Sony India accidentally shows price, 399

This is a discussion on Sony India accidentally shows price, 399 within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS4 price revealed by Sony India, listing now removed -- PlayStation Universe A product listing on the official Sony India ...

INTJ

Sony India accidentally shows price, 399

PS4 price revealed by Sony India, listing now removed -- PlayStation Universe

A product listing on the official Sony India website may have revealed the PlayStation 4 price ahead of its E3 2013 coming-out party.

The PlayStation faithful have been dying to know what PS4 looks like and how much it will cost since its reveal in February. The Sony India product page, which has since been removed, allegedly listed a base model of the console with a 250 GB hard drive for...

€399.

There are no currently available screengrabs of the now-missing product page, so this rumor should be taken with plenty of salt until one surfaces. The news was seemingly first reported by German gaming site Playfront.de before being spotted by NeoGAF. There, forum posters indicate that, while 399 Euros converts to roughly 513 US dollars, a direct conversion is almost never valid for game console sales. Case in point: at launch, the PlayStation Vita sold for €250 and $250. Another example: the PlayStation 2 launched for $299 and "2990 French Francs, which is equivalent to 450 Euros."

Early speculation about PS4's price pegged $399 as the sweet spot for a base model, but 250GB sounds like a woefully small hard drive. It's also difficult to believe that Sony would make a mistake of this magnitude with such crucial timing--this has intentional leak written all over it, in which case the PlayStation nation should have every confidence that PS4 will launch somewhere around the $399/€399 mark.

Of course, Playfront.de could also be trolling PlayStation fans with a fake URL and fake story, so continue to treat this story as rumor until evidence surfaces. We are currently investigating, and will update this story as we find and hear more.

Will you pay $399 for a PS4 at launch? What accessories or bundles do you expect to see on store shelves? Are you more interested in a higher-price SKU with more hard drive space? Give us your thoughts, speculation, and analysis in the comments below, and stay glued to PSU.com for E3 2013 coverage live from the Los Angeles Convention Center.

528.48 US Dollar

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    528.48 US Dollar

a direct conversion is almost never valid for game console sales.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Again - placeholder for the site for when things become official. Could be right, most likely not.

I believe in Sony India being about as credible a source for "leaks" as I believe that SNSD will show up on my doorstep with a live performance.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

illegal in 9 countries

$400 US for the base model sounds about right. For Aussies, it should be around $500 AU. I'm expecting to pay $600 AU for the fattest model.

Speculation of course, but those numbers sound palatable. Another $100 north of that and millions of us will wait for a price drop or go for a Wii U instead, so it needs to be competitively priced from the get-go.

Pre-orders in Oz list the PS4 at $899, but there's no way on Earth it'll be more expensive than the PS3 at launch.

Buy my book, Alteration

I don't think it'll really be that costly. It's not a competitive cost in a competetitive market.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    a direct conversion is almost never valid for game console sales.
    keyword of the day: Almost

illegal in 9 countries

If it's €399, I'd bet my left testicle it'll be $399 US.

Sony is not stupid enough to make Americans think about conversion rates on a product that will make or break their company. Nor are they stupid enough to price themselves out of the market by making it more than Average Joe is willing or able to pay.

They fucked up the PS3 launch and it took years to recover. It won't happen again. I'd be shocked it the PS4 was $499 US at launch, though it's not inconceivable if they perceive the demand is there at that price.

They'll sell squillions more at the cheaper price and get themselves off to a flying start this time around (not to mention the flow-on effect to Vita sales with mandatory Remote Play support for PS4 games) so the smart money would be on $399 launch price.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

That'll be around R4000 for us in South Africa... but I'm sure it'll be way more coz I remember the ps3 was at least R5000 at launch

DON'T BLINK

show me where there has been one direct conversion.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    $400 US for the base model sounds about right. For Aussies, it should be around $500 AU. I'm expecting to pay $600 AU for the fattest model.

Speculation of course, but those numbers sound palatable. Another $100 north of that and millions of us will wait for a price drop or go for a Wii U instead, so it needs to be competitively priced from the get-go.

Pre-orders in Oz list the PS4 at $899, but there's no way on Earth it'll be more expensive than the PS3 at launch.
    Not even $900 for the preorder is more than what the PS3 was at launch..

Last time I checked more than 6 years ago when I bought the PS3, the base price for the 60GB model was $1000.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Not even $900 for the preorder is more than what the PS3 was at launch..

Last time I checked more than 6 years ago when I bought the PS3, the base price for the 60GB model was $1000.
    That was a price gouge by the retailers as we were ushered into the most significant home entertainment change in a generation - HDTV and Blu-Ray.

I picked up my PS3 a few months after launch for $700. There's no way the PS4 will hit that price. The PS4 isn't as significant a leap in terms of supporting technology and the build cost is much cheaper by using readily available PC components, so $500 is a reasonable expectation for the base model.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 06-07-2013 at 06:26 AM.

PRO Member

If it's really that price I'd consider getting one at launch

Lvl 6 - Silver

Hopefully bout 350 over here in Blighty then! Maybe they could be darlings and push it down to 299 just for me and ill buy it at launch!