

God of War (2010/08/29) God of War II (2010/09/06) FIFA10 (2010/09/16) God of War III (2010/09/18) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2010/10/05) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010/10/11) Assassin's Creed II (2011/07/11) Trine 2 (2013/05/27) The Walking Dead (2013/07/15)