PS4 Won't Require An Internet Connection Confirms Mark Cerny

This is a discussion on PS4 Won't Require An Internet Connection Confirms Mark Cerny within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; [hide] [top] The creator of Sony's PS4, Mark Cerny, has confirmed that the next-gen console won't require an internet connection. ...

PRO Member

PS4 Won't Require An Internet Connection Confirms Mark Cerny

[top]The creator of Sony's PS4, Mark Cerny, has confirmed that the next-gen console won't require an internet connection.

Published on Jun 3, 2013
    There's been much aggro for both Sony and Microsoft over the PS4 and Xbox One since their reveals surrounding speculation that next-gen consoles will require an internet connection to use them.
    Many expect this to be a measure of DRM, keeping track of which games are owned by the player prior to playing their games.
    Sony's Mark Cerny has revealed that the PS4 will not require an internet connection, however, reiterating Shuhei Yoshida's previous comment that Sony hadn't considered an always-on internet connection for the PS4.
    In an interview with Elmundo, Mark Cerny answered the question of always-on internet requirement with:
    "PS4 is not a permanent connection system in that sense, but the experience is much richer if you are connected."
    "You will have access to digital content and updates for your games," added Cerny, "along with a wide range of social functions: upload videos and screenshots, see your friends play and interact with them in various ways within the games."
    Though this doesn't answer the question of DRM, it would make it hard to manage such a system if a connection to the internet isn't mandatory.
    Microsoft's message has been fairly confusing on the matter, with the resulting info suggesting the Xbox One will require the user to connect to the internet once a day.
    We won't know for certain until closer to launch day, obviously, but at least Sony is being vocal on the matter.

Deathless Destroyer

So...just like the PS3.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Saints Row IV

OMG if this is real,PS4 has already won the next generation of games
    The PS4 will not need internet connection,unlike Xbone :holy;
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

KCCO!

Yeah, Sony should take everything MS is doing, and do the oppposite.

Lvl 8 - Gold

They can kiss my ass if this is true. Out of all PS3 games I have, only 2 are used and that's because I couldn't find them new at the time. I just don't like my gaming being restricted in any way. I hope they go through with cancelling it, although they shouldn't have implemented it in the first place.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Eh I don't have a problem with always keeping my consoles connected. If the internet's down and a game relies on it, I always have backup entertainment.

Bringing the PAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Eh I don't have a problem with always keeping my consoles connected. If the internet's down and a game relies on it, I always have backup entertainment.
    Yes... But in many parts of the world(Outside your town) there are ALOT of places with either no internet connection, or very shaky connections. Those people would be unable to play games even singleplayer. Kinda screwing a HUGE segment of players.

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    Yes... But in many parts of the world(Outside your town) there are ALOT of places with either no internet connection, or very shaky connections. Those people would be unable to play games even singleplayer. Kinda screwing a HUGE segment of players.
    I suppose you've got a point. In that case...sucks to be them, I guess.

Rangers F.C

I hope they both cancel it but it pretty much confirms Sony is as big an asshole as Microsoft for trying to do it at all, all will be forgiven if they don't but they both suck for trying .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 6 - Silver

That's good news to hear. So just like the PS3, the PS4 is enjoyable with or without an internet connection.
    Trophy Hunter Percy.

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I hope they both cancel it but it pretty much confirms Sony is as big an asshole as Microsoft for trying to do it at all, all will be forgiven if they don't but they both suck for trying .
    Really? From what I read it confirmed absolutely nothing and was just someones opinion on the matter. There was no evidence that Sony was going to implement anything on the PS4 to restrict used games, so I suggest you find some genuine evidence before you put Sony in the same boat as Microsoft.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    Really? From what I read it confirmed absolutely nothing and was just someones opinion on the matter. There was no evidence that Sony was going to implement anything on the PS4 to restrict used games, so I suggest you find some genuine evidence before you put Sony in the same boat as Microsoft.
    I was meaning my suspicions, its not confirmed I can read . No smoke without fire, I bet they were but if they don't we will never know . Calm down kid, its only a console not a family member .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge